• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legacy Wavelet Attempted Review (Speaker Processor)

Rate this audio processor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 161 93.6%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 6 3.5%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 4 2.3%

• Total voters
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
$4.950??? Teardown, teardown!!
Sure. Owner gave me kind permission for the teardown. Here is the full view:

Legacy wavelet processor teardown DAC home theater room correction DSP.jpg

It was interesting to find that the main control board on the left is a stock Raspberry Pi board! You can see it better here:
Legacy wavelet processor teardown RPi Board DAC home theater room correction DSP.jpg

I noticed that the one cable as marked was badly pinched. Its insulation was cut through but fortunately what was contacting the chassis was just the shield. I have pointed out in other teardown how such shorts can happen and we have a good example of it here.

There are too boards stacked on top of each other to do any quick analysis but I let you all look:
Legacy Bohmer Audio wavelet processor teardown RPi Board DAC IO home theater room correction DSP.jpg

That's it.

EDIT: looked up the one IC and it is an AD1938 ADC which I assume is for digitizing analog inputs.

Last edited:

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
EDIT: looked up the one IC and it is an AD1938 ADC which I assume is for digitizing analog inputs.
It has 4 ADC’s and 8 DAC’s. It probably has two to get to 8 ADC’s and might run the DAC’s in parallel? It’s really a very basic device, used in many DSP eval boards. Edit: probably it only need one, you cannot use 4 channels in parallel it seems.

And it runs on a Pi. I hope they run the SD card in read-only mode… if you have no way to access the thing yourself, it is really scary. And for the money, they could haves fitted an OLED screen.

Last edited:

anphex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Is there some kind of energy saving mode enabled?

Nango

Major Contributor
It has 4 ADC’s and 8 DAC’s. It probably has two to get to 8 ADC’s and might run the DAC’s in parallel? It’s really a very basic device, used in many DSP eval boards. Edit: probably it only need one, you cannot use 4 channels in parallel it seems.

And it runs on a Pi. I hope they run the SD card in read-only mode… if you have no way to access the thing yourself, it is really scary. And for the money, they could haves fitted an OLED screen.
I bet it is NOT read only arranged, that way they can charge an extra $1.000 servicing fee every time they need to check the SD card.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Is there some kind of energy saving mode enabled?
No. This is a low power device.

BTW, some talked about the power supply current. It is rated at 5 amps, not 2 as stated.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet it is NOT read only arranged, that way they can charge an extra $1.000 servicing fee every time they need to check the SD card.
Is that $1.00 or $100.00 or $1000.00? This bad habit of Euros in using a period or a comma for a decimal symbol is horrible grammar and it just confuses the rest of the world when trying to decipher what is intended. Please use a proper decimal place. :D I went through this with a girlfriend in Germany and she used a comma all the time and she finally sees the mistakes that she creates in using the comma instead of a decimal.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Is that $1.00 or $100.00 or $1000.00? This bad habit of Euros in using a period or a comma for a decimal symbol is horrible grammar and it just confuses the rest of the world when trying to decipher what is intended. Please use a proper decimal place. :D I went through this with a girlfriend in Germany and she used a comma all the time and she finally sees the mistakes that she creates in using the comma instead of a decimal.
Does that mean that you Yanks now also use Meters and Grams?

But no, actually the international standard is quite different. From wiki:
The 22nd General Conference on Weights and Measures declared in 2003 that "the symbol for the decimal marker shall be either the point on the line or the comma on the line". It further reaffirmed that "numbers may be divided in groups of three in order to facilitate reading; neither dots nor commas are ever inserted in the spaces between groups"[25](e.g. 1000000000). This usage has therefore been recommended by technical organizations, such as the United States' National Institute of Standards and Technology.[26]
:cool:
But yes, 1.000 would still be wrong, should be 1 000 :)

Last edited:

DSJR

Major Contributor
I was brought up that one thousand is 1,000 and a million is 1,000,000

P.S. And a decimal point is just that typed eg. 23.56. So I suppose a million and twenty three *point* five six I'd type as 1,000,023.56 (Oh Gawd, the bloomin' great hole I'm digging for myself here...)

I'll get me coat (mumble mumble)

Last edited:

Sputnik

Lol what?

You're Canadian? In Canada, the correct formatting for decimals is a dot for English speakers and a comma for French speakers. It is afaik the only country in the world that uses both .

In Euroland, only the Island people of Great Britain use dots because they want to be American, everyone else uses comma. I'd say that's a better system than Canada's.

Correct formatting in Euros only uses comma for decimals, no dots nor commas for thousands, so if you see a dot, it's incorrect, and if you see a comma, it's always decimals.

Last edited:

jam

Well not too different from Dirac approach as Dirac filters are also generated by Dirac servers but at least the end user has access to it but if Dirac servers are down or you don’t have internet access, you can’t run Dirac…
I looked inside the Dirac manual and you're correct. I guess they don't want to expose their algorithms on PCs where some resourceful people could reverse engineer them.

Sputnik

The mathematician John Napier, British inventor of Logarithms, instigated the use of the dot for decimals in 1614, long before the USA came into being.
I was just joking about the reason. Obviously it's historic.

Top Bottom