• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Learn Piano At 70+ ?

Aerith Gainsborough

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Very slowly :(
It's been quite a struggle, having issues trying to get the left and right hands working independently has been a serious road-bump for me. Then also it's caused unexpected problems with arthritis in my fingers and wrists to flare up to the point I need to take a days break from practicing after every two or three days work. But I'm hanging in there.

Sounds familiar.
I started piano in Fall 2019 at the age of 33. I can identify with your struggle, including the pain part. I too was caught by surprise how fragile the body really is and how even a little tension/wrong positioning can knock you out.

I cannot play more than ~45 minutes per day. Well one does play with the cards one is given and tries to make the best of it, don't we?

I would not want to miss my teacher though. She is not only a lot of fun to meet but also invaluable in terms of being able to see what I do and intervene before bad habits form.
Slow is good. So is variety. Try playing things with swing or straight, louder, softer. These are good ways to generalise what you're learning without losing your mind through repetition
This is truly a kicker, aye.
Nothing is worse than feeling your brain becoming bored while repeating passages your motor skills struggle with.
Sometimes I think I can hear my brain curse the incompetence of those two idiots it tries to conduct. :D

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I would not want to miss my teacher though. She is not only a lot of fun to meet but also invaluable in terms of being able to see what I do and intervene before bad habits form.
An update as promised,
Thanks for the input and encouragement from everyone, it really does help.
I'm hanging in there but not practicing as much as I should be due to arthritis issues I didn't expect
I'm sure a teacher would be a help but I can't afford that right now..
I bought 1 year of training for $89 from flowkey, and there are many other free online sources I can go to for variety.
I also have a pro musician friend in the park who has stopped by and given me valuable hints a few times.
I have no illusions of ever being very good but if I can play and sing for myself sometime in the future I'll be happy
To Be Continued. ;)

Top Bottom