• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lepy LP-2020A Stereo Audio Amplifier Reivew

audio_tony

Addicted to Fun and Learning
To market this as 20w per channel is a ambitious when one looks at the datasheet for the Tripath IC.

tripath.png

audio_tony

Attachments

• lepy-lepai2.jpg
    lepy-lepai2.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 870

dmac6419

Major Contributor
That's the Lepai not the Lepy - and I've also just discovered that some people suspect the Lepy uses the TPA3116D chip.

From this Amazon review: https://www.amazon.com/Lepy-LP-2020A-Digital-Amplifier-Stereo/dp/B00C2P61FO

View attachment 38398
Lepai is the original the other two are knockoff,Tripath TA2020 amp chip was phased out by Cirrus Logic
Like most class-D amps, the 2020 was very power efficient; it didn’t require a heat sink and could use a compact package. Tripath’s low-end, 15-watt version of the TA2020 sold for US $3 and was used in boom boxes and ministereos.
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-hist...ame-tripath-technology-ta2020-audio-amplifier
1573391248684.png

Last edited:

Newk Yuler

IIRC the Tripath amp made a big splash in the audiophile community about 15 years ago with the cheap plastic Sonic Impact amp using the TA2024. I bought a few of them at the time. Parts Express sells the Dayton version of it but it apparently no longer uses the Tripath chip.

https://boingboing.net/2005/09/29/thirty-buck-toy-amp.html

Since those early days I've used a pair of the later generation Trends Audio TA-10.2 TA2024 amps in my ambient rig. It's a much better implementation of the TA2024, maybe the best. It would be super cool to see how one specs on Amir's bench before the chip is completely gone.

https://www.trendsaudio.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=37&Itemid=28&lang=en

Last edited:

gvl

Major Contributor
I use Topping TP41 based on the TA2021 chip in my garage. Not the cleanest but really it sounds just fine.

confucius_zero

I don't get it... for the price it makes... noise, not music?

SmackDaddies

Lepai is the original the other two are knockoff,Tripath TA2020 amp chip was phased out by Cirrus Logic
Like most class-D amps, the 2020 was very power efficient; it didn’t require a heat sink and could use a compact package. Tripath’s low-end, 15-watt version of the TA2020 sold for US $3 and was used in boom boxes and ministereos.
https://spectrum.ieee.org/tech-hist...ame-tripath-technology-ta2020-audio-amplifier
I am using an original Lepai as an always on amp for my kitchen system. Bought..eight years ago? Still runs great, only issue was needing to deoxit the volume pot. Excellent in small spaces (desk, or in my case a galley kitchen). I even used it for 2.0 home theater for a while. Not awesome, but better than tv sound.

SatchmoBronson

I bought one of these to test a couple pairs of speakers I built. If I'd messed up, I didn't want to destroy my more expensive amplifier. For that, it worked fine--music came out of the speakers loud enough to verify that I didn't make any mistakes.

sonci

I have a Topping 2020 mk2, it’s going strong for like 10 years in my bedroom.
I think it’s unfair to measure them at 5watts, they only produce like 2-3 watts at acceptable distortion, and those first watts are very good on high efficiency speakers, in fact for casual listening I don’t think I need more than 2W
Maybe they were overhypped a bit, by audiophiles.
There are some very positive reviews on TNT, and considering the price of the original Sonic t amp, it certainly was not snake oil, nobody had any interest in doing that reviews..

bravomail

Conclusions
There is nothing horrifically broken in Lepy LP-2020A. It is hard to imagine doing much better given the price that it aimed for. I understand there is another version with the proper TI Tripath amplifier. If so, that may be a better buy as I have heard it produces more power which was the main issue here.

I think I am going to use the LP-2020A for my electronics bench. Often when troubleshooting the audio path, you need to amplify what is there with an amp you don't mind blowing. :) And the LP-2020A fits that bill fine.

Wow! What an amazing fit! Finally! I've been hearing about these amps since my intro to Hifi by Zeus. Now we can understand how bad Zeus is! :D

FSH1Y

Would this be any good for a bass shaker (aura ast 1b-4) on a gaming seat?

Ismapics

My garage system. $75 worth of parts. Leppai (parts express) and Polk 6 1/2. For what I need it to do beats any BT Speaker costing the same or more.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 10.11.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-01-07 at 10.11.07 AM.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 107

ronniebear

Parts Express is offering a new variation on this design: the Lepai LP-2020AD. In response to my e-mail to Parts Express' tech department, inquiring about the differences between the Lepai LP-2020AD and the Lepai LP-2020TI,
The LP2020AD uses the ESMT AD52068 amp chip. This is more efficient, has a better sensitivity, and offers a slightly higher output than the LP-2020TI.... I personally would go with the newer LP-2020AD in your situation. It will have slightly more volume if needed.
Elite Semiconductor Microelectronics Technology Inc. (Taiwan)
ESMT audio chip listing
The AD52068: 2-channel audio, VDD (volts) 4.5 to 26, 20 watts power, package E-TSSOP-28L, and features "Analog in, Four gain, Power Limit, Mute, Filter-Free."

I'm going to order an LP2020AD fairly soon: the current price is $19.98 plus shipping (a bit under $10 to my area). As I live in the Bellevue/Seattle area, I wonder if Amir or another local member would like to put the Lepai LP-2020AD through a testing cycle?

FYI, to clarify the difference between Lepai and Lepy:
Lepai® is a registered trademark of Parts Express®

JktHifi

This can be useful to take out some components as spare parts, such as the RCA connectors, speakers terminals, etc.
And the metal box can be used as a door jamb.

Last edited:

GrayA

Parts Express is offering a new variation on this design: the Lepai LP-2020AD. In response to my e-mail to Parts Express' tech department, inquiring about the differences between the Lepai LP-2020AD and the Lepai LP-2020TI,

Elite Semiconductor Microelectronics Technology Inc. (Taiwan)
ESMT audio chip listing
The AD52068: 2-channel audio, VDD (volts) 4.5 to 26, 20 watts power, package E-TSSOP-28L, and features "Analog in, Four gain, Power Limit, Mute, Filter-Free."

I'm going to order an LP2020AD fairly soon: the current price is $19.98 plus shipping (a bit under $10 to my area). As I live in the Bellevue/Seattle area, I wonder if Amir or another local member would like to put the Lepai LP-2020AD through a testing cycle?

FYI, to clarify the difference between Lepai and Lepy:
@ronniebear Did you ever get the LP-202AD? How is it?

Top Bottom