• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Let's talk about food!

Ken1951

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yeah, simple is the bestest but I am not coming over unless you have...
View attachment 349086
... that is not aged.
I love that mustard. This as well as this:
1710279782190.jpeg

Mikig

Baked Veal Shank with Chestnuts.

tip to do at home! very simple, amazing result.

Go to your trusted butcher, take 2 veal shanks (for 6/8 people). Leave them whole, sliced they become the very famous Italian "ossobuco". —

Take a baking tray with high edges. prepare a base with onion, celery and carrot, the “odors” roughly chopped.

Season the shanks with salt and, if you like, pepper outside the pan. But don't overdo it.

Place the shanks on the vegetables in the pan. Sprinkle the shins with a good extra virgin olive oil, and add a glass of white wine to the bottom.

Cover with foil.

I usually use two temperatures: 2 hours at 160 degrees in the oven, I recommend the pan covered with foil.

Take out the baking tray to check. Take a knife and make a small incision. If the meat has retreated from the bone and is pink when cut, move on to the second cooking phase.

At this point I add the chestnuts, already peeled and blanched.

Raise the oven to 180 degrees, and replace the pan, covered with foil. If the bottom vegetables begin to blacken you can add more liquid.

After about 1 hour and a half, remove the pan. the shank should start to color as well as the vegetables. Make a small cut: if the meat is white and reasonably detached from the bone, you're done.

Put it back in the oven at 180 degrees without foil, for about half an hour, so that the surface caramelizes. Don't let it burn!! you can already remove the vegetables and the juice which you will then use as a sauce. always keep it at bay.

Remove from the oven, place the shanks on a cutting board and debone them. With a knife, cut them into slices, as if it were a roast.

Garnish with some red fruit and the vegetables and chestnuts from the bottom.

Enjoy your meal!! We normally pair it with either polenta or a nice parmigiana risotto. PS cooking times may vary depending on the oven.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
For some time I have been very annoyed at the new high expense of for example 4 very tiny chicken legs for $8, the exorbitant price of a decent steak and the taste of pork cuts if not cooked with interesting spices and a large quantity of garlic & braised to a crispy texture and taste that fills the living quarters with smoke. So I decided to check out the frozen food section and found that deveined and tail-less shrimp can be had daily for $8 for 320 grams and a largeish 1 kg/2.2 lbs bag of salmon fillets and pieces can be bought for $20. So I like convenience foods and simple comfort like the next Dood and so I've been making hot salmon steaks on toasted rye with mayo and lotsa salt sandwiches. They are really filling, taste great and no after taste lingering doubts about what I just ate. Fish and shellfish is awesome and it's the new economical meat in my region... :D I suggest give the frozen food section a new test drive and see what has happened there lately. It really is a better option than the usual meats stuff that has increased in price in recent months.

Pareto Pragmatic

I love that mustard. This as well as this: View attachment 356016
I also like this one:

1710328089281.png

Nice for many things. Dusseldorf style mustard, Alstertor is the brand. I avoided it for a long time based on the packaging, but it's a good general purpose mustard.

Andysu

Major Contributor
high end , top secret roast dinner at high end game restaurant with some speakers

431989460_10161157654470149_8983091920096033869_n.jpg

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
high end , top secret roast dinner at high end game restaurant with some speakers

View attachment 356915

That delicious tasty healthy looking meal you have there is pretty much the same as what I buy on hockey nights at the local sports pub but I get a bigger portion than you do at your eatery. I've been there 5 times for the roast beef dinner and I have had to take home a doggy bag each time and I'm a large healthy hOngry Dood. All for CDN $22. I don't care for hockey very much but I do care for the layers of tender roast beef, scoops of fresh mashed potatoes, lotsa steamed veggies and those 2 yummy stomach filling Yorkshire pudding creations that are so great with dark gravy and a cold Canadian.
Screenshot 2024-03-16 141214.png

Andysu

Major Contributor
i may pop in again at top secret restaurant , it if i had to cook that at home it be around the same cost , may take one my cats next time

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
i may pop in again at top secret restaurant , it if i had to cook that at home it be around the same cost , may take one my cats next time
Exactly same for me. The expense of making that meal is the same... Plus I feel so much better about life having a hot meal served to me in comfort.

