• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Level Up after Aune S6 - Suggestions

donpablo

Hello

Since 2 years I have been using Aune S6. My current setups are:
Aune S6 -> Stax SRM-252s -> RR1 Conquest and Stax L300 (modded)
Aune S6 -> XLR cables -> Little Dot MK3 SE -> XLR cable -> Hifiman HE-560 and Magister Kennerton

I am pretty happy from first setup and plan to invest in some closed back planars to fullfill my make my collection complete. However first setup is most important for me.

I am very curious how much money I have to spend to feel a real, audible step up from Aune S6 DAC(?)
What I am looking for is:
- great soundstage
- great separation, holography
- good bass control
- lush amphitheatric sound
- line out controlled with knob (I noticed that different % values of line out from Aune S6 are giving different sound results in Stax SRM-252s, probably because of that different amplification level of this amp has a bit different sound signature - I dont know if other electrostatic amps behave same way but I have to assume that).
- XLR outs
- XLR headphone IN (optional)

I know that DAC itself is not responsible for all of the above, but it gives a base to the amplificated signal, and if it is possible I would like to improve this base with better one.

Thank you in advance. (Prefferably I would not like to spend more than $1000, however if a 'level up' is not possible below that price than I will consider ;))

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What I am looking for is:
- great soundstage
- great separation, holography
- good bass control
- lush amphitheatric sound

I know that DAC itself is not responsible for all of the above, but it gives a base to the amplificated signal, and if it is possible I would like to improve this base with better one.

None of those are really determined by your DAC, but rather your source material, speakers and room / listening position (or headphones, fit and ear shape).

Last edited:

Krunok

Major Contributor
I am very curious how much money I have to spend to feel a real, audible step up from Aune S6 DAC(?)

Most probably your Aune S6 is absolutely transparent to your ears so you won't hear any difference if you swap it for another transparent DAC. If you want to improve SQ use EQ and/or buy yourself better headphones.

OP
donpablo

donpablo

@Krunok I suppose it will be hard to buy better headphones (I mean the open-backs one) than I have now for similar price they cost, even twice of that, so maybe what I should to do is to invest in better electrostatic amp? But this is quite expensive thing ;)

@Julf @Krunok Btw. so why people are so amazed of sonic experience describing Matrix X-Sabre Pro? They overpaid?

Krunok

Major Contributor
@Krunok I suppose it will be hard to buy better headphones (I mean the open-backs one) than I have now for similar price they cost, even twice of that, so maybe what I should to do is to invest in better electrostatic amp? But this is quite expensive thing ;)

Frankly, I think Little Dot is the weakest part of your chain.

OP
donpablo

donpablo

@Krunok Little Dot is not the part of my electrostatic chain (this one I listen most of the time now).

OP
donpablo

donpablo

@Krunok I have one of cheapest Stax amp, but level up 353X or 353s its about $800-1000 thing ;) and I cant listen to it anywhere here before purchase.

Krunok

Major Contributor
@Julf @Krunok Btw. so why people are so amazed of sonic experience describing Matrix X-Sabre Pro? They overpaid?

I don't know. My guess would be that some folks are impressed with measurements and simply won't to have state of the art technology as they can afford it, and there's nothing wrong in that.

The truth is however you will easilly find sub $300 DAC that would sound equally transparent as Sabre Pro.

OP
donpablo

donpablo

@Krunok Aune S6 has AKM 4495 and Matrix or Sabaj have ES9038Pro chip.
So there are no audible sonic differences between those 2 and their implementations in well made DAC?

OP
donpablo

donpablo

@daftcombo This actually might be true! :D I had just hope that there are better DACs than Aune S6 - you guys here are saying that no.
What about cables? Inerconnects, USB cable or tools like Audioquest JitterBug? Do they introduce any differences in sound in your opinion?

Krunok

Major Contributor
@daftcombo This actually might be true! :D I had just hope that there are better DACs than Aune S6 - you guys here are saying that no.
What about cables? Inerconnects, USB cable or tools like Audioquest JitterBug? Do they introduce any differences in sound in your opinion?

OMG, that's a big NO for all 3 of them.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

They might introduce differences in the form of crap sound. Search for totaldac GIGAFILTER for instance.

Top Bottom