• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Least microphonic cable?

Carlo2AC

What should i look for in a cable if i want it to be the least microphonic (translating noise from touching the clothing, moving my head around and etc?) possible?

Currently searching aliexpress for double 3.5mm to any plugin but i don't know what to look for..

• Should it be plastic exterior? cloth?
  • What about braided cables?
  • Thin or thick?

Here are some cheap ones that caught my eye :

THIS one is the one that caught my eye, looks quite thin (which i am presuming is better?) but a bit plastic, and one of the reviewers commented that they aren't that microphonic

THIS other one is a bit thicker, looks to be of higher quality but i don't know how "hard" it is and might translate noise from touching clothing / moving my head?

1 2 theses are braided plastique which i have no experience with, 3 has sold quite a few though

If there are any other cheap recommendations a part from the ones i am in doubt about i would also welcome them!

Zim

Forum Donor
You'd want a cable with a sleeve that has very low friction. Smooth and soft.

Personally found braided cables have been more microphonic than non-braided cables.

As for your first link, I have those with a different termination, and they're terribly microphonic.

OP
C

Carlo2AC

You'd want a cable with a sleeve that has very low friction. Smooth and soft.

Personally found braided cables have been more microphonic than non-braided cables.

As for your first link, I have those with a different termination, and they're terribly microphonic.

What are your thoughts on the other ones friend? any recommendation?

Koeitje

Major Contributor
I'd say non-braided, thin and flexible is your best bet.

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Hart Audio cables and call it a day!!

IMG_8348.jpeg

IMG_8353.jpeg

IMG_8356.jpeg

mansr

Major Contributor
1 2 theses are braided plastique
For that explosive sound?

Jokes aside, are you talking about purely mechanical noise? If so, soft/supple and smooth is the way to go.

Some cable materials, e.g. Teflon, have a tendency to create electrical noise when handled. While this can be an issue for low-level signals, such as from microphones, it's unlikely to matter in a headphone cable.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Some cable materials, e.g. Teflon, have a tendency to create electrical noise when handled. While this can be an issue for low-level signals, such as from microphones, it's unlikely to matter in a headphone cable.
Not to mention Wint-O-Green Lifesavers.
No, sorry, that's light -- so only an issue with TOSlink connections.
:cool:

1633963067060.jpeg

I really thought this thread was (would be) about microphonic cables -- so I was all ready to roll my eyes. Little did I know it was actually gonna be about stethoscopic cables. Great sigh of relief from me! ;)

That also got me to thinkin' about nonmicrophonic microphone cables. Investing in a set of those would seem like a colossal waste of money, you know?

Sort of like Steven Wright's joke about spot remover:
I put some spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Thank you, thank you. I'm here 'til Thursday night. Try the borscht. Don't forget to tip your server.

:rolleyes:

OP
C

Carlo2AC

Maybe that is the way, though i would've liked to spend less and get something from Ali / Banggood

Not to mention Wint-O-Green Lifesavers.
No, sorry, that's light -- so only an issue with TOSlink connections.
:cool:

View attachment 158423

I really thought this thread was (would be) about microphonic cables -- so I was all ready to roll my eyes. Little did I know it was actually gonna be about stethoscopic cables. Great sigh of relief from me! ;)

That also got me to thinkin' about nonmicrophonic microphone cables. Investing in a set of those would seem like a colossal waste of money, you know?

Sort of like Steven Wright's joke about spot remover:

Thank you, thank you. I'm here 'til Thursday night. Try the borscht. Don't forget to tip your server.

:rolleyes:
Que?

For that explosive sound?

Jokes aside, are you talking about purely mechanical noise? If so, soft/supple and smooth is the way to go.

Shouldn't be an ishsue for headphones, unless the cable is broken

Yes, i mean the "mechanical" noise that gets transferred to the earcup when you it touches your clothes to when you move around

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to jump on this thread because I recently purchased a Dan Clark Stealth but am not very happy with the cable. The included Vivo cable generates too much noise due to friction against clothing. The cheaper Dummer cable is slightly better, but still not ideal. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for cables with very little microphonics to buy in Germany/Europe?

someguyontheinternet

I don't know any for sure, but there is a guy who makes cables to order:

I would guess that you can put together options that would result in good isolation from friction noises.

