• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk CD Players!

19lexicon78

the person who had the lhh 2000 also had the cd12 ken ishiwata modded version. preferred the lhh 2000.
i have sony cds/p-3000 =the sony lhh 2000 version. the philips is far better sounding. perhaps not all is a technical exercise

Last edited:

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Where are you finding this cheaply? I'd love a "turntable" style CD player like that when I don't want to mess with streaming.
It was quite a few years ago and the Hong Kong source I bought from no longer exists and the model I bought, the "Original" (brand name) da Vinci is no longer available as far as I can see.

https://www.china-hifi-audio.com/en

is similar to the place I bought from but I can not vouch for their trustworthiness, having never bought from them. There are plenty of top loaders available there.

Edit, I notice most are not available and those that are are not cheap - sorry.

Last edited:

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a Cambridge Audio Azur 540c as my daily driver in my office. I don’t make much use of ripped files or online streaming except as background listening. I’ve owned this CD player for at least twelve years, purchased used on eBay. It has been utterly reliable for all of that time.

Given the age of this CD player and the fact it was not TOTL when it was produced, the DAC is the weakest part of it’s performance. It’s a little dull and lackluster; amiable, but not highly resolved by today’s standards. I currently use it with a Schiit Modi 3 DAC connected by coax. For a small outlay, the Modi 3 was a notable improvement over the embedded DAC. The Modi 3 is audibly indistinguishable from the Bryston DAC I use in my main system, which would be no surprise to ASR followers.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I'm about to recommission a marantz cd 80 as a transport. I just prefer loading a disc to a tablet...

Dialectic

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The playback device that gets the most use in my house is my 21-year-old Sony CD megachanger. When I first got in 2000, I used it heavily for five years, and then it sat in a box for 15 years until I needed something to connect to a multiroom audio system.

The dot-matrix display had some dead dots when we first hooked it up after 15 years in storage, but with regular use, the entire display is working again.

An amazingly robust machine and more than good enough for its use case.

Last edited:

UniPolar

This thread gets 5 stars for longevity... Long live the CD format ( and the players. )
While I'm still buying CD's at a slow rate, and rip most of them to the server, I do enjoy spinning an occasional disc though.

I've got a stack of older players and donor parts along with several 'new' optical blocks if/when one decides to go bust.
I just purchased another parts unit for less than the shipping cost... At this point, I'm just not willing to spend much on a player or transport.

As for a possible resurrection of the CD format, I've been reading about how cassettes are hot now. I kind of get SOME of the reasons why, but who would have ever thought the 'compact cassette' would still be viable in 2021 ?

This gives me reason to think that CD's will also return from the dead brink of death.
Streaming may have put several additional nails in the coffin, but there is hope,
after all, every dog has his day....

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm buying a CD per week, on average. I mostly spin discs versus ripping. "Dying" formats sometimes have a way of resurrecting, but in the meanwhile, I hope to snatch up as many discounted CDs as I can.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This thread gets 5 stars for longevity... Long live the CD format
They promised us "perfect sound forever" and are staying on track with that. ;)

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As for a possible resurrection of the CD format, I've been reading about how cassettes are hot now. I kind of get SOME of the reasons why, but who would have ever thought the 'compact cassette' would still be viable in 2021 ? This gives me reason to think that CD's will also return from the dead brink of death.

I don't think it is likely, but your guess is as good as anyone's. Aside from the sonic issue (which when it was a new format was remarkable), CDs no longer have that advantage over what is readily out there--I mean downloaded files. In fact, for anyone that cares, downloaded files can easily be had in so-called Hi Res formats which have at least a marketing advantage over standard CD.

CD is simply a black box. You stick it in the slot, and music comes out. The CD format had at one time a major convenience factor (but little if any visual-aesthetic appeal). In fact, with few exceptions, CD players always looked like the black boxes they were. And the new ones don't even have the nice displays of the older models. From that standpoint, one might as well have a black box serving unlimited files, which is even more convenient and practical than a dedicated CD player.

Alternately, the record 'revival'... Records and their players possess a visual-kinetic aesthetic not present with either CDs or files. You can watch something spin around and fiddle with adjustments, change cartridges and so forth. You can hold an album cover in your hand and actually read the liner notes. You might get a poster or some other marketing insert to sweeten the deal. You might be able to learn to ignore the pops and ticks, or even to consider that a feature.

Cassettes have (or at least once had) a convenience factor. It's what you needed for your car, for your own mix. Will cassettes 'come back'? On a long term basis? Like records? No one needs that for their car anymore. The home? Possible production of a high-end top tier cassette deck is doable, but a stretch. Where is the tooling? That would likely have to be recast from the ground up. It's not like Nakamichi, Tandberg, ReVox et al have ready parts in a warehouse, just waiting for the call to assemble. It's not like Nakamichi, Tandberg, ReVox can even be called.

