• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lets connect!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Schlippwhip68

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Hi
Has anybody had any experience with Chord Clearway range of interconnects? I am asking as I have recently purchase a chord C-stream ethernet cable and yes, it does make a difference. The sound it allows even my Xbox is much fuller in the lower end and overall a smoother experience to the ears. I wish to again purchase another cable this time for my internet radio/music streamer but wish to have a more open and detailed sound than the current c-line provides which has now been allocated to the Xbox. I have read good reviews of the Clearway series but mainly those have been focused on the RCA which I also intend to use. So has anyone purchased the Clearway ethernet cable and if so what do you think?

JSmith

Master Contributor
what do you think?
I think it's a massive rip off by another snake oil cable company... the prices are simply ludicrous. An Ethernet cable is not a tone control... my suggestion is you stop thinking this way about cables as there is nothing mystical about them whatsoever. Focus on things that matter like the speakers and the room they inhabit.

JSmith

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Please look up "expectation bias" and "confirmation bias" and help make the world a better place.
Confirmation bias is the tendency to search for, interpret, favor, and recall information in a way that confirms or supports one's prior beliefs or values.
Thankyou but that's a little off point here. This is a definitive question that is rooted in real world difference in regards to actual audible sound.
Notably conformation bias cannot be applied to truth and neither can expectation bias of which are neither the grounds of motivation to which i am asking this question. Maybe a little less condemnation and suspicion and a little more saving should be employed when judging someone...

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Due to the engineering of ethernet (simply put - the way it works) there is no way the cable is somehow "subtly" altering the sound. If you are hearing the type of difference you are describing, it is in your brain caused by cognitive bias - not by the sound waves hitting your ears.

Save yourself some money, and get generic low cost cables.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Has anybody had any experience with Chord Clearway range of interconnects? I am asking as I have recently purchase a chord C-stream ethernet cable and yes, it does make a difference. The sound it allows even my Xbox is much fuller in the lower end and overall a smoother experience to the ears. I wish to again purchase another cable this time for my internet radio/music streamer but wish to have a more open and detailed sound than the current c-line provides which has now been allocated to the Xbox. I have read good reviews of the Clearway series but mainly those have been focused on the RCA which I also intend to use. So has anyone purchased the Clearway ethernet cable and if so what do you think?
Complete waste of time and money. Ethernet cables do not an cannot make a difference.

Eggs Ackley

"Your world" is not the same as "real world" Know the difference. Despite what some folks say, perception is not the reality.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

I think it's a massive rip off by another snake oil cable company... the prices are simply ludicrous. An Ethernet cable is not a tone control... my suggestion is you stop thinking this way about cables as there is nothing mystical about them whatsoever. Focus on things that matter like the speakers and the room they inhabit.

JSmith
Thanks for your thoughts but I do already have the experience of which my question is based upon and I can assure you that it is not snake oil but I agree that prices do go into outer space for some things but that's an economic relativity that is going to be with us till the end of this world. The Chord Clearway maybe expensive or even pointless to a hobo or maybe a crack-head for example who can only see £80 in a pipe or a bottle or someone who is upset that they just cant afford the better stuff! There are also the same cable or another brand which may cost £400 for the same length and yes there will be a difference again albeit subtle but again it would be an economic relativity so can we steer away from what the rich and poor can and cannot do with there income please. Thankyou.

JSmith

Master Contributor
I can assure you that it is not snake oil
I haven't asked for nor do I require your assurance... what you did ask for was opinions from members and that is what has been provided, although maybe not what you wanted to hear (pun intended). What is required for you to make such an assurance for yourself is to be able to identify each specific cable without knowing which is which at least 9/10 times. If you are able to do this, please, come back with your results and post them here.

JSmith

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I have recently purchase a chord C-stream ethernet cable and yes, it does make a difference.

Have you looked until the importance of using controls when you compare audio devices?

Thanks for your thoughts but I do already have the experience of which my question is based upon and I can assure you that it is not snake oil

Assurances aren't the same as evidence.

