• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lets talk cables

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
You know, I've never downloaded a musical track from the internet, streamed audio or bought anything on iTunes, but I excitedly listened to your f#$king triboelectric sounds.

I'm such a geek.
I think you earn double geek points for that.

Oukkidoukki

This cable thing is mysterious....year after year debate keeps going and no conclusion in sight. I also made comparison year ago and went with couple hundred cable (from dac to active speakers) , never thought I would do that but couldn`t back off after my test. Cables were unshielded......ok, next is nuts and my thinking only.............. I have been listening khadas tone board dac....there is no case......it sounds like there is no case...that it is in open air........so I have started to think is there some quantum mechanical parameters in electricity etc. that we can`t measure.....unshielded cables, dac with no case.......space, matter and time...

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
This cable thing is mysterious....year after year debate keeps going and no conclusion in sight. I also made comparison year ago and went with couple hundred cable (from dac to active speakers) , never thought I would do that but couldn`t back off after my test. Cables were unshielded......ok, next is nuts and my thinking only.............. I have been listening khadas tone board dac....there is no case......it sounds like there is no case...that it is in open air........so I have started to think is there some quantum mechanical parameters in electricity etc. that we can`t measure.....unshielded cables, dac with no case.......space, matter and time...
Did ya ever watch David Copperfield make that Boeing 747 disappear off the runway? Maybe he manipulated the quantum mechanical parameters of the fuselage, allowing it to become invisible, or be transported to another place?
Beam me up Scotty.
Oh brother :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

derp1n

Dude, quit Bogarting the joint.

Oukkidoukki

Dude, quit Bogarting the joint.

I must admit I took some wine after putting acustic panels ...... :).....first they laugh at you, then they hate you.....then u win....dalai lama....science is like that..........somebody probably laughed at einstein.....they laugh no more
281F89BC-F5D6-494F-AB25-7F4F8C298A4B.jpeg

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Wombat

Master Contributor
I must admit I took some wine after putting acustic panels ...... :).....first they laugh at you, then they hate you.....then u win....dalai lama....science is like that..........somebody probably laughed at einstein.....they laugh no moreView attachment 17555

I am getting a sense of deja vu. o_O

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
I must admit I took some wine after putting acustic panels ...... :).....first they laugh at you, then they hate you.....then u win....dalai lama....science is like that..........somebody probably laughed at einstein.....they laugh no moreView attachment 17555

What brand are those?

They're more attractive than the standard "make a silent chamber in the basement the neighbors wont' see" kind I'm familiar with...

Theo

I love the chandelier... It must be good at breaking stationary waves!;) Speaking of cable and barbed wire, have you tried those?
nunchaku_parts.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
At one time I was pretty proficient with Nunchaku, but I don't remember learning all those parts, just how to not break my own bones with the things.

Oukkidoukki

I went back to panel shop, 5euros each, not bad they look quite funky.....asked the brand but theres none....they produced them in some china factory....these are left overs so thats why so cheap...
received_305727426934539.jpeg

THW

Forum Donor
for me the only reason to ever buy cables is if they’re built a lot better than the stock ones that you have, balanced can make a difference from what I read but even then that also requires gear that supports balanced output throughout unless I’m mistaken

and even then there is no way I’m going to pay $1000 in cables for a pair of, say, $300 headphones lol

DuxServit

Forum Donor
If only they sold cheap but expensive-looking braided cable wrappers. I could then wrap my $5 cables to look like $5K cables and brag to my neighbors :cool:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
If only they sold cheap but expensive-looking braided cable wrappers. I could then wrap my $5 cables to look like $5K cables and brag to my neighbors :cool:

Do a search -- there are bazillions (more or less) of cable wraps available from Amazon and all the parts places. Fancy cables is a popular DIY project.

Wombat

Master Contributor

Like these? Cable Sleeves ;)

They are readily available from various online suppliers.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Most expensive cables I've ever seen were some HV cables to connect a new power plant to the transmission system. The power plant builder who was contracted under a turn key arrangement omitted to order the cables. By the time this was identified they could only source them from one vendor who realising the situation screwed them for $$$$$$$$$$'s. And they weren't acceptable to my employer who made an agreement to take them to enable completion and handover on condition they were replaced at the builder cost within a year of handover. The turnkey contractor then had to hire an An124 to airlift them to the UK, then pay to swap them out for the originally specified cables. Now they were expensive cables, so expensive even Michael Fremer would've been impressed (it was in the tens of millions of dollars by the end).

cjfrbw

Whatever rotgut or vaguely decent cables I have stockpiled over the years of fruitless query and expectation bias
IMG_0422.JPG

Top Bottom