• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nong Shim's K-Army Stew is debatable, but during the cold months, I'd work up a good appetite beforehand, then indulge. I didn't have hot dogs or process cheese handy, but I did have tofu, Korean chewy rice cakes and kimchi, and combined with an already hefty pack of noodles, it makes for a big meal! My local Kroger affiliate carries it.
budae_0-1.jpg

Presently42

Here's something that mightn't be familiar: Vietnamese coffee
PXL_20210727_163933420.jpg
Turns out, Vietnam produces some of the world's best coffee. They serve it with sweetened condensed milk, seen at the bottom. The coffee is made in the interesting silver vessel at the top, called a phin (pronounced feen): one puts in finely ground coffee, tamps it a bit with a screwed down tamper and allows hot water to drip through the levelled and slightly compacted coffee grounds. There are two sets of metal filters underneath. Highly recommended!

I'll post some pics later of what I make today.

Katji

Major Contributor

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every time I go into a Vietnamese grocery store and look at the coffee section, I find New Orleans coffee (which contains chicory).

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Here's something that mightn't be familiar: Vietnamese coffee
View attachment 144118
Turns out, Vietnam produces some of the world's best coffee. They serve it with sweetened condensed milk, seen at the bottom. The coffee is made in the interesting silver vessel at the top, called a phin (pronounced feen): one puts in finely ground coffee, tamps it a bit with a screwed down tamper and allows hot water to drip through the levelled and slightly compacted coffee grounds. There are two sets of metal filters underneath. Highly recommended!

coffeepot.jpg

This a DIY coffee maker I built about 20 years ago when my Mr. Coffee went belly up. Made 12 damn fine cups of Joe in under 2 minutes.
All scrap parts from my workshop or from the dead coffee maker. It used a 2200 watt water heater element housed in the pipe section below the water reservoir and I had to wire in a 20 amp line for it. The biggest challenge was finding a way to get the water to pass through the grounds before the filter unit overflowed.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I want food that makes me lean and muscular. It doesn't seem to exist.

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Try the Hadza diet?
Haven't tried that. To get the whole effect I think I'd have to move in with them. I've tried Mediterranean, paleo, high fat low carb, low carb high fat. They all work a lot better than just eating whatever junk I want but never get me the Greek god body I've always wanted. I think you have to lift weights or something.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
you want wild meat - something you have to chase down and kill yourself using a stone knife

- that will make you lean & muscular

Helicopter

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Every time I go into a Vietnamese grocery store and look at the coffee section, I find New Orleans coffee (which contains chicory).
There is a large Vietnamese diaspora in NO with some of their own culinary traditions, so that sorta makes sense.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
you want wild meat - something you have to chase down and kill yourself using a stone knife

- that will make you lean & muscular
A friend eats the deer, moose and elk he hunts yearly and he's in his 70's and is as lean and fit as can be. His doctor says whatever he is doing to keep it up.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I watched an Amazon Prime documentary on fasting, and while some of what people were praising struck me as iffy, one of the doctors advocated something very simple: Limit eating to a certain part of the day. I had a lightbulb moment: That's basically what I had as a kid! Mom controlled the What and When of eating, and If we got hungry between meals, we'd have a choice of simply waiting, or snacking on something lame like soggy crackers. With Grandma, it was even simpler, because she never got into that fancy stuff like crackers. Today thanks to microwaveable meals and 24 hour carry-out places, it's amazing how quickly and easily a person can indulge in treats which were once rare.

Presently42

I made Nigerian "party jollof rice", and Senegalese fish balls made of tofu. Both superb. The rice was gone in seconds, due to its scrumptiousness. The fish balls I (badly) photographed:

PXL_20210728_215427463.jpg

I collect cookery books. This one is by a Nigerian-American food blogger: Evi Aki. I've not read her blog - but the recipes in her book, "Flavors (sic) of Africa", so far are yummy. I got it after watching a Senegalese film, in which one of the characters insists that Riz Mafé be made. Of course, I had to have it. I found this book, made the recipe - really, you must try it!

Katji

Major Contributor
I made Nigerian "party jollof rice", and Senegalese fish balls made of tofu. Both superb. The rice was gone in seconds, due to its scrumptiousness. The fish balls I (badly) photographed:

View attachment 144215

I collect cookery books. This one is by a Nigerian-American food blogger: Evi Aki. I've not read her blog - but the recipes in her book, "Flavors (sic) of Africa", so far are yummy. I got it after watching a Senegalese film, in which one of the characters insists that Riz Mafé be made. Of course, I had to have it. I found this book, made the recipe - really, you must try it!
[sic] :) hahah, I didn't know you guys did that.

So I googled it, wanted to find out whether it extends to South Africa, and see - or confirm - that she has a Youtube channel. Yes, I looked at a review of the book - with some interview - and she said Southern African food is her favourite...[sic] :) thing lately, and she mentioned Nando's chilli sauce.
Although probably not Cape Malay cooking... ["watch this space" - a Youtube channel that I revisited a few days ago, looking for something...]

1629042986039.png

1629043039104.png

Last edited:

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All of Africa? Seems kinda crazy, since foods available in the jungles of west Africa will differ strikingly from those in east and south. That's w/o the desert / Med. regions that are largely Arab.

Katji

Major Contributor
The book is divided ino 4 parts, so there you go. You're right, though, so far I know - the west...maybe my idea of it is somewhat limited, though, that they do that stuff with plantain or something because they don't have corn, at least not as a staple like southern and eastern. More fish there...I can't imagine anywhere other than SA having much logistics to move fish. Even Mozambique, a few hundred km NE from here, the only fish inland would be canned pilchards. The corn / maize meal staple...I suppose there is some production in eastern Anglola and central and eastern Congo.
Chicken is common to all.
Goat is whole 'nother story. Beyond my scope here. :) And sheep.
But this sort of concept (the book and Youtube) is based on city food, with some references to inland influences.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For enthusiasts of laksa who don't feel up to making it from ingredients the instant noodle version made by the Singaporean company Prima is no pretty good.

Katji

Major Contributor
I used to do some "candid" photos in the supermarket and the local mall, until the COVID thing changed the scene.

6UXA1gC.jpg

anpaxjP.jpg

PIbaK8l.jpg

tonybarrett

Japanese ice cream, American ice cream. Both double scoop, both great

Attachments

• 514E09F1-3B3C-431F-AC14-F1E5157B01BA.jpeg
    514E09F1-3B3C-431F-AC14-F1E5157B01BA.jpeg
    172.7 KB · Views: 75
  • 808986F7-AE4A-4E05-8E88-017D94BF4D81.jpeg
    808986F7-AE4A-4E05-8E88-017D94BF4D81.jpeg
    167.3 KB · Views: 81

Presently42

More fish there...I can't imagine anywhere other than SA having much logistics to move fish.

There's a fine short Deutsche Welle documentary about a Senegalese fisherman, who has begun exporting fish to Germany - so, the logistics must exist in other parts of Africa as well. I concede, that his is probably a rather unique story.

But this sort of concept (the book and Youtube) is based on city food, with some references to inland influences.

O, now that's interesting! I confess, that I know little of sub-Saharan cuisine. What makes you think, that the recipes ignore the interior?

Top Bottom