• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LDAC aptx HD Support on Windows PC using Linux VM

papachigly

So first I'd like to mention I'm completely new to this having never used Linux.
My goal is to get a Windows 10 laptop to transmit LDAC aptx HD codecs to a portable DAC/AMP (iFi audio GO blu) with a minimum form factor.

Having purchased the device, I was a bit naive in thinking, I just turn on bluetooth on the laptop and... HD audio!!On the device is says "Classic aptx" on any file source.
So after a bit of digging, I found out about the possibility of using a Linux virtual machine plus an external Bluetooth transmitter (like a thumb drive) to gain access to the better Bluetooth codecs out there. The problem is my total lack of experience and the amount of info out there leads me to post this, in hope of some help understanding what to do or a link to some sort of guide

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Shanking M0 or FIIO BTA50 are far easier options for this. I know the Linux VM option is free, but unless learning Linux is of interest to you your time is probably much more valuable than the $100ish you'll spend to just plug and play.

I haven't worked with that type of hypervisor in some time, but USB passthrough compatibility strikes me as your biggest obstacle.

OP
papachigly

papachigly

Shanking M0 or FIIO BTA50 are far easier options for this. I know the Linux VM option is free, but unless learning Linux is of interest to you your time is probably much more valuable than the $100ish you'll spend to just plug and play.

I haven't worked with that type of hypervisor in some time, but USB passthrough compatibility strikes me as your biggest obstacle.
Thank you for the input. I feel you maybe right about learning Linux. I was also considering just using a transmitter like 'mii b03 pro 70m'. It might be a better option.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
LDAC and aptX HD are not the same thing. LDAC is far superior to aptX HD, but it is not as widely supported. The "mii b03 pro 70m' only supports aptX HD. Unfortunately, I have never been able to find a thumb drive sized transmitter that supports LDAC, so even using Linux would not help--and there would be no reason to use Linux if you had such an adapter, as you could just plug into your laptop and you'd be good.

So as best I can tell, your options are to purchase something like this,
https://www.amazon.com/FiiO-Wireless-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Headphone/dp/B08LM68KN8/, if you want LDAC. If you are willing to settle for aptX HD, then something like https://www.amazon.com/Bluetooth-Adapter-Transmitter-Latency-Headphone/dp/B083TD9VW4/ will work.

OP
papachigly

papachigly

@Walter Thank you for the info and pointing out that the mii b03 pro doesn't support LDAC.
So at this stage, focusing on a decent transmitter which supports LDAC as well as aptx ll (for watching movies) seems like my priority. The FiiO BTA30 isn't available in my country (needs to be bought from within).
Referring to @tifune suggestion of Shanling MO - I believe it doesn't transmit aptx LL. Also Fiio M5 in similar vein doesn't support aptx LL.

Walter

Yeah, it is difficult. LDAC is a Sony protocol, and for whatever reason it has received far less adoption then the various Qualcomm aptX versions. Maybe licensing fees or terms.

mugbot

Forum Donor
As far as I am aware there are not any small transmitters that can send APTX HD, LL and LDAC.
You may need to choose a winner from among those codecs.

Notably - some video playing software can delay the picture to accommodate a delay introduced by the bluetooth audio, meaning you could use LDAC/APTX HD instead of the lower latency (and notably lower quality) APTX LL.

There's also APTX adaptive in the mix now too, which sounds promising - but I haven't had a play around with it yet.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Yeah, it is difficult. LDAC is a Sony protocol, and for whatever reason it has received far less adoption then the various Qualcomm aptX versions. Maybe licensing fees or terms.
Terms for sure. They actually document that it could take months to get an LDAC license!

Walter

Terms for sure. They actually document that it could take months to get an LDAC license!
Well, that explains a lot! Thanks for the info--yet another reason to eagerly await the new supposedly lossless aptX codec.

Walter

There's also APTX adaptive in the mix now too, which sounds promising - but I haven't had a play around with it yet.
I was disappointed to read that in maxes out at about 80% of the aptX HD data rate.

Top Bottom