• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Oooh I don't know... as you travel through the alps, you can move from Raclette, to Fondue, then through to Spaetzle....

A fabulous surfeit of cheese, and variations on how to consume it!

Fresh made spaetzle noodles (little rice size noodles), layered with Tilsit, emmenthaler, and whatever other good cheeses I have hanging around at the time, adds complexity to the flavour, with garlic and a dash of nutmeg..... sort of like a fondue with noodles floating around it it (ok so I am exagerating a little... but it is a LOT of cheese...)

Tilsit, Raclette, Emmenthaler, Gruyer......

And of course there was that time I had three lactose intollerant foodies over, keen to have the cheesy spaetzle.... Lacteze all around, then tuck in!
Kaesespaetzle is proof that there is a loving God. And of course, I make it with Raclette. I use some chopped and caramelized onions in the mix as well. I started eating it in my Austria days, and adapted the recipes to my taste.

The cool season has descended upon us here, so my kitchen is shifting gears into the Fall produce. This weekend, I'm likely to do ravioli de zucca in brown butter and sage.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
There's another great sauce for innards where you combine yogurt, dill and garlic.
Source appears to be Middle-East again; stretching all the way to Greece, on this recipe starter! It can't go wrong with a bad outcome!
Greeks call it "tzatziki" [?taxie?]; their eastern turkish neighbors call it "cacik" ['c'=~j]. Both of the recipes call for diced cukes (not nukes but cucumbers).
It is almost like a mandatory side-dish (like a salad), with most their traditional dinners/lunches.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
Finally, when I grill chicken drumstick and thigh, I also de-bone them. It's easier to get them right all the way to the middle. No burnt edges and bloody center. In summertime I like cold side dish, here served with potato salad and lamb's lettuce. Oooooh... and some porter!!
View attachment 233776
Not that it matters, but I'm beginning to get curious! Absolutely no love for this boned leg of a chicken and it was such a sweet summer dinner. What gives, doesn't anyone here like chicken? (For this pic I often get accused for using filters or effects, although none was used. The potatoes were really this golden yellow.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
What gives, doesn't anyone here like chicken?
I've never eaten chicken, but if I ever crossed over to carnivorism, it would be the last thing I'd ever try. Why? Well, whenever someone is talking about trying something disgusting like fried rat or iguana or guinea pig, when asked what it tastes like, the response is almost always, "Just like chicken!"

If chicken tastes like that stuff, I'm not ever touching it.

killdozzer

Major Contributor
I've never eaten chicken, but if I ever crossed over to carnivorism, it would be the last thing I'd ever try. Why? Well, whenever someone is talking about trying something disgusting like fried rat or iguana or guinea pig, when asked what it tastes like, the response is almost always, "Just like chicken!"

:D
Well, no. It doesn't. I mean - the chicken is not to blame. Industry may have made it so bland and devoid of scents and aromas that people often think this and the Matrix was a very popular movie ( :D ) where this notion was reiterated, but it's not really so. I took a challenge once and prepared chicken for some of my friends who claimed this. I was using chicken meat with no spices at all, plain oil (sunflower), salt and water. I dubbed the challenge "Dare to confuse this for any other dish!" :D

Two things happened:
- They couldn't get enough
- They couldn't find similarities with none of those usual suspects (tuna, frogs, eels etc.)

I hope I won't be far when you turn to carnivorism. ;)

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Well, no. It doesn't. I mean - the chicken is not to blame. Industry may have made it so bland and devoid of scents and aromas...
completely agree
i remember homebred chicken and how they tasted when baked whole and now that c*ap from the shops, or even butchers, where the only usable parts are the breasts (no taste at all, almost), lower breast and the drums (most fo the taste)
same with the turkeys...not that they were popular or even used much here back in the day, but when they came it was just meh....the only good one i had was heavily smoked drumsticks some 10+ years ago

killdozzer

Major Contributor
While we're at it; a walking distance from my building (4 minutes if I'm lazy :D ) there's a very good place for smoked/baked/sous-vide/marinated...
Untitled.png

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What gives, doesn't anyone here like chicken?
You see? Due to the chicken shortages and their prices going sky high in early 2022, some of us are considering to switch to a "white-meat" alternative.
The news recently broke out that there is another huge 20 quadrillion (20e+15 or 20,000,000,000,000,000 or about 2.5e+6 per each human) population of another protein source. :facepalm:

Snag_930a1ae.png

Last edited:

killdozzer

Major Contributor
You see? Due to the chicken shortages and their prices going sky high in early 2022, some of us are considering to switch to a "white-meat" alternative.
The news recently broke out that there is another huge 20 quadrillion (20e+15 or 20,000,000,000,000,000 or about 2.5e+6 per each human) population of another protein source. :facepalm:

View attachment 234741

There was this scientist who used to talk about bio-mass rule. He opined that there's an equal mass in all groups of living beings, you jest get fewer whales in numbers when compared to ants. If this holds true, you also need to eat an equivalent mass of ants to get the same protein intake. I don't know...

