• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

Zog

Lightly steam some Swiss Chard (also known as Silverbeet). Also works for Spinach and Kale, but Chard has a better flavour. In a small bowl put a good knob of Stilton (other blue chees is ok too) and add olive oil. Gently heat that until the Stilton is melted into the oil. Uses this oil as a dressing for the Chard. This also works for Broccoli and other veges.
The poor mans version of this is to use cheddar with a splash of mustard or chili sauce.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
It is generally a problem to find any good cheese (and bread) in the USA. And chocolate, too.
I have no problem doing so.

/munching on some 15 year aged cheddar

Gekel

I can also buy cheddar without problems, but even according to the official numbers I am looking at 450 types of cheese here in Switzerland, and this list does not take into account that almost every farm on any mountain makes its own cheese. Sometimes you can only buy the cheese only locally, sometimes you are lucky and can find it in the small supermarket in the next village. So the true number is over 1000 types/variations.

And in the big supermarkets, when looking e.g. for a Gruyer, then i can pick it from at least 3-4 different producers and normally in three different ages. It is so much that even after 16 years constant battle against what they sell here I still haven't tasted every type.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I can also buy cheddar without problems, but even according to the official numbers I am looking at 450 types of cheese here in Switzerland, and this list does not take into account that almost every farm on any mountain makes its own cheese. Sometimes you can only buy the cheese only locally, sometimes you are lucky and can find it in the small supermarket in the next village. So the true number is over 1000 types/variations.

And in the big supermarkets, when looking e.g. for a Gruyer, then i can pick it from at least 3-4 different producers and normally in three different ages. It is so much that even after 16 years constant battle against what they sell here I still haven't tasted every type.
Yeah, we're also living in a major cheese producing area (thus the availability of 15 year cheddar!), but also have our version of Mère Richard so that we can get great and well affined Alpage gruyeres, St-Marcellin, bufala mozzarella, French and Swiss raclette, and a few hundred others. What we can also get here, but I doubt in Europe, are great American cheeses like Red Hawk, Humboldt Fog, Mt. Tam... What we can't get here are my favorite crottins from Condrieu. Ah well.

Raindog123

Major Contributor
…from my grad-student years in Holland, I am still deeply in love with Leerdammer. Or “Maasdammer of type Leerdammer”.

Would get a pound (or two) at a city’s Saturday farmers market… till next Saturday… :)

F5425959-78EA-493B-A169-0C4094816CAB.jpeg
DCC895FA-E80C-495C-8C3E-E443ED83E76E.png

Katji

Major Contributor
^^^ :( I really struggle with cheese....Because i don't live near any hip area with delis that have good cheese. Supermarket sometimes has Wyke cheddar from UK - it's good, but it's too extreme for toasted cheese sandwiches and pizza. ...It even overwhelms chilli sauce. :(

JayGilb

Major Contributor
I was born in the heart of dairy country, West Central WI, in the USA.
We were the only family in 100 square miles that was not a dairy farmer and my first paying job at age 10 was milking cows at a next door neighbor's farm.

There are local cheese makers every few miles in this area that make some incredible products and one nearby that sells end cuts left over from trimming blocks and my fridge is full of different varieties. Mostly cheddar and colby varieties, but some great stinky cheeses can be found as well.

JayGilb

Major Contributor
Milking by hand? ... :)
No, thank goodness, but it was referred to as a step saver process where a vacuum system pulled the milk into stainless steel containers that had to carried by hand to the bulk tank and poured in. By the time I was 14 or so, they had a complete vacuum system that moved the milk directly into the refrigerated bulk tank.
My best friend's family who lived 5 or so miles away did all of their milking by hand, it was a small herd of 8 to 10 Jerseys, but him and his 4 brothers had to milk before and after school everyday. Jersey's produce a very high butterfat content milk compared to the typical black and white Holsteins that fill the fields of Wisconsin, so they sold their milk to a local creamery who made cheese.

Andysu

Major Contributor
first time i cooked this , my Dad used to cook it with extras on the plate . i went simple . ten minutes to boil the broccoli so its soft and fish was scrumptious

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I traveled to India twice on business and it's the one cuisine I could eat vegetarian. Fantastic curries. But I also love non-veg.

I've been trying to find some good Indian curries (masala, vindaloo, rogan josh and korma) on YouTube.

I've recently gotten hooked on Sam the Cooking Guy. I'll be cooking this next weekend:

I haven't had a good Chili Colorado since I left California 11-1/2 years ago.

Martin

Sad to say the recipe above is not by any stretch of the imagination good Chili Colorado.

One of my favorite recipes is Ina Garten's Greek Salad.

The salad will last us for several days. The dressing makes an excellent marinade for chicken or lamb. I just made it again yesterday with bone in lamb loin chops.

Martin

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Should have posted this here $18 for 32 books. helps charity.

Digby

Major Contributor
I've been trying to find some good Indian curries (masala, vindaloo, rogan josh and korma) on YouTube.
I doubt you'll have much luck with those kinds of recipes, they will be rather dulled down. The difficulty with Indian food is the sheer variety of spices that you may not have access to (Indian bay leaf, cassia, dried fenugreek leaves, black cardamom and so on) and the cooking techniques, that gives the proper flavour.

You're better off getting a serviceable knowledge of what the ingredients look like and watching an Indian (Hindi or some local language) video, rather than one in English.

^^^ :( I really struggle with cheese....Because i don't live near any hip area with delis that have good cheese. Supermarket sometimes has Wyke cheddar from UK - it's good, but it's too extreme for toasted cheese sandwiches and pizza. ...It even overwhelms chilli sauce. :(
Mix small amounts with a milder cheese?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I traveled to India twice on business and it's the one cuisine I could eat vegetarian. Fantastic curries. But I also love non-veg.

I've recently gotten hooked on Sam the Cooking Guy. I'll be cooking this next weekend:

I haven't had a good Chili Colorado since I left California 11-1/2 years ago.

Martin
This guy Vikram Vij associates with Iron Chefs and is apparently very good. He has videos and web pages all over the place.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Wherever silk is produced, there are lots of leftover silkworm pupae. I guess they must be pretty tasty, because I've seen school-aged kids in Korea munching on freshly cooked ones. But you can get them in the USA too, at HMart stores.

IMG_0648.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Wherever silk is produced, there are lots of leftover silkworm pupae. I guess they must be pretty tasty, because I've seen school-aged kids in Korea munching on freshly cooked ones. But you can get them in the USA too, at HMart stores.

View attachment 207042
I tried eating grasshoppers and almost hurled. :D Pupa is just one level closer to hurling.

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I thought the seafood in Jeju, South Korea, was especially good. And a big part of that may be due to Jeju's famous snorkeling grandmas. In some instances, grandma might only have to go across the street to deliver the day's catch to a restaurant.
_DSC3085.jpg

JeffS7444

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And here's one such restaurant located close to shore. Despite Korean's love of pepper, I find most of the food only mildly spicy. Stews such as these would be a rare exception. I recall this being very tasty! If you like abalone dishes, Jeju is where you want to be. Food is cooked directly in these bowls, and the thermal mass keeps things hot for a long time.
_DSC3045.jpg

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not going to add any EMRs to this food discussion but...
Snag_29c741b7.png
<< Brand new ad campaign.

I also may have missed m/any references to any fruits, which are still considered a food group.
Green Plums
Cherries
Quinces
Apricots

Top Bottom