• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Legacy Focus SE

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I am in the market for a speaker upgrade and may have the opportunity to buy a pair of these used. I could not find any reported measurements. I would appreciate hearing about anyone's experiences and opinions of these speakers.

They will be for a 21'x30' room and powered by (ultimately) Hypex NCore amps (probably nc500 based). I primarily stream Qobuz hi res files throughs a CCA into a miniDSP SHD. Other sources are occasional RB CDs and some vinyl as well.

Thanks in advance for your help.

ahofer

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I auditioned a pair of these. My subjective impression was they were very easy to listen to and had a big speaker feel, somewhat on the “warm” side, perhaps not as detailed as the more expensiv KEFs and ATCs I heard the same day. I could imagine myself living with them long-term-and fatigue potential is one of my main audition criteria.

They seemed to punch well above their weight, price-wise ($8k?). I heard them with Krell, Anthem, and Primaluna amps,I think (dealer was hyperactive with amps). The tube amp didn’t seem like a good choice, but it has weird frequency response.

I ended up buying Harbeth SHL5+, but listened to them on another day.

OP
M

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I auditioned a pair of these. My subjective impression was they were very easy to listen to and had a big speaker feel, somewhat on the “warm” side, perhaps not as detailed as the more expensiv KEFs and ATCs I heard the same day. I could imagine myself living with them long-term-and fatigue potential is one of my main audition criteria.

They seemed to punch well above their weight, price-wise ($8k?). I heard them with Krell, Anthem, and Primaluna amps,I think (dealer was hyperactive with amps). The tube amp didn’t seem like a good choice, but it has weird frequency response.

I ended up buying Harbeth SHL5+, but listened to them on another day.

Thanks!

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
If the price is right and what you really want is floor standing speakers then it's a go.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Bill's built a number of versions of the Focus loudspeaker, don't know if I ever heard any.
What I do remember is everything I heard from his lines were very impressive sounding.
Can't remember which ones he had at the Tampa show last Feb, one large floor stander and a stand mount in separate room.
Both revealed a Class A sound IMO
I've always had great regard for Bill Dudleston as a speaker designer.
If the price is right I think I'd grab them, they should fit your room size very well.

John Atkinson at Stereophile measured the Focus 20/20 model way back in 2004
https://www.stereophile.com/content/legacy-audio-focus-2020-loudspeaker-measurements

Last edited:

geek101

Forum Donor
I have met Bill in person without knowing who he was. Was thoroughly impressed on how well he answered some of my questions.

That aside I did listen to a lot of speakers @ RMAF 2018 and what stuck me was the value for $$, the detail towards engineering excellence and comittment to providing great sound using science by Legacy Audio. They are one of few vendors that insist on good room correction.

I listened to Focus SE , the Focus XD and Aeris. I would go for the larger ribbons and bigger drivers. They have Caliber XD that you can custom order with bass section powered.

When budget constrained I would go with Caliber XD (save money on amplification) and later add a sub.

I would characterize the sound has fatigue free, getting those larger ribbons and special drivers does lower the distortion and room correction is important.

For me the alternative is a pair of ATC SCM 19a but they still need a sub.

Good luck. It is very hard to find honest speaker.

OP
M

murraycamp

Forum Donor
I appreciate the input. Unfortunately, the opportunity passed and they were no longer available by the time I expressed serious interest. Not in the cards. Back to the hunt.

Maybe some Zu Omens. I hear they have effective electrosmog filters. ;)

Top Bottom