• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Least distortion amp for Sennheiser HD650

sbmarr

Wanting to buy a new amp that's been tested on this site, which ones will drive the HD650 headphones to their maximum rated SPL with the least distortion/noise?
Some amps have low/high gain and when used in high gain add extra distortion/noise.
Can any of the cheaper $100 to $200 amps achieve this?
Thanks for any suggestions

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

bunkbail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

Poseidons Voice

Forum Donor
Tom Christiansen Audio HPA-1
Neurochrome Audio HP-2

MRC01

Major Contributor
... Can any of the cheaper $100 to $200 amps achieve this? ...
Some of the replies seem to have missed this part of your request.
The JDS Atom and Geshelli Archel2 are perfectly suited to the OP's request. They're among the best headphone amps Amir has measured, regardless of price. Yet they're still in that low price range.

OP
S

sbmarr

Thanks for all your replies with suggestions. Yes I think the Atom, Geshelli or Schiit heresy are all in my price range. The only disadvantage of buying them is living in New Zealand and if there's any warranty issue they need to be returned to the US. I wonder which one would have the best reliability?

MRC01

Major Contributor
My JDS Atom has been constantly on for a year, used daily, no problems. I had a JDS Element with similar bulletproof reliability.
But all 3 of them are solid state op amp based, so they don't get too hot, probably have equally great reliability.
What you give up with these very low cost high performance amps is build quality. They're well built but they aren't designed to stand up to the kind of abuse that professional gear can withstand. Plastic cases & knobs, etc. Just use them gently.

Svperstar

I love my Gilmore Lite mk2 with my 6XX however its never been measured on ASR and is fairly expensive at $500.

DuxServit

Forum Donor
For my HD650, I have both the THX AAA and Gesheli Archel2. Both amps are a great match for HD650.

Top Bottom