The old high-end decks (along with the mid-fi models) are wearing out, and replacement parts plus the skill to work on them are scarce (if you can even find a part and locate someone to work on them). The idea that you 'just need to change the belt' on a forty year old quartz locked logic controlled tape deck, and then you'll have something with factory specs that will last another forty years, is wishful. Cast metal frames will be intact, but once the plastic/rubber parts start to go where will you find replacements? From another forty year old deck? Good luck finding tape heads.

Is anyone making metal bias tapes (the ones that sounded best) anymore? Dolby Labs no longer licenses their NR for cassette media (which some claim is a good thing from a sonic perspective--I won't argue that), so you can forget about much in the way of high end S/N.

Go to Yoo Toob and search for xraytonyb's channel. He's spent the last month running down a Pioneer CT-F 1250, the last of the 'silver' top of the line Pioneers. So far he's completed six episodes on the deck. Very interesting tear down and refurb. Then ask yourself whether you really want to get involved in the format.

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
I don't think it is likely, but your guess is as good as anyone's. Aside from the sonic issue (which when it was a new format was remarkable), CDs no longer have that advantage over what is readily out there--I mean downloaded files. In fact, for anyone that cares, downloaded files can easily be had in so-called Hi Res formats which have at least a marketing advantage over standard CD.

CD is simply a black box. You stick it in the slot, and music comes out. The CD format had at one time a major convenience factor (but little if any visual-aesthetic appeal). In fact, with few exceptions, CD players always looked like the black boxes they were. And the new ones don't even have the nice displays of the older models. From that standpoint, one might as well have a black box serving unlimited files, which is even more convenient and practical than a dedicated CD player.

Alternately, the record 'revival'... Records and their players possess a visual-kinetic aesthetic not present with either CDs or files. You can watch something spin around and fiddle with adjustments, change cartridges and so forth. You can hold an album cover in your hand and actually read the liner notes. You might get a poster or some other marketing insert to sweeten the deal. You might be able to learn to ignore the pops and ticks, or even to consider that a feature.

Cassettes have (or at least once had) a convenience factor. It's what you needed for your car, for your own mix. Will cassettes 'come back'? On a long term basis? Like records? No one needs that for their car anymore. The home? Possible production of a high-end top tier cassette deck is doable, but a stretch. Where is the tooling? That would likely have to be recast from the ground up. It's not like Nakamichi, Tandberg, ReVox et al have ready parts in a warehouse, just waiting for the call to assemble. It's not like Nakamichi, Tandberg, ReVox can even be called.

The old high-end decks (along with the mid-fi models) are wearing out, and replacement parts plus the skill to work on them are scarce (if you can even find a part and locate someone to work on them). The idea that you 'just need to change the belt' on a forty year old quartz locked logic controlled tape deck, and then you'll have something with factory specs that will last another forty years, is wishful. Cast metal frames will be intact, but once the plastic/rubber parts start to go where will you find replacements? From another forty year old deck? Good luck finding tape heads.

Is anyone making metal bias tapes (the ones that sounded best) anymore? Dolby Labs no longer licenses their NR for cassette media (which some claim is a good thing from a sonic perspective--I won't argue that), so you can forget about much in the way of high end S/N.

Go to Yoo Toob and search for xraytonyb's channel. He's spent the last month running down a Pioneer CT-F 1250, the last of the 'silver' top of the line Pioneers. So far he's completed six episodes on the deck. Very interesting tear down and refurb. Then ask yourself whether you really want to get involved in the format.

Brutal assessment, but true. :)

MCH

Major Contributor
Playing CDs still gives me a little bit of this feeling you have when handling vinyls. Not the same thing, sure, but some of the booklets written during the golden days of CD reissues, and even more recently, by top trier music writers and people involved in the original recordings are excellent and cannot be found anywhere else. As an example last week I was listening to a Screamin' Jay Hawkins compilation and reading the little booklet notes by Neil Slaven was a great complement to the experience. Where else can you find that? Maybe somewhere else, but nowhere I know about or that I want to waste my time searching for, specially if I don't even know that it exists...

Last edited:

UniPolar

records and their players possess a visual-kinetic aesthetic not present with either CDs or files
Your post is probably the most thoughtful and accurate assessment I've ever read .. Bravo !

Lacking the visual and tactile appeal, the intrinsic value - if any - of the CD format is possibly in the 'archival' (longevity) quality of the discs. At least for the average Joe consumer.

