• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk CD Players!

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since the thread was resuscitated, I'll add my own.

I've said here before that I choose to sustain the ability to play CD's in real time, because that is the right that I purchased when I bought the CD.

I agree with much of what Restorer-John writes in this thread, but I have higher regard for some of the Philips mechanisms than does he.

Generally, I have found that CD's that are hard to read cause the servo mechanism to apply high accelerations to the disk, and therefore the disk must be reliably clamped to work reliably. One of the problems of bad belts is that the magnet clamp is not always fully dropped down onto the disk, which results in read errors, which causes those accelerations, which causes the disk to slip even worse. I've never had a problem with a laser, but as John says, all the flaky lasers from overused vintage players are long since in the landfill. I'm always having to do something with the loading mechanism.

My fleet:

Magnavox CDB-650, from the middle 80's, which I bought new. This was a rebadged Philips unit, very good on the inside but cheap on the outside to hold the price point down. Philips CDM2 transport and TDA1541 4x-oversampling DAC. This was known to be a good-sounding player back when they weren't all such. Needs a belt now--the drawer won't close all the way. Remote uses the Philips RC5 protocol.

Denon DCD1560--Sony KSS151a laser, which is excellent. The drawer mechanism is a PITA--it uses the tension on a fairly thick and wide belt to lock the drawer closed, and the drawer motor must have the power to stretch that belt enough to release the latch. It does not do so reliably. Burr-Brown PCM1701 18-bit R2R DAC. It plays CDRs with no issue, when the disk loads. The remote does not use the Philips RC-5 protocol.

Tascam CD401 (two of them), from 1990 or 1991. Balanced and RCA outputs, and intended for use in radio stations. A pair of Burr-Brown PCM54HP DACs, and a Sony KSS151a laser. The belts on these are easy to find and take five minutes to replace. No remote, and least I didn't get them. These will play difficult CD's pretty well. These have been my mainstays, but they don't have remotes, and their aesthetics are...radio station.

Cambridge Audio D500SE, from the late 90's. Sony KSS213 laser mechanism. Cirrus CS4391 DAC. Plays well, but the display is not overly informative. Remote does not use Philips RC-5 protocol. This one has a shuttle wheel instead of buttons for track selection and searching, and I can't say I'm a fan. But it plays well. This one would not play CDR's reliably until I replaced the belt--now it's solid.

Cambridge Audio CXC, from recently, though I bought it used off ebay. Display is dim, but it works very well otherwise. Sanyo drive. This is a transport only, so there is no internal DAC. I'm using a Topping E30 in DAC mode (not in preamp mode) and it works perfectly. Surprisingly, I suppose, this unit does respond to the Philips RC-5 remote protocols. The CXC plays well but will not always plow through difficult CDs.

Naim CD5, from 2002, which I bought recently from a reputable restorer. TDA1305 DAC, and Philips CDM-12.5 / VAM1205 transport and laser. The real advantage to this player is the drawer, which is a manually operated tray that rotates out from the front. The tray contains the transport and laser. The CD is clamped using a magnetic puck that is manually placed. Thus, there are no belts in this player and I believe this will be quite reliable and sustainable, as long as the laser diode holds up. This player really exposes the flaws of insufficient clamping with troubled disks. As arrived, it would not reliably play CDRs that shows much damage, though it would play it about half the time. The CXC couldn't touch that disk at all, but the Tascam could play it reliably. So, I ordered a puck for a CD5si, which looks the same from the top but uses a much stronger neodymium magnet. That locks the CD onto the spindle very solidly and the servo isn't fighting slippage trying to read poor disks. Now, it will read anything. The remote uses the Philips RC-5 protocol, which means that both the CXC and the Naim will respond to the same remote, and shuttling back and forth between them to keep music going (not a use case for me) will require front panel action. This is my only CD player without a digital output, but I don't need or use them (except for the CXC, of course).

On the more general topic of CD Players versus computer drive-based devices, it has already been mentioned that the better pure CD players were designed for real-time operation, not for buffering data at high speed. I am ripping most of my CD's because my car doesn't have one, but I still prefer to play the CD directly when I'm at home. For ripping, I'm using the tray drive in a laptop. It's most unsatisfying--I have to force the CD over the spindle so that it clips in place, and the whole drawer is clearly designed for occasional use for loading software. The desktop-computer CD trays are better, but still very clearly made to be cheap. The Sanyo in the Cambridge Audio CXC is in that category--the plastic mechanism and gears are rattly and loose, and don't give the impression that they will last the ages. John may think the Philips transports aren't as well-designed as the higher-end Sonys, but old ones still seem to work. And when I insert a CD into a dedicated audio-only CD player, I can usually be listening to music within five seconds.

Rick "finding that the old DACs--even the 16-bit DACs--make music just as well as the current state of the art" Denney

Vini darko

Major Contributor
I recently got a new cd player , 2001 sony dvp-ns4000 dvd player for a tenner off ebay does the job of sending spdif to my dac just fine.

amper42

Major Contributor
I have the DCD-600NE CD Player with AL32 Processing and the DCD-800NE CD Player with Advanced AL32 Processing Plus. They both sound great and I like the fact that I can control them with the Denon 4700 remote.

The problem is I actually prefer listening to my ripped AIFF CD's via Audirvana and I rarely use these CD players anymore. :D

Harmonie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm still using a CD transport, an EAD T-1000 with a Pioneer mechanism; works flawlessly .
I like the ceremony of putting a disk in.
Like putting a vinyl in those days and holding the arm over the rotating disks.