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I get it but your statement is just too encompassing of an exaggeration?
Can you please replace the word "whole" with "any" or "morsel of"...please?;)

d97.jpg

but i appreciate it a lot, you trying to expand the vocabulary of my...umm...3rd foreign language...i mean?

Suffolkhifinut

Major Contributor

Can sympathise with what you’re saying. Never eaten a tomato and occasionally Ann will interrupt eating them to say “You should try one it tastes just like a strawberry.” If the most tasty ones taste like strawberries why not just buy strawberries?
Years ago went aboard a ship with a Pakistani mate, it was docked for the day and his Brother was First Officer. Had a really good meal in the Officers mess. After we left Muhammed asked did I like the meat, said it was really good. Told me I’d just eaten tortoise and it didn’t taste like chicken.

Last edited:

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you're ever passing through or doing anything in this part of Ohio, you owe it to yourself to get this ramen. It's a very short jaunt off of 70 between Columbus and Dayton. I lived in Japan for 14 months just a few years ago, and this is some of the best ramen I've had.

Givj1dpDtVfciEkYu6V1LDr5o55_bsfqC49P93Kv8R8etarcCOfwTOSFTzCknkWmDhSwo_wFHVDEnQyXSr2v5TprLMUr_B17vTLD4M4mhvhSJvjchQE_euXXeovaBPSnpUnrIUZdpcu2DJO0IFQxh4v_KsfCrTdKTTvucODwnH2Hu7SanqLp5ZQ3FpH7kvQnyP5evfBSelfvKxJrBUEdjS4sWRkbGZngSscSef12yQKO61CDmeRgr3CnKwUp37PjybtuAgrZKI4dxDVNm3FG33ntvJIJZucW_Ptk0y6FboOenFm3IxGnbPOO2SyD6vFwZiPfYFUNepQoUzK3aTu6TpPqSetQV7kQqRHCOpY-DvK2UjhDxtdsoXXLX0lb-SAMwc6oEXRfYAUThldUb1ZyNYgyDhDNdWyTA6CbM6A-HK5aC-GqaonmMe0vb769j25AalEnepXwjxSKTDnh0eqwGVAf7N3UFH5miJYD81NQwziZqqco1NKeOt-EbY-La1HNwIVQcnbqTaFTqNh9BtmdRntg79kwcG02LZl3VTvZHtIZ6OLyrtcYDQGDGHHEVhT3xNcccPZ4VLaeusRUwpMvw8Q79WxV9PKRY1P_2NwQttlQX-uHK0Ij96ptd8jcptIxuhsGf8NPIkgTvG52sLO_pBZ95DKim5oV3wtv5aKCP0uBgL7uW7WtvUatDmw6gbxFVAauwA9lNpOO5XcPhSFOPfOxtlTu5msOsS7BPF_xX8cJ8YMrHoVaK88mz6DklKKrv30H9FWmDIYafauNquIOopafLmG696K1_2gQHyPbjS22zvhQP34cQDzz8d6Jx9VvTEoewm5GlrmIrDL-4zi1AVfuPh4aR6OHC4TLoQk3vwW_1aleR44wb-O0ikKCUq2Oi89cR1qHCquVVb7_ztyaP1cKP6kYDhE=w1719-h1290-no

As a bonus, the Westcott house is just a few blocks away.

Andysu

Major Contributor
martian deluxe matt damon with cheese on the baked potato then filled with tuna fish and sweetcorn with a little dash of mayo on matt damon. Its been 5 weeks since I have ran out of paul newman newman's own Italian dressing

14681980_10154497311855149_8949098289858873396_o (1).jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
martian deluxe matt damon with cheese on the baked potato then filled with tuna fish and sweetcorn with a little dash of mayo on matt damon. Its been 5 weeks since I have ran out of paul newman newman's own Italian dressing

View attachment 238167
Too funny...lol.

EDIT: I had pasta sauce on rye bread with ham chunks and potato chips the other day for lunch... was tasty. Yours looks more nutricious though.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Too funny...lol.

EDIT: I had pasta sauce on rye bread with ham chunks and potato chips the other day for lunch... was tasty. Yours looks more nutricious though.
maybe this meal will inspire ? :p
prometheus fish and chips
large cod
small portion chips
fish cake
batter sausage that looks like an alien
1385076_10151958592860149_1678638220_n.jpg

7997_10151958594650149_662499612_n.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
maybe this meal will inspire ? :p
prometheus fish and chips
View attachment 238169
View attachment 238168
GarooWLZzzzz... Battered fish. YummmmY! I can get good chips or jojos here but the freshly caught'n battered fish is not so common. I live more centralized on the continent and the nearest ocean is a 18 hour drive if driving fast, not taking pit stops and not stopping to eat.

Top Bottom