CD 'rot' aside, tape when stored properly and cared for can also survive for long periods - or at least that's my perception ( which may not be accurate....) But then the typical consumer -who can be brutal on every format,- may find CD's to survive longer, though there may be no clear winner here...

Bottom line for me, is I'll hold on the the discs if for no other reason than the extreme possibility that streaming may suddenly disappear one day..

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The aesthetics of CDs is a matter of age perspective, I expect. It’s not as mechanically interesting as vinyl for those of us who grew up with vinyl. But “children of the 80’s” might see CDs with different eyes. Maybe not. We’ll see when they reach the “nostalgic for our youth” stage.

But I still wonder what happens when the downloads I bought go poof! because my server failed or the company that serves me goes belly-up.

I bought one download—Richard Hickox’s version of the unedited Vaughan Williams 2nd Symphony. It’s on my iPhone. If I want to listen to it in the car, I have to go through the car’s dreadful player software to get it through Bluetooth. To play it on my home system, I have to have Airplay if I want better-than-Bluetooth quality. To play it from iTunes on a computer, the first thing I have to do is download a couple of gigabytes of software updates before the iTunes bloatware will play it. I end up not listening to it. I wish I had it on CD—I’d be able to rip that and keep it with all my other rips. Owning a CD is a perpetual right to enjoy it, without depending on rented infrastructure.

Rick “whose internet is expensive and limited, as it is for too many rural Americans” Denney

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The aesthetics of CDs is a matter of age perspective, I expect. It’s not as mechanically interesting as vinyl for those of us who grew up with vinyl. But “children of the 80’s” might see CDs with different eyes. Maybe not. We’ll see when they reach the “nostalgic for our youth” stage.

But I still wonder what happens when the downloads I bought go poof! because my server failed or the company that serves me goes belly-up.

I bought one download—Richard Hickox’s version of the unedited Vaughan Williams 2nd Symphony. It’s on my iPhone. If I want to listen to it in the car, I have to go through the car’s dreadful player software to get it through Bluetooth. To play it on my home system, I have to have Airplay if I want better-than-Bluetooth quality. To play it from iTunes on a computer, the first thing I have to do is download a couple of gigabytes of software updates before the iTunes bloatware will play it. I end up not listening to it. I wish I had it on CD—I’d be able to rip that and keep it with all my other rips. Owning a CD is a perpetual right to enjoy it, without depending on rented infrastructure.

Rick “whose internet is expensive and limited, as it is for too many rural Americans” Denney
I tend to agree.
The only downside to CDs here is the clutter, and since I am not bothered by that, and lots of random surfaces probably isn't bad acoustically I put up with it.
As a mainly classical music listener I got bored changing the tags on discs I ripped to find what I wanted.
I ripped CDs all the time I was travelling (or at least from around the millennium when portable players were OK) but stopped when I retired.

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning

For the most part digital downloads offer no quality improvement over a CD. Even so called 'Hi Res' downloads are almost always just an upsampled version of the CD, and as Amir has demonstrated in a previous post, very few 'Hi Res' downloads have any useable content above 20kHz and they are mostly all truncated at that frequency.

If we had access to 16/48k studio masters then maybe it might be possible that a downloaded file created from such a master might sound slightly better than a CD, but I doubt it.

sq225917

Major Contributor
I bailed on the cd80 idea and purchased a pair of original audiolb cdm transports with the philips cdm pro 9 swing arm mech in them. I've recapped one and am in process of reassembling it with the best cosmetic parts from the pair. I have a serviced laser in the post which I'll keep as a back up and then flog the cosmetic 2nd to offset my costs. Both needed belts and bulbs so we're only 100 quid each.

Serviced, even the ugly one will fetch double what it cost.

Sounds identical to my laptop into the dac, but scratches that physical object itch.

Should see me good for another 20 years.

levimax

Major Contributor
From what I am seeing a CD revival is all ready under way. In my area the thrifts are starting to get out of the CD business (not worth the trouble for $0.99 I guess) which leaves only "record stores" , ebay, and Discogs. While there is a glut of common titles and compilations older sought after titles are getting harder to find and prices are on there way up. The one thing that many "original CD's" have going for them is that they are probably as close to the master tape as consumers will ever get. The remasters of popular titles (many all ready on their 3rd or 4th go around) get further and further away from the master tapes as worn tapes, added EQ, massive compression, added effects, and MQA take their toll. Unlike old LP's an old CD will play clean and quiet. I think the CD revival will eventually be much like the LP revival ..... without all the surface noise.

Top Bottom