• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LG’s 97-inch Vibrating OLED TV Claims To Offer 5.1 Audio Without Speakers

Tks

Major Contributor

Sir Sanders Zingmore

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
“We haven't tested LG Display's Film CSO technology, but based on reviews of similar tech, there's a good chance that the audio will be at least as good as the integrated speakers in a traditional TV.”

Damning with faint praise

valerianf

I have tested this technology at the end of the 90’s.
It is fun, it 9roduces a really envelopping sound.
It has some limitations: no low frequencies (limited displacement), no high level sound (dbm are not at a concert level).
It should be good for cable news/TV show listening.

iMickey503

Forum Donor
That's a BIG TV. And it Vibrates? :cool:
1660206816842.png

OP
Tks

Tks

Major Contributor
I have tested this technology at the end of the 90’s.
It is fun, it 9roduces a really envelopping sound.
It has some limitations: no low frequencies (limited displacement), no high level sound (dbm are not at a concert level).
It should be good for cable news/TV show listening.

So what's the positive? If it's simply to be able to hide the speakers, we've had back-firing speakers for ages, and since folks that look for these kinds of things aren't concerned about fidelity, what precisely is the point of this? Or am I overthinking this and should I just understand this is something to reel in as many dumb folks as possible with attention grabbing news?

delta76

Major Contributor
So what's the positive? If it's simply to be able to hide the speakers, we've had back-firing speakers for ages, and since folks that look for these kinds of things aren't concerned about fidelity, what precisely is the point of this? Or am I overthinking this and should I just understand this is something to reel in as many dumb folks as possible with attention grabbing news?
there are many folks who care a lot about look/tidiness, i.e. they only want a tv on the wall, nothing more, not even a soundbar. claiming this tv has good speakers is a selling point to those people.

valerianf

"So what's the positive?"
The positive points are:
1) The sound come from the glass surface that is in front of the display --> better immersion in the action if close to the display.
2) Durst proof and water proof --> very useful for outdoor use (my application was outdoor advertising in the street).

I do not know how LG implemented it.
Do they use the front glass or do they drive only the frame material around the display panel?
As this LG panel is large, is the sound output level strong enough to drive a movie theater room?

antcollinet

Master Contributor
I'm sceptical that this anything other than a gimick

On the other hand I'm renowned for having my scepticism blown out of the water by impressive tech.

dlaloum

Major Contributor
There was talk in the 90's about using these kind of actuators, to create a new HiFi speakers category....

But it seems to have amounted to nothing - it doesn't seem to get past "Mid Fi"

Rednaxela

Major Contributor
Wouldn’t the .1 channel make the viewing experience a bit fuzzy?

Top Bottom