• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LEAF Dac Dual 9038Q2M VS Gustard X16 ! Pictures inside )

Morpheus85

This is the main module to drive the OP amps and I guess it also related to the Headphone output... But not sure at all.
Double-layer modular circuit board, the top is balanced headphone amp circuit with 5PCS mute relays, and the output is also with mute relay, there is no switch noise when play DSD and PCM music.

this is from aliexpress.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Should be nice that a US boy could send it to Amir and will be fixed )
What a pity that I am not in the USA because I have lots of amp to share too !

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
At that price it's almost "too good to be true" territory - would love to see measurements. The only downside seems to be that it's balanced only. Well, that, and the cheap looking chassis. At this price I'd be tempted to just buy it as a secondary unit for the bedroom.

How do the outputs function? Can you switch between pre-out and line-out? And is it simple to mute them when listening to headphones?

Cheap chassis ? How can you say this ? do you have it ? I own it and own the Gustard... the Leaf is made in a solid alu case, really sober and seems robust as the Gustard X16. The volume knob is notched and works fine, there is a push function on it so you can surf into the Menu.
The Oled screen is really simple and and super easy to read. The BT chip is nice, LDAC and APTX HD work great. See the BT module, is
protected by a cover ( in its previous version 1.1 this was not the case )... we see that the creators have therefore followed their product and improved it in the V1.3 : this is not common in this price range and it's a rather reassuring clue!

Need to test other inputs and listen it more carefully.

I would be very surprised to see how it measures ) Any US candidate there ?
If it was tested by Amir you might be the first to buy)

Last edited:

Morpheus85

have you removed the board which has the 2 opamps and tested whether it works and what does not work as a result? maybe that way you can localize what it's there for.

e:

i think this is the circuit. see my picture. The 9038Q2M chip is green. but in the end it leads to an opamp again, which again cannot be balanced.

Attachments

• photo_2021-04-09_12-08-34.jpg
    photo_2021-04-09_12-08-34.jpg
    141.7 KB · Views: 757
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
have you removed the board which has the 2 opamps and tested whether it works and what does not work as a result? maybe that way you can localize what it's there for.

e:

i think this is the circuit. see my picture. The 9038Q2M chip is green. but in the end it leads to an opamp again, which again cannot be balanced.

You have the answer in the picture ) You see here the whole board, module has been removed here.
But if you mean : If I tested the DAC wihout that module, NO : I don't want to take any risk ))))

Since I am not the designer of this DAC, I can't answer about the rule of each OP amps and to what they are linked...
In my dual AK4497 : I also have 4 OP amps : 2 are dedicated to the RCA and 2 to the XLR.

We should ask to the manufacturer about the architecture of this DAC...We can assume a lot of things ...

BUT : I made a long listening test yesterday and switched between the Gustard X16 and the Leaf and I am very impressed by the Leaf. Both are very good and if I close my eyes : I would find it hard to make a difference when listening ....

Should be cool to see another member getting the Leaf so we can get another opinion )

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
do you have the possibility to test the headphone output?

I don't have any headset @ home and need an adapter... sorry )
I can only test the RCA / USB / BT / XLR

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi amigos,

I have updated the 7 OP amps as following :

2 OPA 1656
2 OPA 1612
1 OPA1692
2 OPA1622

Here the test done with my Dual Mono TPA3221 / OPA1652 Amplifier + RCA outputs, BT LDAC mode.
Absolutely dead silence between tracks and works really great as well.

Source : HD Classical volume 2 over BT LDAC / LG30

Video :

https://streamable.com/zu8cw0

Last edited:
OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
do you notice a change in the sound?

Difficult to answer :

Test 1 : Leaf DAC + 5 stock OP amps / 2 OPA1656 + Hypex Ncore amp > XLR
Test 2 : Leaf DAC + 7 OP amps upgrade + Dual TPA3221 > RCA

For the moment I rather test the inputs and the possible configurations with the OP amps.
I'm trying to see how the DAC behaves with different combinations )

DTTOM37

Hi, thank you for pointing out to that little marvel.

