• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

tuga

Major Contributor
Interesting talks about music:

How to truly listen - Evelyn Glennie
In this soaring demonstration, deaf percussionist Evelyn Glennie illustrates how listening to music involves much more than simply letting sound waves hit your eardrums.

How architecture helped music evolve - David Byrne
Since the break-up of Talking Heads in 1991, David Byrne has made a good career for himself as a solo artist, working in film and music, and also becoming an active supporter of cycling.
Overtly intellectual, Byrne has given lectures on a great variety of topics – from Carl Jung to the ways in which venue and context shape artistic creation.

The transformative power of classical music - Benjamin Zander
Benjamin Zander has two infectious passions: classical music, and helping us all realize our untapped love for it – and by extension, our untapped love for all new possibilities, new experiences, new connections.

The 4 ways sound affects us - Julian Treasure
Playing sound effects both pleasant and awful, Julian Treasure shows how sound affects us in four significant ways.
Listen carefully for a shocking fact about noisy open-plan offices.

The Power of the Pentatonic Scale - Bobby McFerrin
Bobby McFerrin demonstrates the power of the pentatonic scale, using audience participation, at the event "Notes & Neurons: In Search of the Common Chorus".
Watch the full program here: https://youtu.be/S0kCUss0g9Q

Last edited:

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Roughly sorted according to theme, and chosen because I think they're worth listening to. The difficulty ranges from introductory to real heavy.

Part of the way I dive into a topic is to find lectures by knowledgeable people and then build archives. So maybe others will find this useful as well.

This is great @pozz! Thanks for sharing :)

tuga

Major Contributor
One two more:

The Music Instinct: Science and Song - documentary by Elena Mannes
While listening to music, neuroscientist Daniel Levitin, asks the questions “where do goose bumps come from?” and “what’s going on in my brain that allows the goosebumps to happen?”
Levitin leads a group of researchers as they investigate music’s fundamental physical structure; its biological, emotional and psychological impact; its brain altering and healing powers and its role in human evolution.

From Perception to Pleasure: How Music Changes the Brain - Dr. Robert Zatorre
In 2005 he was named holder of a James McGill chair in Neuroscience.
In 2006 he became the founding co-director of the international laboratory for Brain, Music, and Sound research (BRAMS), a unique multi-university consortium with state-of-the art facilities dedicated to the cognitive neuroscience of music.
In 2011 he was awarded the IPSEN foundation prize in neuronal plasticity, in 2013 he won the Knowles prize in hearing research from Northwestern University, and in 2017 was named a fellow of the Royal Society of Canada.
He lives in Montreal with his wife and collaborator Virginia Penhune, professor of psychology at Concordia University.
He tries to keep up his baroque repertoire on the organ whenever he can get a chance.

Last edited:
OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Thanks @tuga

I'll have to listen to them.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
Just did a big update. A few I'd like to highlight:

Last edited:

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Roughly sorted according to theme, and chosen because I think they're worth listening to. The difficulty ranges from introductory to real heavy.

Part of the way I dive into a topic is to find lectures by knowledgeable people and then build archives. So maybe others will find this useful as well.

Psychoacoustics

Acoustics

Gear

Playback

Production & Performance

Full Courses

Sources, Channels
WowzerZzz. You've been busy.

OP
pozz

pozz

Слава Україні