• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG 8K, 88 Inch OLED TV to Ship Next Month

maxxevv

Major Contributor
Immersive 3D perhaps.

They tried pushing that even before 4K, but the production costs were too high and the user experience was lacking.
Perhaps when costs of implementation comes down to a level that allows a more seamless user experience, there will be wide adaptation.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The thing that has made me not very interested in 4k (or above) is that like many people I watch video mostly via streaming. And even with fairly fat broadband "pipes," as far as I know cable companies and streaming services apply space-saving compression to their streams. So you're getting nominal 4k streaming content, but it is compressed, which at those high resolution levels has got to compromise and at least partially moot the entire point of higher-than-HD resolution, yes?

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The thing that has made me not very interested in 4k (or above) is that like many people I watch video mostly via streaming. And even with fairly fat broadband "pipes," as far as I know cable companies and streaming services apply space-saving compression to their streams. So you're getting nominal 4k streaming content, but it is compressed, which at those high resolution levels has got to compromise and at least partially moot the entire point of higher-than-HD resolution, yes?

Maybe that's why everyone is now marketing 5G :p

invaderzim

It seems a lot like a numbers bragging rights thing for the well off. "Mine is this many inches and this many K" I've found from talking to people and watching people shop that to a big percentage of shoppers the size and resolution number means much more to them than picture quality. I'm with Willem, my old Plasma's picture quality runs circles around most of the TVs that are out there. But I don't get to tell anyone it is 4K

Unless you have a dedicated theater room the benefit to me of a projector is that you can roll the screen up when not in use. I can't imagine wanting to watch many things on an 88 inch screen. Really good movies are much more immersive on a bigger screen but most of what is on TV, that is just barely worth watching to begin with, would annoy me on a screen that big.

Top Bottom