The pricepoint - even with added tax - is incredibly low for a unit sporting all these individual features in a balanced/symmetric design. I have 4 different ESS9038q2m DACs here, (Topping/KTBD/Soncoz/Allo) from which the ALLO Revolution sounds most different - and better to my reception. However its not a symmetric design and only USB to RCA out. Which makes me very curious if the different design choice would impact the SQ as well.
In my view, if it has a reliability like the KDTB one can't really go wrong with 140 Euro shipped to the EU.

According to the XMOS driver 4.13.0 download (2020) via G-drive it looks like the unit's designer is related to Nobsound / Douk Audio. However it is not (yet?) available at their website as far as I could see.

Added: Obviously it had been available at Amazon already last autumn under the Nobsound brand. Douk Audio does advertise the unit at Aliexpress as well.

Cheers, DT

Last edited:

lizhuoyin

Forum Donor
All outputs at 2V rms? That's not right.
They do mention usb shield to improve performance.

stumper3819

Forum Donor
Online chat listed shipping to USA 35-65 days, how long did it take for you daniboun?

Morpheus85

I asked the seller for a plan for the opamps. I'll get an answer to that tomorrow.

and I ordered one. Plus LME49720 opamps. These opamps are very good all-rounders
I also have OPA1656, 1622, and 1612 in pairs. But I don't want to mix.

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
I asked the seller for a plan for the opamps. I'll get an answer to that tomorrow.

and I ordered one. Plus LME49720 opamps. These opamps are very good all-rounders
I also have OPA1656, 1622, and 1612 in pairs. But I don't want to mix.

Really nice ) I am looking forward to get another opinion.
I have many OP amps @ home but need time to find the best combo )

Keep me posted as soon as you get it )

OP
daniboun

daniboun

Major Contributor
Hi, thank you for pointing out to that little marvel.

The pricepoint - even with added tax - is incredibly low for a unit sporting all these individual features in a balanced/symmetric design. I have 4 different ESS9038q2m DACs here, (Topping/KTBD/Soncoz/Allo) from which the ALLO Revolution sounds most different - and better to my reception. However its not a symmetric design and only USB to RCA out. Which makes me very curious if the different design choice would impact the SQ as well.
In my view, if it has a reliability like the KDTB one can't really go wrong with 140 Euro shipped to the EU.

According to the XMOS driver 4.13.0 download (2020) via G-drive it looks like the unit's designer is related to Nobsound / Douk Audio. However it is not (yet?) available at their website as far as I could see.

Added: Obviously it had been available at Amazon already last autumn under the Nobsound brand. Douk Audio does advertise the unit at Aliexpress as well.

Cheers, DT

I dont think Leaf Audio and Douk Audio / Nobsound or other are linked. But I would say that Leaf Audio is providing this dac to many brand in China.

I can't wait to have opinions on this dac and to know if my feeling is shared! )))

DTTOM37

I dont think Leaf Audio and Douk Audio / Nobsound or other are linked. But I would say that Leaf Audio is providing this dac to many brand in China.

I can't wait to have opinions on this dac and to know if my feeling is shared! )))

I have noted that Leaf Audio designs are around for almost a decade in the DIY section of Hifi forums and Amanero boards were another line of business for them. The CMD-22 is marketed under their own name, while Leaf Audio came in flavors of Aiyima, Deafidelity, Douk and Nobsound, the DOUK subbrand.

At least three DOUK DACs are Leaf Audio's CMD-X design including the CMD-23 you introduced here.
But contrary to Leaf Audio itself the other brands have had products already reviewed on this site:
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...sound-ns-02e-review-tube-headphone-amp.20036/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...eardown-of-douk-audio-mc103-pro-switch.11020/
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...out-xlr-audio-switch-review.11062/post-312702
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...surements-of-the-leaf-audio-dsd1796dac.10174/ (was a DOUK ...)
https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...ds/aiyima-a07-tpa3255-review-amplifier.18984/

Just to avoid misunderstanding, my comment was made to give fellow members some direction in case they would shy away from a product from perhaps "questionable provenance".
Obviously it wasn't intended for you, as you have it already in your system ;-)
A+ DT
(edited spelling)

Last edited:
Top Bottom