• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LED noise with Pioneer DDJ-SB3 - Ground loop /

CTA

I'm getting noise when I use my DJ controller and I'm pretty sure it's from the USB cable or bad shielding from the unit. I have a fairly complicated setup, and I've trouble shooted different USB cables, RCA cables, and power sockets that feed my pc / speakers. The issue only happens when the controller is plugged in via usb and still persists even if I don't have the RCA connected to my soundcard. Specifically, it's worse when the LED lights in the unit flash (when in standby mode).

I've seen a lot of similar problems on the pioneer forum but the support sucks, claiming it's not an issue their end, and it doesn't happen when people use macs.
The best solution I've seen is this guy who made a USB cable that separated the data and the power https://forums.pioneerdj.com/hc/en-...y_id=200133289#community_comment_115000075123 . Other solutions have been to use RCA ground loop isolators, and I've spent hours on youtube looking at USB isolators like the ifi, jitterbug and hifime adapters - but I'm still at a loss what the best solution would be.

My question to you is what is the best way to fix this issue and for the cheapest?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
looks like it is a groundloop issue.
A USB isolator or properly grounded mains fed devices might be the answer.
Jitterbug does absolutely nothing nor will reclockers.
You will need a USB isolator. The ifi one may work, it may not.
Hard to predict.

kn0ppers

I've seen a lot of similar problems on the pioneer forum but the support sucks, claiming it's not an issue their end, and it doesn't happen when people use macs.

I wouldn't believe that. I experienced ground loops that went "through" my MacBook more than once. I also know the kind of setups DJs use and how chaotic they often are. Maybe you could visualise yours with a quick drawing? Just out of curiosity, do the LEDs all flash at the same time?

As solderdude said, a proper USB Isolator is probably your best bet, but I would consider buying at some place where you can either test it beforehand or return it if your USB devices don't work properly with the isolator in the chain.

OP
C

CTA

ok thanks guys, ive done a quick simple setup diagram, but sometimes i have other things in the chain such as a sampler - gonna look into the IFI again now

Attachments

• ddj noise.jpg
    ddj noise.jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 258

solderdude

Grand Contributor
athe mixer and Pioneer are all USB fed only ?

OP
C

CTA

yes the mixer and dj controller are both only usb, the sound card is also usb, but sometimes i have power for it to drive a condenser mic, but this issue happens anyway, regardless.

And the led lights inthe dj controller flash in a pattern like a rubbish xmas tree - completely useless and annoying

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Start with stratigically using an USB isolator or a line level isolator.
3 USB outlets seem to be connected via RCA cables together.
There is no clear recipe but would start with eiter isolation transformer in RCA path of the Pioneer or a USB isolator.

OP
C

CTA

Start with stratigically using an USB isolator or a line level isolator.
3 USB outlets seem to be connected via RCA cables together.
There is no clear recipe but would start with eiter isolation transformer in RCA path of the Pioneer or a USB isolator.

Would the usb isolator be preferable, as I presume it wont affect the quality of the analog signal, unlike a RCA isolator?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
USB would be preferable but most likely also has to be fed with a powersupply.

ThatWeddingDJ

I'm running a MacBook Pro and I'm having the same issue with noise/buzzing from the DDJ SB3 unit. I have also swapped out USB cables and other leads but still getting an annoying background noise on audio signal. Yes, it disappears when the DDJ is disconnected. I've also checked all power cables for earthing issues. the noise actually changes tone with the random lighting function of the DDJ.

Top Bottom