Andysu

Major Contributor
Exactly same for me. The expense of making that meal is the same... Plus I feel so much better about life having a hot meal served to me in comfort.
i may do a blues brothers soup at an expensive restaurant , i have to find the snobbiest restaurant that serves cats soup

Keith_W

Major Contributor
This dish might make most Westerners recoil in horror.

1711892814966.png

Congee with century egg and sliced pork. "皮蛋瘦肉粥" / "Pei Dan Sau Yok Jok" (Cantonese) / "Pidan shou rou zhou" (Mandarin). This is a traditional Cantonese rice gruel and is simplicity itself - chicken stock, ginger, water, and rice. The ratio of rice to liquid varies according to preference, but most home style congees are thicker, and restaurant style congees are smoother and more refined. To get the smooth texture, you need a 10:1 liquid to rice ratio. I simmer the congee gently for 45 min WITHOUT STIRRING (stirring will prematurely break the grains and cause it to stick to the bottom of the pot and burn). At the end, I break up the grains with a whisk. Turn off the heat and wait for the starch to develop and thicken the congee, about 15 min. From this point on, any further application of heat means the congee needs to be stirred otherwise it will stick and burn. I turn the heat back on and throw in my sliced marinaded pork (the marinade is made with cornstarch, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, pepper, and sesame oil). I like my congee piping hot, so I let it come back to the boil again before serving.

My congee is different from the restaurant version in that I serve it with large wedges of century egg and I am very generous with both egg and spring onion. Restaurants tend to cube the egg and mix it into the congee.

Here is bit of food history. All grain eating cultures have the same types of dishes, and all evolved the same way. First comes the gruel, which is grains boiled in liquid. Chinese have rice congee, Scots have oat porridge, and Mexicans had their version of polenta. The next step is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented gruel. You can see how this evolved. Chinese have rice wine, Koreans have Soju, Japanese have Sake, Scots have whiskey, and Mexicans have Nixta - all made from different grains. Then comes the bread, which is ground up grain mixed with water, allowed to ferment with yeast, then baked.

So this dish is really quite primitive. Because so little rice is used (the dish is mostly water), it is also the food of the poor. Yet Chinese people of all social strata love this dish. I make "luxury" versions of congee using expensive ingredients like dried abalone or dried scallops, and they are amazing. They can also be made with crab and lobster.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor

View attachment 360359

Congee with century egg and sliced pork. "皮蛋瘦肉粥" / "Pei Dan Sau Yok Jok" (Cantonese) / "Pidan shou rou zhou" (Mandarin). This is a traditional Cantonese rice gruel and is simplicity itself - chicken stock, ginger, water, and rice. The ratio of rice to liquid varies according to preference, but most home style congees are thicker, and restaurant style congees are smoother and more refined. To get the smooth texture, you need a 10:1 liquid to rice ratio. I simmer the congee gently for 45 min WITHOUT STIRRING (stirring will prematurely break the grains and cause it to stick to the bottom of the pot and burn). At the end, I break up the grains with a whisk. Turn off the heat and wait for the starch to develop and thicken the congee, about 15 min. From this point on, any further application of heat means the congee needs to be stirred otherwise it will stick and burn. I turn the heat back on and throw in my sliced marinaded pork (the marinade is made with cornstarch, dark soy sauce, light soy sauce, pepper, and sesame oil). I like my congee piping hot, so I let it come back to the boil again before serving.

My congee is different from the restaurant version in that I serve it with large wedges of century egg and I am very generous with both egg and spring onion. Restaurants tend to cube the egg and mix it into the congee.

Here is bit of food history. All grain eating cultures have the same types of dishes, and all evolved the same way. First comes the gruel, which is grains boiled in liquid. Chinese have rice congee, Scots have oat porridge, and Mexicans had their version of polenta. The next step is an alcoholic beverage made from fermented gruel. You can see how this evolved. Chinese have rice wine, Koreans have Soju, Japanese have Sake, Scots have whiskey, and Mexicans have Nixta - all made from different grains. Then comes the bread, which is ground up grain mixed with water, allowed to ferment with yeast, then baked.

