• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

Legal arguments about Hypex and NORD licensing

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Were any Californian manufacturers incorporating NC1200 modules into their products prior to the publication of Nord's announcement? If not, what terms of the Californian market were they in conflict with?
Not sure why you are asking me. It is very unusual for a company like NORD to say in public what all has happened. The rest happens behind closed doors.

And I showed the problem: Retail Price Maintenance.

In 2019 a audio repairer / technician from Australia writes a post with a quote from a UK company (Nord), alleging that that Hypex has previously forced OEMs to price products above £x (10K), or £y (6.5K), and hence first company Nord claims it was not fit to release a product above that price point.

I have given an example of a UK startup that existed prior Nord. Acoustic Imagery that released a product below both x and y, at the very dawn of when the NC1200 was released (2012)- £5.7K (US$9K) per pair of mono block.

For those to care to look, there are also products with nCore 1200 at various price points eg.
Merrill Audio Veritas Twin (US$10K for a pair of mono blocks)
Theta Digital, US$12K for a pair of mono blocks)

Forgive my ignorance, but is this Retail Price Maintenance?

Last edited:

Wombat

Major Contributor
In 2019 a audio repairer / technician from Australia writes a post with a quote from a UK company (Nord), alleging that that Hypex has previously forced OEMs to price products above £x (10K), or £y (6.5K), and hence first company Nord claims it was not fit to release a product above that price point.
You need to go back and re-read my very first post, slowly. I didn't allege anyone was forced to do anything. Neither did Nord's post say that. I quoted a post (cut and paste) from Nord's website and commented on it, drawing some realtively logical possible conclusions.

It is unusual they (Nord) would write something like that in the first place. Clearly, there is some truth in it or they wouldn't have it on their website- considering they still sell Hypex products and wouldn't want to jeopardize that relationship would they?

Perhaps it is their way of saying the previous 'policy' was one sided, perhaps a little trade-restrictive and now it has been changed for the better.

I'd ask March Audio, but no doubt he is bound by a Hypex NDA. ;)

Last edited:

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Forgive my ignorance, but is this Retail Price Maintenance?
Legal term saying a supplier tells the ultimate seller how much to sell something for.

Ive preciously stated OP, which means “original post”. So cleary I have read it. There’s no need to direct me back to read the original post, slowly.

Did you underline to 2 lines to accentuate something, or was that the direct copy and paste?

Did you write below:

What they are indirectly saying that Hypex were likely (and had been doing so for a period of time) engaging in retail price maintenance by only supplying material content if the selling price was artificially maintained at a minimum of £6.5K or above!
Allege:
claim or assert that someone has done something illegal or wrong, typically without proof.

"he alleged that he had been assaulted"

This Audio Science Review forum.

All I’ve seen so far is rumour.
Anyway, I’m out. Thanks for listening. Goodnight.

RayDunzl

Major Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I get that it’s specs are great and that it even uses magic “blue fuses” and fancy schmancy OFC power cables but why the need for 400W amplifiers?

No fancy fuses here, definitely no fancy schmancy cables, Oxygen Free Copper is the norm, you're unlikely to find anything lesser in wire, and my big amps are rated 700W into 4 ohms.

Power demand goes up quicky, when you start feeling frisky and decide to rotate the big round knob in a clockwise direction.

Shirley this is inefficient from a System standpoint and points to a need for better efficiency loudspeakers.
I don't claim efficiency here.

And don't call me Shirley.

If you asked Colin, he would undoubtedly deny that he is implying or hinting that Hypex is engaging in illegal business practice. It would be dumb for him to publish such accusation in his website.

Also, why would Nord imply or hint that Hypex is engaging in illegal activity when so many of their products rely on Hypex modules? You surely don’t want to piss off your main supplier.

Wombat

Major Contributor
If you asked Colin, he would undoubtedly deny that he is implying or hinting that Hypex is engaging in illegal business practice. It would be dumb for him to publish such accusation in his website.

Also, why would Nord imply or hint that Hypex is engaging in illegal activity when so many of their products rely on Hypex modules? You surely don’t want to piss off your main supplier.

Have you asked Colin or is this supposition?

Have you asked Colin or is this supposition?
Check the link to the NC1200 on Nord's website on page one of this thread. The text I copied and pasted has mysteriously disappeared...

No doubt someone, (maybe our old friend Samoyed) put this thread or the content on someone's radar.

Here's the original text for future reference:

nord.JPG

Here's the 'new' text:
nord2.JPG

Wombat

Major Contributor
And I showed the problem: Retail Price Maintenance.
Just for the record, I mentioned it, in the very first post and the fact it is illegal in this country, Australia. I also opined it was similar in the UK, where the product in question was manufactured/assembled.

1560420376694.png

The whole discussion has been very interesting to say the least. I didn't expect the level of involvement or feisty behaviour it has attracted, but at the same time, I think it was worth throwing it out there for the ASR community to see and talk about.

Wombat

Major Contributor
You know, like most Australians, you really like to wind people up for amusement.

So, all you have left are ad hominems since Australian RPM law left on the last bus?

Beethoven surely would have recognized you. ;)

f94f1138055d9a0f101d584bfa25880b.jpg
;)

Top Bottom