• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Leaf Audio PA-03 MKII Review (Tube Preampifier)

Newbie here, thanks for the review on this unit, I have the one with the mono balanced input/output and was disappointed to see the measurements it produced. Has anyone managed to improve this unit and care to share? I bought mine second hand at less than half the original price and upgraded the tubes but was never completely satisfied.. My little dot mk2 makes a better preamp but damn do I love the look of this thing! I am in two minds whether to sell it on or look to improve its design. If there is some basic mods I can do to improve this I'd love to know what people have done? I currently have mine fed by an v2 SMSL SU-8 and it's connected to a serviced late edition Quad 606 (which is connected to some modified Monacor Katana M1's) It definitely sounds better after 45-60 minutes warming up, if this is the transformer or tubes warming up I don't know maybe it's just my ears lol. I'm tempted to try the SU-8 direct into the Quad but VU meters are so pretty :)

gonzoucab

Newbie here, thanks for the review on this unit, I have the one with the mono balanced input/output and was disappointed to see the measurements it produced. Has anyone managed to improve this unit and care to share? I bought mine second hand at less than half the original price and upgraded the tubes but was never completely satisfied.. My little dot mk2 makes a better preamp but damn do I love the look of this thing! I am in two minds whether to sell it on or look to improve its design. If there is some basic mods I can do to improve this I'd love to know what people have done? I currently have mine fed by an v2 SMSL SU-8 and it's connected to a serviced late edition Quad 606 (which is connected to some modified Monacor Katana M1's) It definitely sounds better after 45-60 minutes warming up, if this is the transformer or tubes warming up I don't know maybe it's just my ears lol. I'm tempted to try the SU-8 direct into the Quad but VU meters are so prettunplu y :)
unplug it bro.

H-713

Newbie here, thanks for the review on this unit, I have the one with the mono balanced input/output and was disappointed to see the measurements it produced. Has anyone managed to improve this unit and care to share? I bought mine second hand at less than half the original price and upgraded the tubes but was never completely satisfied.. My little dot mk2 makes a better preamp but damn do I love the look of this thing! I am in two minds whether to sell it on or look to improve its design. If there is some basic mods I can do to improve this I'd love to know what people have done? I currently have mine fed by an v2 SMSL SU-8 and it's connected to a serviced late edition Quad 606 (which is connected to some modified Monacor Katana M1's) It definitely sounds better after 45-60 minutes warming up, if this is the transformer or tubes warming up I don't know maybe it's just my ears lol. I'm tempted to try the SU-8 direct into the Quad but VU meters are so pretty :)

Three options, in order of difficulty if you don't want to sell it:
1) Pretend you never read the review and enjoy it for what it is. This is probably the smartest route to take.
2) Gut it, then design and build a new preamp from scratch in the chassis.
3) Beg Leaf Audio for schematics. When they say no, reverse engineer it. Once you have schematics, identify where the issues are and correct them.

#3 is quite difficult. #2 is a project, but preamps aren't too hard to do reasonably well. IMO, #1 is what I recommend doing.

gonzoucab

forget the review, is better to be happy than to have the truth

egellings

Major Contributor
Why not just buy a competent preamp at the outset and be done with it?

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
I've just gotten back home briefly after some time away. I'm not sure who owns this unit, but please PM me with whether or not you want to keep the mods and shipping for return info.

Grazie- an interesting exercise.

H-713

I've just gotten back home briefly after some time away. I'm not sure who owns this unit, but please PM me with whether or not you want to keep the mods and shipping for return info.

Not mine, but I'd be curious to hear what you ended up doing to it.

Yes please share when you get chance I'm super keen to improve my unit

TonyJZX

Major Contributor
the higher end "mk2" seems to run without the vices of the 'cheaper' model but i mean... its a fancy distortion box

it adds tube harmonics... it may be very subtle and it may have positive effects for some people

i would rather they had a "tube stage defeat button" so that it removes that out of the line so you can 'hear' the effects like the tone defeat 'with' or 'without' tubes

i dont think these will ever be accepted here because this place is very anti tube anyway, with good reason

Toku

Major Contributor
I wonder why people buy devices with tubes? Worst sound ever.
I started my electronic hobby in 1960 when I was 9 years old, and have been working with vacuum tubes ever since. And I have dealt with a lot of vacuum tubes as a profession. Therefore, I think I know everything about vacuum tubes.

Many of today's audiophiles are of a generation that grew up without knowing about vacuum tubes. Therefore, I believe that people of this generation will feel a special magical power and admiration for the mysterious device called a vacuum tube.
Products using vacuum tubes are by no means excellent electrically, but the appearance and the faint light emitted by the heater create an indescribable atmosphere. It has a very warm glow, just like the light from a candle or incandescent bulb. I think that's probably what attracts people to vacuum tube products.
I don't think vacuum tube equipment is a product for serious discussion of electrical performance as audio equipment. I think it's just for nostalgic unique sounds and atmospheres and immersion.
I also like how to enjoy such antique audio. However, it will be difficult to become a target product in ASR.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I started my electronic hobby in 1960 when I was 9 years old, and have been working with vacuum tubes ever since. And I have dealt with a lot of vacuum tubes as a profession. Therefore, I think I know everything about vacuum tubes.

Many of today's audiophiles are of a generation that grew up without knowing about vacuum tubes. Therefore, I believe that people of this generation will feel a special magical power and admiration for the mysterious device called a vacuum tube.
Products using vacuum tubes are by no means excellent electrically, but the appearance and the faint light emitted by the heater create an indescribable atmosphere. It has a very warm glow, just like the light from a candle or incandescent bulb. I think that's probably what attracts people to vacuum tube products.
I don't think vacuum tube equipment is a product for serious discussion of electrical performance as audio equipment. I think it's just for nostalgic unique sounds and atmospheres and immersion.
I also like how to enjoy such antique audio. However, it will be difficult to become a target product in ASR.
You summarize my feelings about tubes. I had plenty as a kid, and they were fun to play with. The very best tube amps I've heard have no sound of their own. The ones that distort noticeably just irritate me.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
OTOH, it is not difficult to make tube electronics that are audibly transparent, so one can capture the non-sonic esthetic tubes bring without damaging the sound.

LCM

Does no one suspect that there was a problem with the Amir test or that the machine itself malfunctioned? Please take another test:

Last edited:

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Does no one suspect that there was a problem with the Amir test or that the machine itself malfunctioned? Please take another test:
I had no problem duplicating Amir's results. The design has a major flaw.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Not actually, but give it to the Marketing Dept and they'll roll it & coat it in glitter & sell it as MAGNIFICENT !!!!
Actually, I think they'll call it "SE" (Special Edition). ;)

Given that the Schiity boyz now have a product monikered Urd... we may get to find out.
:cool:

SchiitURD-CanJam2022.jpg

The Schiit Urd.

egellings

Major Contributor
I wonder why people buy devices with tubes? Worst sound ever.
Tube amplification does not have to sound bad, colored, or excessively "creamy". Circuit design is the key, not the device used. Of course, if a tube preamp or amplifier is made to sound clean & accurate, then why bother? My reply would be, if you like the looks of a tube product and its sound pleases your nun-handles, and you are willing to put up with maintenance such as tube replacement, then enjoy the music that comes through it. If it's not your cup of tea, then just pass it by.

Top Bottom