So this dish is really quite primitive. Because so little rice is used (the dish is mostly water), it is also the food of the poor. Yet Chinese people of all social strata love this dish. I make "luxury" versions of congee using expensive ingredients like dried abalone or dried scallops, and they are amazing. They can also be made with crab and lobster.
You are making me hONgry!!! LoL... I love congee. I ate it many many times in Canada. I also enjoy a veryyy simple dish of rice burned to the pot bottom either browned or slightly black and then served in boiling hot water as a sort of soup. A variation I also enjoy is serving it cold and enjoying warm or cold with a full service meal. It's so simple but can be very enjoyable with bitter dishes and sweets too.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
You are making me hONgry!!! LoL... I love congee. I ate it many many times in Canada. I also enjoy a veryyy simple dish of rice burned to the pot bottom either browned or slightly black and then served in boiling hot water as a sort of soup. A variation I also enjoy is serving it cold and enjoying warm or cold with a full service meal. It's so simple but can be very enjoyable with bitter dishes and sweets too.

That is what we call a "rice tea" :)

dlaloum

Major Contributor

View attachment 360359

No problem with the congee... but I have never been a fan of century egg.... that and Japanese Natto are both outside my otherwise very broad repertoire!

Keith_W

Major Contributor
No problem with the congee... but I have never been a fan of century egg.... that and Japanese Natto are both outside my otherwise very broad repertoire!

Yeah, it's an acquired taste. I am fortunate to have tasted some of the most "disgusting" food commonly listed - including durian, surstromming, natto, and hakarl. There are other obscure Chinese specialties that aren't well known that even Chinese people find disgusting, like Hunanese stinky tofu. It literally smells like old socks. The only one I could not stomach was hakarl. Never again.

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
IMG_20240408_130745.jpg

The takeaway sushi place (by a Japanese fishmonger supplying seafood to several Michelin starred restaurants locally) I posted further up this thread opened a fast casual place some months back. I finally got around to trying it. Excellent pricing. Starts at about 35USD for a lunch omakase -- 8 pieces of sushi, a very intense miso soup and grilled seafood. Tops out at about 70USD at lunch for 12 pieces including sea urchin/uni, grilled seafood and soup. You stand around and get served directly on a long food-safe counter.

My 8-piece set got wild-caught salmon, scallop, cod, flatfish, amberjack, mackerel and IIRC swordfish and tuna. The grilled course was squid from Hokkaido grilled on charcoal with a sweet soy sauce. The miso soup used a cod head broth. The short-grain rice was nicely seasoned with Japanese vinegar -- sweet, tart savoury. Yum.

It was all surprisingly filling even for a heavy eater like me.

I added a piece of nodoguro (black-throated sea perch), which is one of those esoteric ultra-luxe fishes you usually only see in the $300+ meals, ala carte as they had it in for the day. It was served up lightly torched with just soy sauce and wasabi. Awesome. Think A5 wagyu if it were a white fish. Buttery. Creamier than highly-marbled tuna (otoro).

The nodoguro:

IMG_20240408_131553.jpg

Wild-caught salmon:

IMG_20240408_130357.jpg

The grilled squid:

IMG_20240408_131005.jpg

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

I think eating century egg hot is a frequent mistake (except when chopped up in congee). Otherwise, it's better cold/room temp IMHO, the acrid notes are more muted. Small slices (like eighths) eaten alongside pickled ginger is much more palatable too. The ginger tang somehow melds with the chemical tang and also exposes a mild sweetness.

Andysu

Major Contributor
top secret meal high end , very tasty , mouthwatering , juicy , succulent
10511618_10152535829855149_3033448969996650166_o.jpg
10531392_10152535828780149_3221720953368022997_o.jpg

Andysu

Major Contributor
high end reference meal when listening to theatrical mix only exist on AC-3 laserdisc die hard and some pual newman's own , creamy caesar
10275295_10152372342995149_7363054171844849643_o.jpg
10275308_10152372343650149_442219046516204588_o.jpg

Top Bottom