• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Leaf Audio PA-03 MKII Review (Tube Preampifier)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Serge years ago said that a well designed tube amp could have extremely low distortion but then itwould sound just like a transistor amp.
My experience with valves apart from the fire hazard and inherent unreliability was the syrupy sound just awful.
Perhaps if you only listen to solo female voice but even then.
Keith
I've heard transparent tube amps, back in the late 60s. But I agree, the "tube sound" is pretty intolerable. I didn't like it growing up, and I don't like it now.

Being cynical, I could believe the syrupy sound was a useful bandaid over the sound of some old speakers.

LCM

My apologies, my Chinese is not to the level of your English.
:facepalm:
I'm very sorry, but I sent the wrong message because my computer webpage is automatically translated.
The original text is: Yes, I am also using another version, but the volume and some capacitors are different. Everything else is the same. The sound quality is good, at least no broken sound can be heard. However, the performance of electronic tube machines is not very good and cannot be compared to transistor machines. thank you!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
:DI can distinguish with ears, no equipment testing, sorry。
Fair enough. But if you can question Amir's instruments, by the same token we can question your ears.

egellings

Major Contributor
Serge years ago said that a well designed tube amp could have extremely low distortion but then itwould sound just like a transistor amp.
My experience with valves apart from the fire hazard and inherent unreliability was the syrupy sound just awful.
Perhaps if you only listen to solo female voice but even then.
Keith
Fire hazard? I've never had a tube amp catch fire. A catastrophic failure could cause any type of amplifier to burn, regardless of amplifying device it uses.

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
I had two ( only had the brand six months) seen another start to smoke at a show, never had any failures with solid state.
Keith

LCM

Fair enough. But if you can question Amir's instruments, by the same token we can question your ears.
I suggest you take a look at Skunkie's test. You can question me, but I believe she is honest:)

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I suggest you take a look at Skunkie's test. You can question me, but I believe she is honest:)

That's a different unit. Did you not realize that?

Screenshot_20230413-110157.png

Top Bottom