I encourage you to keep reading.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Thanks for your thoughts but I do already have the experience of which my question is based upon and I can assure you that it is not snake oil but I agree with that prices do go into outer space for some things but that's an economic relativity that is going to be with us till the end of this world. The Chord Clearway maybe expensive or even pointless to a hobo or maybe a crack-head for example who can only see £80 in a pipe or a bottle or someone who is upset that they just cant afford the better stuff! There are also the same cable or another brand which may cost £400 for the same length and yes there will be a difference again albeit subtle but again it would be an economic relativity so can we steer away from what the rich and poor can and cannot do with there income please. Thankyou.

You can't assure us of your experience unless you have done the listening test blind and controlled (accurately level matched) and statistically significant. Everyone is subject to bias in their hearing. Everyone. It can't be avoided.

rotating-circles-illusion.gif

Are the circles moving? Just as your visual system is fooled, so is your auditory system. It is just harder to hear how.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

I haven't asked for nor do I require your assurance... what you did ask for was opinions from members and that is what has been provided, although maybe not what you wanted to hear (pun intended). What is required for you to make such an assurance for yourself is to be able to identify each specific cable without knowing which is which at least 9/10 times. If you are able to do this, please, come back with your results and post them here.

JSmith
No, what i asked for was users of the Chord Clearway ethernet cable to come forward with their experience using the cable as there is little evidence or review towards that request. I didn't ask to be psychoanalyzed or judged. I also have not offered any 'assurance' on any issue particularly the cable. Now, is that not your perception...

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi
Can you explain why a cable like this one should sound different? What technology is inside?

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

You can't assure us of your experience unless you have done the listening test blind and controlled (accurately level matched) and statistically significant. Everyone is subject to bias in their hearing. Everyone. It can't be avoided.

View attachment 199346

Are the circles moving? Just as your visual system is fooled, so is your auditory system. It is just harder to hear how.
No the circles are stationary in their form. But that is trickery and or even sorcery and their are marketing laws in business that people seem to be forgetting here and most companies must adhere to them or they will get sued and taken to the cleaners. So if you think that such company's like Chord and QED are lying to you then take them to court if you are that confident in your claims but i will warn you, you will lose. So really such snake oil opinions against such companies can be found as nothing more than slander.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
No, what i asked for was users of the Chord Clearway ethernet cable to come forward with their experience using the cable as there is little evidence or review towards that request. I didn't ask to be psychoanalyzed or judged. I also have not offered any 'assurance' on any issue particularly the cable. Now, is that not your perception...

We don't need to be users of an anvil to know that dropping one from a height onto our leg isn't going to end well. That is because we all understand the physical processed involved.

Similarly, people who understand the engineering and physics of Ethernet can also know exactly what influence the cables can have on your audio - and the answer is exactly none. So we also know that if you are hearing a difference, it can only be caused by perception bias type effects.

We don't need to be users of the cable to know this.

And it is not a criticism of you or your hearing. You are not being psychoanalysed or judged, just being informed of what is going on.

OP
Schlippwhip68

Schlippwhip68

Can you explain why a cable like this one should sound different? What technology is inside?
Shielding, vacuum and material. Method of construction. With the ethernet and most cables in 2022 do act as aerials picking up subtle but destructive radio waves and signals emanating from all sorts of devices that this world has now been consumed by and running them into your system. This clutters the overall sound. The more expensive and upper brand name stuff has better armour in the battle than the generic cables so they are basically able keep the world out of your personal signal giving you a cleaner and more pure sound.

Last edited:

JSmith

Master Contributor
I didn't ask to be psychoanalyzed or judged.
I don't believe anyone here is doing that, however making such claims about an Ethernet cable is bound to elicit the responses you have received so far, especially here. @BDWoody has just linked you to a helpful resource, yet you seem to have ignored it.

Anyway, if you want a decent looking, well constructed Ethernet cable, this is my recommendation;

JSmith

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom