• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lets talk cables

Wombat

Master Contributor
I already accepted what knowledgeable people told me, i tried it and im satisfied with the results.

But this is not a matter of satisfaction. Difference between this and majority of other forums is that here we get some measurements and their explanations in regards to their operation and influence. What i want is measured cables, their influence on types of amplification and in the end summary of amp-cable-speaker symbiosis based on least amount of signal degradation. I'm not looking for the holy grail of cables, anyone that committed to audio at least a bit knows its impossible. But its impossible not cause it cannot be done but rather for the lack of actual down to earth measurements of elements and their combined influence on signal. If i had such knowledge i would share it wholeheartedly. If i ever get it ill be sure to.

P.S. Knowledge is shareable, experience not so much...

As I said, it is out there. Go for it, chase it.

Try Googling 'loudspeaker cables papers'. Lots of sites, lots of opinions but if you read enough of them you will get a better idea of the basics compared to sales oriented cherry-picking. Put in the time. The 'academic papers' usually are more reliable.

Last edited:
OP
P

palamudin

But but... im already here. :D

Theo

Wombat

Master Contributor
The only conclusion I got from these measurements is that cables may only change the volume (very little). And that we may detect a little bit of fishiness ;) in the lower end of the phase spectrum, although I am not sure how to explain that?

Test method/equipment likely. Pretty casual approach.

Fitzcaraldo215

Major Contributor
Wow, I was looking through this thread for my input and did not find any. I know I have been busy but....

So, the only thing a cable (talking speaker cable here) can do is degrade the signal through it, so yes, all cables affect the signal. Now, its that combination of amp, cable and speaker that need to be taken into account.

A cable can only be compared to another cable in the same system, as the amp and the load simply play with one another through the cable. OF course, a voltage source (such as ss amp with global feedback) or a tube amp with a high output impedance will play differently, and although some of this is the effect of the cable, mostly its the amps differences so the cable is not as relevant, but is still relevant. The R in LCR surely affects the damping factor of the entire system and therefore the sound. At high frequencies the L of the cable can act as a frequency dependent resistor and affect the sound. The C in LCR is usually pretty small but as it increases then some amps can become unstable and oscillate some and these oscillations combine and affect sound.

Audio Critic did some nice tests showing how FR was affected by different types and lengths of cables using the same amp and load.

There is a ton of good information just needs to be googled I guess.

To sum up, as we represent a cable as LCR, then we acknowledge that it is a filter, and therefore depending on its values of L, C and R we change its filtering characteristics.

Yes, cables do affect the sound, however, getting audibility with music you need about maybe 1db of change, and that's doable, but not usual, between low LCR designed cables, and again, its the cable interaction with the amp and the speaker that brings out the "cables" sound, so to speak. Cables change the way the amp sees the speaker. Best cable is short cable with least amount of L,C and R. Bottom line, as the cable interacts with amp and speaker, if you did hear some benefit with it in my system, does not mean you would hear it in your system
I agree. I think what Aczel showed with speaker cables is that cable LRC, within reasonable bounds, had very slight effects of at best arguable audibility with decent SS amps into "typical" speaker loads. With tube amps, the effect was larger and more likely audible. He did not attempt to do SET amps, but those as a group are ridiculously sensitive to cable/speaker loading.

My own personal experience dovetails exactly with this.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
If memory serves (Aczel just rehashed Fred Davis and Dick Greiner, who covered the field fully), there was LESS of a variation between wires with high source Z tube amps, mostly because the high source Z swamped the cable's effect. Now, overall, the frequency response variations were greater with the high Z amp because of the amp, but the difference between cables with that amp was minimized.

Bottom line: use reasonable low DCR wires for your speakers. #12 zip cord will be perfectly fine 99.9% of the time.

And avoid speaker designs where the chimp designer ignored severe impedance dips (cough, cough, Wilson, cough, cough).

Jakob1863

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Much more data would help. But, first, there is the question of just how much sonic difference do cables make at all?

The same problem as always, because it depends on the devices involved and on the listeners.
I have stated it quite often in other threads, the variability among listeners is (means "can be") large; see for example - although not so much related to fine details - the discussion between members listening through the room even below "Schroeder" and other members expressing their disbelief.
There simply is no objective gamut for importance/relevance of sonic properties to individuals.

<snip>
But, most of those arguments are not burning issues these days because the subjective sonic impact of cables is so vanishingly small to most audiophiles who are honest with themselves.

That might be true or not, but i was talking up to now about the physical foundations that should be not neglected when talking about cables.

Believe me, I have listened to a lot of cables myself, and most were sonically insignificant in spite of price. I did discover a few that were noticeably worse subjectively than others, but only a few. So, listening for the tiny, at best, cable differences is no fun. It quickly becomes pointless and boring beyond belief.

Again, that might be true or not, which way could i evaluate it? There is no data given and how could i evaluate even further conclusions about all other permutations of equipment and listeners?

<snip> Blind listening tests are similarly useless due to reconnection time, unless a special switch box is used.

The argument seems to rely on the "weak auditory memory myth" , there is again no data available; although i´ve read hundreds of papers on auditory memory research i´m not aware of experiments that examine the question what degree of a difference (and what kind of difference) is associated with impossibility for transfer to longer lasting storage.

<snip>Like you, he relied on unsubstantiated conjecture about mysterious things beyond any known science,.......<snip>

Like me? Could you please specify where i relied on "unsubstatiated conjecture about mysterious things beyond any known science" ??

At a first glance it seems to me that you now resort to the eristic bag of tricks - what the Wombats and SIYs never fail to do, when unaible to provide substantial arguments - but i´ll give you the benefit of doubt. Might be misunderstanding or misinterpretation?!

You don't believe, I hope, that boutique audio specialty cable guys invest in the heavy equipment to cast and draw their own wire for the tiny audiophile market?

Although i don´t know what "boutique" in this regard should mean, i´ll use the term and to state that the "boutique" satellite manufacturer don´t invest in this kind of "heavy equipment" but what´s the point?

<snip> But, no, for the most part, the boutiques outsource that job to specification to established bulk wire makers, which are numerous.

The "boutique" satellite manufactuerers outsource the production of speciality cable not to the numerous bulk wire makers but to the not so numerous (mainly small) manufacturers able to produce what they need, and so does anybody who needs special cables.

We were discussing for example effects related to triboelectricity and the need for low capacitance cables in case where the input capacitance of the amplifiers is already a bit on the high side.
I hope we don´t need to discuss why from an EE point of view a balanced shielded twisted pair (shield only connected at the amplifier input side) is a good choice?!

But, again, where is the compelling factual evidence that fine details of cable construction make any sonic difference at all except in your head?

Again, as you might remember i was the only one in this thread who provided some actual data from experimental research related to triboelectricity. If you can´t accept that it is obviously related to knowledge of physical properties and quality appreciation i´m puzzled but don´t know what to add further.
The same holds true for the capacitance issue and the advantage of a twisted shielded pair, that the relevance of all this depends on the environment in which the components are placed should be obvious; if no external (possibly interfering) fields are existent, it doesn´t matter if you follow good engineering practice.

<snip>The cable guys make the claims and invent the myths, blindly accepted then embellished into la-la land by audiophiles. It is up to all of them to back that up with hard evidence.

At that point we obviously agree; but it´s a bit dangerous as the underlying principle means that the person who states something as fact should be able to provide evidence.
Plausibility, strong belief or the like are not sufficient.

So please be careful in stating as a fact that something exist only in somebody´s head..... :)

That they do not and will not speaks volumes.

Which seams to be more a belief (the "speak volumes" part) .
Ask yourself, maybe some "boutique" cable seller could offer evidence for the audiblity due to a questionable effect. Would it really help in selling the cable?
Imo there isn´t much evidence that in luxury markets evidence is important for success. :)

Jakob1863

Short remark to the "inherently unstable amplifier", the analog amplifier with negative feedback is per se "inherently unstable" when used in the real world where load conditions and external fields always lower the so-called phase margin of the design.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
And that we may detect a little bit of fishiness ;) in the lower end of the phase spectrum, although I am not sure how to explain that?

It's an in-room measurement, and, in my limited experience here doing in-room, there is a relatively high level of essentially inaudible but measureable ambient noise in the low frequencies.

Distant traffic, air conditioners, helicopters, thunderstorms, etc. Low frequencies travel far and go right through most barriers.

Background noise upsets distortion measurements, as well.

Wombat

Master Contributor
Short remark to the "inherently unstable amplifier", the analog amplifier with negative feedback is per se "inherently unstable" when used in the real world where load conditions and external fields always lower the so-called phase margin of the design.