That gives a thread to the most beautiful CD players and there so many of them, pieces (and price) of jewellery sometimes.

krott5333

I have an Audiolab 6000cdt transport. Bought it about two months ago. So far so good.

walt99

Forum Donor
Have this one probably 20yrs+, still works perfect and sounds great, Rotel RCD-855
However since I started streaming it doesn't get much love anymore....

i-KFx9xwJ-M.jpg

Last edited:

Robin L

Master Contributor
Got two of these [not exactly alike: the fascia and layout is identical, the model # isn't, but they function the same] for a total of about $30 from thrift stores. They have coax outs, so hooking this up to the Topping E30 to use as a CD player is nothing. The other BluRay player is hooked up to a Toshiba 32" monitor and a Yamaha AV receiver. The receiver is hooked up to a/d/s 400 speakers and a Sonance powered sub. But as of now, I'm getting my music from either a laptop or a DAP, video from the laptop, three different flavors of headphone. Have a Samsung DVD reader/writer for ripping CDs, save the rips as Apple Lossless.

IMG_20210325_072625401.jpg

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
I still have my TAD D1000 but since getting a dedicated LG phone to use as a streaming device iv not played any CDs . I like the 10 band EQ which iv dialed in via room measurements and by ear. If I play CDs directly I lose that function and to me its the best thing iv come across in terms of increasing enjoyment of music via the hifi .

I do however tend to miss physically going through my cds , id ofen see things in the pile and play them having forgotten all about them . The flip side of that is the ability to find music easily with Amazon Muisc and their service that can carry on playing music related to your choice after your albums finished , iv found new music that way.

I'm very visual though , looking at my cds prompts me to play things in a way merely ' thinking about ' what I'd like doesn't . I'm not looking forward to putting all my CDs in boxes for that reason .

Another plus for steaming music via the phone into the TAD is the ability for other people to suggest music and share it easily. This has increased my enjoyment of my hifi and made it more accessible for others.

All in all if my cd player broke but the DAC part still worked ( happens , it happened to me with a Krell 20il) id not likely bother getting a transport.

CMB

I barely never listen to my CD anymore, because I find everything quicker on Tidal.
However, I keep all my CDs for this :
Thorens CD.jpg

Still at a friends house, but will pick it up after Covid and connect to RME ADI DAC :).

OP
typericey

typericey

FWIW, this is what I usually listen to when the source is CD -- the transport was a dump find.

BDA-1 plus DVD-1730 by Mark Hardy, on Flickr

I used a "Walmart" DVD player as a transport before (hooked up to an integrated with DAC) and they sounded fine. My only gripe is that they took forever to scan CDs. Now I use an entry level Marantz CD5005 which is a CD playback only machine. The experience/ritual of using it feels more "normal."

DannoFP1

I use a Rotel Cd11 tribute. I like buying second hand CDs for a couple dollars from charity shops. Putting a CD on also encourages me to listen to a whole album rather than jump around in a playlist.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
- Do you still own a dedicated* CD Player (or players)? *plays CDs only Why or why not?

I own a Yamaha CD-S 1000. It's a solid device, very, very heavy, almost no plastic inside. It plays SACD and i have a good bunch of those. If i want to listen to them, i need to use this player, since i found no way to rip them nor did i find my "backups" shared elsewhere.

Bought it used for 200€, the seller said the door doesn't open. Risky! But i could just pass it on to another, more competent, enthusiast, in case i wasn't able to repair it.

Once home i opened it, put the string that transports the door back on, and everything worked fine since. :)

Here is an older pic (i have since sold the A-S1000 and replaced it with a A-S1200, which has standby and VU-meters).

IMG_20201019_112824.jpg

While i was in it for repair, i made a few pics. Once you take the hood and wooden side panels off, you see this:

1.jpg

Remove the panel in the middle, and you can see the well shielded sections:

2.jpg

Overengineered for sure, but who am i to complain. I mean, look at that power supply! :)

The missing parts in the analog output section are for the higher end CD-S2000 with balanced output, the CD-S1000 has RCA and SPDIF only. Near the black band in the analog board are the Burr Brown DACs.

Would be nice to get it measured by Amir, but shipping from Europe would be risky and pricey.

Last edited:

Herbert

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For the Moment, I am working on making my Nakamichi CD-player "beltless".
The belt is the only part that wears over time and it had to be replaced twice (The tray is gear driven)
Before:
Before.jpg

After:
IMG_5672.JPG

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Herbert

Aber laut, wenn er stoppt oder man zum nächsten Stück springt.
Ansonsten beim Abspielen so leise wie mit Riemen.

But loud, when you stop playback or skip to the next track.
Fortunately, normal playback is as quiet as with the original belt.

TheDude

Interesting thread. I hope I can pick some brains. I switched from cd playback to an intel nuc and jriver some years ago when to my ears my lowly cd player was outclassed by the new tech. I currently have an Audiolab 8300 cd player, not the latest mqa one. That I would play aes out into Topping D90 then straight to twin Schitt Vidar. Still preferred the nuc playback. Now, a revelation. The new Topping pre 90 in the chain has enhanced my enjoyment of cd playback immensely. Different sound altogether.

So on the asr front what are you all finding is the most revealing sound source? As has been mentioned in this thread cd is old tech yet does it need a 'high end' 'expensive' player to dredge out a highly detailed rendering of what was recorded in the mastering? Are you getting this detail from av players? Granted the rest of the playback chain needs to be able to pass through the data from a resolving source. The question is what, perhaps the science says, is the best form for that source to take ie to be played on or from? What are your experiences guys?

Herbert

I have a Sony-CDP-101 (one of the first players from 1982)
but also players from the nineties and DACs like the Khadas.
Frankly I would still call the difference between them rather small.
Sometimes I even like the grainy sound of the Sony that has
no oversamling,only one DAC and therefor a 40ms delay between channels.
Plug one of the budget DACs tested here to your player and be happy.

Top Bottom