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I want to jump on this thread because I recently purchased a Dan Clark Stealth but am not very happy with the cable. The included Vivo cable generates too much noise due to friction against clothing. The cheaper Dummer cable is slightly better, but still not ideal. Does anyone have any specific recommendations for cables with very little microphonics to buy in Germany/Europe?
From experience the 10 foot Sennheiser HD598SR 1/4" cable is dead quiet with no micro phonics whatsoever. The Sennheiser 650 is similar and may be dead quiet too. That's if you are running single ended and not balanced. You could make your own cable from these parts?

enricoclaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
I had a pair of DCA AEON 2 Noires and I was using them with Hart Audio Cables and they are fantastic. I also have Hart Audio Cables for my Sennheiser 660s and HiFiMan Sundaras. Hart Audio Cables is located in Texas, USA but they do ship to Germany. Their cables are build to order and all their cables are handmade.

IMG_8551.jpeg

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Sennheiser 650 is similar and may be dead quiet too. That's if you are running single ended and not balanced. You could make your own cable from these parts?

I reterminated an HD650 cable for my Aeon 2's. Soft, suple, and silent, but not the easiest thing for someone's first DIY soldering job.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Thanks for your answers. I tried soldering a headphone cable once, but realized i have at least three left hands... So i ordered from Hart Audio, because i like their modular concept. I will report back if microphonics are better than Vivo or Dummer cables from DCA.

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have the Hart Cables now. Quality, looks and the modular functionality are very nice. Much thinner and lighter than the DCA Vivo. But they are not better than the DCA Vivo Cables in terms of microphonics for me, i think. A bit different though - some noises are quieter, some are louder. To be fair, some reviewers found the DCA Vivo cables had "zero" microphonics, so maybe i am very sensitive. I don´t know if this is just the limit of what´s possible. Maybe my verdict changes after some time of testing.
Hard to test the differences, because the noise is dependent from a few more parameters, like the exact fit of the headphone, and how exactly the cable touches my clothes. Maybe i should just stop wearing clothes and rely on my fur.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Microphonics usually refers to electrical issues caused by movement, i.e. changes in properties as you flex (vibrate, whatever) the cable. I am guessing what you are describing are purely mechanical issues wherein touching or moving the cable causes handling noise in the headphones. If you are sensitive to that, wireless headphones might be your best option, or look for headphones with better isolation from the cable. You can buy more flexible cables and such but they probably won't stop mechanical noise.

With microphones it is common to put a loop near the mic attached to a clip on the stand so pulling (stepping, etc.) on the cable does not transmit noise to the mic. You might try a loop from the headphones to provide some slack with a clip on your shirt. But it is likely that turning your head will still generate some noise...

DJBonoBobo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Microphonics usually refers to electrical issues caused by movement, i.e. changes in properties as you flex (vibrate, whatever) the cable. I am guessing what you are describing are purely mechanical issues wherein touching or moving the cable causes handling noise in the headphones.
Yes, you are right. Thanks for the explanation. I wrongly thought the mechanical noises were called "microphonics".

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Yes, you are right. Thanks for the explanation. I wrongly thought the mechanical noises were called "microphonics".
NP, helps to clarify the exact problem. Lots of arcane/obtuse verbiage in the world... Simplistically, microphonics occur when a mechanical change is translated into an electrical change. A microphone is a perfect example of a device designed to be microphonic. :) Cables do exhibit microphonics, but (mechanical) handling noise is a different problem.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
I have hart audio custom braided cables and they are very microphonic. If the regular cables they make aren’t I may make the switch.
Braided cables are usually much more microphonic than standard coax. The braid allows greater movement among conductors. That said I have rarely found microphonics from cables to be an issue in a home system.

Top Bottom