Huh? These things are dealt with in the design process in the 'real world'.

I considered that my use of the term 'inherently unstable amplifier' applied to an amplifier intended for audio use that had design weaknesses that could enable oscillation under normal audio use vs an amplifier, well designed , that would not.

Audio forum, audio cables, audio amplifier, audio topic, audio design, audio comment-audio period.

You chose to pick apart a statement using semantics rather than consider the point that was being made. Not for the first time.

https://www.quora.com/Is-there-a-wo...king-apart-their-literal-words-in-an-argument
The Chinese interpretation is a good one - last post in the above link.

Background info. Stability of feedback amplifiers: https://coefs.uncc.edu/dlsharer/files/2012/04/I6.pdf Stability is designed into amplifiers to suit applications, sometimes not competently.

Last edited:

Wombat

Master Contributor
The same problem as always, because it depends on the devices involved and on the listeners.
I have stated it quite often in other threads, the variability among listeners is (means "can be") large; see for example - although not so much related to fine details - the discussion between members listening through the room even below "Schroeder" and other members expressing their disbelief.
There simply is no objective gamut for importance/relevance of sonic properties to individuals.

That might be true or not, but i was talking up to now about the physical foundations that should be not neglected when talking about cables.

Again, that might be true or not, which way could i evaluate it? There is no data given and how could i evaluate even further conclusions about all other permutations of equipment and listeners?

The argument seems to rely on the "weak auditory memory myth" , there is again no data available; although i´ve read hundreds of papers on auditory memory research i´m not aware of experiments that examine the question what degree of a difference (and what kind of difference) is associated with impossibility for transfer to longer lasting storage.

Like me? Could you please specify where i relied on "unsubstatiated conjecture about mysterious things beyond any known science" ??

At a first glance it seems to me that you now resort to the eristic bag of tricks - what the Wombats and SIYs never fail to do, when unaible to provide substantial arguments - but i´ll give you the benefit of doubt. Might be misunderstanding or misinterpretation?!

Although i don´t know what "boutique" in this regard should mean, i´ll use the term and to state that the "boutique" satellite manufacturer don´t invest in this kind of "heavy equipment" but what´s the point?

The "boutique" satellite manufactuerers outsource the production of speciality cable not to the numerous bulk wire makers but to the not so numerous (mainly small) manufacturers able to produce what they need, and so does anybody who needs special cables.

We were discussing for example effects related to triboelectricity and the need for low capacitance cables in case where the input capacitance of the amplifiers is already a bit on the high side.
I hope we don´t need to discuss why from an EE point of view a balanced shielded twisted pair (shield only connected at the amplifier input side) is a good choice?!

Again, as you might remember i was the only one in this thread who provided some actual data from experimental research related to triboelectricity. If you can´t accept that it is obviously related to knowledge of physical properties and quality appreciation i´m puzzled but don´t know what to add further.
The same holds true for the capacitance issue and the advantage of a twisted shielded pair, that the relevance of all this depends on the environment in which the components are placed should be obvious; if no external (possibly interfering) fields are existent, it doesn´t matter if you follow good engineering practice.

At that point we obviously agree; but it´s a bit dangerous as the underlying principle means that the person who states something as fact should be able to provide evidence.
Plausibility, strong belief or the like are not sufficient.

So please be careful in stating as a fact that something exist only in somebody´s head..... :)

Which seams to be more a belief (the "speak volumes" part) .
Ask yourself, maybe some "boutique" cable seller could offer evidence for the audiblity due to a questionable effect. Would it really help in selling the cable?
Imo there isn´t much evidence that in luxury markets evidence is important for success. :)

"Eristic bag of tricks". Thanks. Add that to my comments on your posting styles. o_O

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eristic

Relevance: Response to a particular reference to me in the above post.

Sigh, the same old tired defences from the subjective sensorists keep coming even though they have long been discredited in rational terms.
Repetition doesn't change the reality but the acolytes lap it up.

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I'm sure there was a point in there, desperately trying to get out, but finding it would take more effort than I'm willing to put in.

In the meantime, perfectly ordinary wires work perfectly well for transport of low frequency signals from point A to point B. After 30+ years of the exotic wire racket, there is zero controlled listening evidence to the contrary, so it's a pretty safe assumption at this point that no such evidence will be forthcoming.

