• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lcd2 classic closed?

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I'm thinking about picking these up. They seem pretty good for closed headphones. Anyone have any experiences or advice for a nice closed pair of cans?

OP
S

ShiZo

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I need the best closed can I can find. It also needs to not leak sound a shitload. A little is fine though.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Ha-ha !!! The Original Pioneer coconuts, what else !!! :p

I think the Fostex are prettier coconuts

8t0KSV7nyqg.jpg

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All the Fostex clones leak quite a bit and have very little isolation.

Audeze's earlier closed 'phone like the LCD-XC and EL-8 closed were terrible with plainly audible cup resonances. I haven't heard the LCD-2 Classic closed though, could be better...

If you want a planar, check out the Aeon closed form MrSpeakers. They're much better sounding than any closed Audeze I've heard. They're a bit brighter though which may not be your cup of tea if you prefer the Audeze house sound.

Headphonaholic

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a couple of nice closed back models and would recommend both, subject to one caveat.

The Beyerdynamic T5P 2 gen, I think this has had some mixed reviews and given the SRP some of the materials feel slightly low rent however despite that they have a nice quality feel and sound terrific to my ears. Very rich bass, almost to earthquake levels if necessary but they're not bass heavy and it remains very controlled. They are quite bright in the higher end but I like the sound. Very easy to drive, you can drive them perfectly well from the headphone output of a typical smart device. They come with a 5 year manufacturer warranty too.

The Sony MDR-Z7, these have just been replaced. The build quality and materials are superb and shame headphones costing an awful lot more than these. There is a feeling of quality about them that is rare at any price. I love the sound, again the reception for these appeared to be somewhat mixed, and they seem to be a little polarising. They do have a more pronounced bass and are a bit bassy, but not unpleasantly so and whilst probably less like the sort of sound most better headphones seek they are nevertheless hugely enjoyable (to me anyway).

Both have removable cables, and can be used balanced simply by connecting balanced cables.

The caveat is price. I got both way below SRP. The T5Ps were £399 as "B" stock from the UK distributor. My impression is they were described as "B" stock to shift excess stock without damaging future value as they were still sealed and there was no damage or degradation to the packaging let alone the still sealed and factory wrapped contents. Similarly I paid a lot less than SRP for the Sony's (about £300 I think), at the prices I paid both models were good value and I'd recommend 100%. If I had to pay full SRP it'd be harder to offer such an unequivocal recommendation (especially for the Beyerdynamics as their SRP is very expensive IMO).

graz_lag

Major Contributor

Veri

Master Contributor
The page says : Note: This drop is limited to 270 units ... 430 USERS HAVE REQUESTED THIS PRODUCT ...

How does it work ? OK, I do not know what the average rate "requests/confirmations" is ... (which can probably vary sensibly with regards to the item being dropped)
It's a recent September drop and they haven't even shipped their first batch.

Also, not guaranteed to redrop if it was made from overstock from previous product line, for example.

Headphonaholic

The page says : Note: This drop is limited to 270 units ... 430 USERS HAVE REQUESTED THIS PRODUCT ...

How does it work ? OK, I do not know what the average rate "requests/confirmations" is ... (which can probably vary sensibly with regards to the item being dropped)
Yes as Veri says that was the limit on the first drop. I'm not 100% sure it fully sold. I joined somewhere around the 35th person to join it. Not everyone has $900 to throw down on a pair of headphones. While expensive, MrSpeakers is producing in my opinion the best headphones on the market due to amazing sound and the best build quality. But they're very expensive so hard to recommend to everyone.

Also, not guaranteed to redrop if it was made from overstock from previous product line, for example
This is a very good point. With the Ether 2 out, open back only at this point, they might be changing gears to make a new closed back model. In that regards, they might not do repeat drops. It's also note worthy that this Massdrop Ether doesn't have the flow upgrade either.

Top Bottom