Cue the next wall of words.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

Jakob1863

Huh? These things are dealt with in the design process in the 'real world'.

I considered that my use of the term 'inherently unstable amplifier' applied to an amplifier intended for audio use that had design weaknesses that could enable oscillation under normal audio use vs an amplifier, well designed , that would not.

Ok. That intention wasn´t clear to me, as i read your sentence as "only an inherently unstable amplifier" (means one that already without loading, a sufficiently fast input signal would lead to rising output signal- level wise only restricted by the clipping voltage) can have a problem with ........ .

Therefore my remark that any amplifer with negative feedback in the real world is in fact (at least than) an inherently unstable amplifier as by principially the max phase reserve has an upper bound and by design most (if not all amplifiers) are very much below that number.

Audio forum, audio cables, audio amplifier, audio topic, audio design, audio comment-audio period.

Yeah, but you surely don´t want to assert that every amplifier ever built/designed is compatible with every cable idea, loudspeaker combination? A lot of vintage gear is still in use, therefore my remark. (And yes i noticed that you wisely excluded electrostatic loudspeakers)
Most likely there exists for every amplifier a load condition / input signal condition that leads to (partial) oscillation. Imo it is better to suggest being cautious instead of assuming that nothing (potentially dangerous) will happen.

You chose to pick apart a statement using semantics rather than consider the point that was being made. Not for the first time.<snip>

And there we are again, working down the list of eristic tricks or is it just a kind of bulverism:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bulverism

Jakob1863

"Eristic bag of tricks". Thanks. Add that to my comments on your posting styles. o_O

https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/eristic

Relevance: Response to a particular reference to me in the above post.

Sigh, the same old tired defences from the subjective sensorists keep coming even though they have long been discredited in rational terms.
Repetition doesn't change the reality but the acolytes lap it up.

And again, given that you asserted that a "audioscience forum" should be based on facts but was unable to back your statements about me and my lack of understanding with examples or arguments, you are now again simply responding to something your strong beliefs let you imagine. ;)

"Subjective sensorists" , get real man.....

Last edited:

Rod

I liked these because they have cinnamon in them and they say there awesome.

AudioQuest Cinnamon USB A to B connectors
s-l500.jpg

Solid 1.25% Silver Conductors: Solid
conductors eliminate strand-interaction distortion and reduce jitter.
Solid silver-plated conductors are excellent for very high-frequency
applications like USB audio. These signals being such a high frequency
travel almost exclusively on the surface of the conductor. As the
surface is made of high-purity silver the performance is very close to
that of a solid silver cable but priced much closer to solid copper
cable. This is an incredibly cost effective way of manufacturing very
high-quality USB cables.

Foamed-Polyethylene Insulation:
Any solid material adjacent to a conductor is actually part of
an imperfect circuit. Wire insulation and circuit board materials all
absorb energy (loss). Some of this energy is stored and then released as
distortion. Cinnamon USB uses air-filled Foamed-Polyethylene Insulation
because air absorbs next to no energy and Polyethylene is low-loss and
has a benign distortion profile. Thanks to all the air in Foamed-PE it
causes much less of the out-of-focus effect common to other materials.

Terminations:
Precision gold-plated plugs are carefully attached with the
very best solder. Through choice of flux and metallurgy AQ solder has
been optimized to make a low-distortion connection. The difference you
hear between solders is a result of connection quality. AQ solder does
not have a high silver content because the more silver there is in
solder the more difficult it is to make a good connection.

But I ended up with these:
viewImage.jpeg

Here is the Ebay description for the USB cable:
Main conductor: Silver-plated α (Alpha) OCC Conductors
Main Insulation: Special-grade high-density polyethylene
3-layer shield construction for improved noise insulation
Connectors: 24k gold-plated USB series Connectors

From the item descriptions it sounds like the same wire and connectors but AudioQuest adds more words and waxes eloquently.

Miss the Cinnamon though.

Last edited:

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
"Solid 1.25% Silver Conductors" -- wonder what the other 98.75% is and if 1.25% silver makes a significant difference. Silver tarnishes fairly quickly and that will reduce its conductivity. And interesting they claim solid is better there but elsewhere say multiple strands are better. Whatever.

Cinnamon, ah, they are expensive because they have to import the spice from Arrakis. :)

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
"Lets Talk Cables"

Ahhhh, Lets NOT.
Fugeddaboudit ;)

Top Bottom