• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lavry Gold Savitr (new A/D standalone)

pozz

Слава Україні
Forum Donor
Editor
I have no reason to doubt the specs, given the company's history. Lavry gear is way too expensive though. And that gold plating is gaudy.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The specs aren't much different than Lavry had a decade ago. Certainly quite good. I agree with pozz the pricing is too high.

OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor

shal

I am happy with my Lavry DA11
I certainly cannot ear difference with other good Dac.
But it fit all my requirements :
- good volume control (<0.1db error)
- balanced or unbalanced
- usb or aes or spdif (and with USB standard UAC2)
- no big poc (a little poc on on off but acceptable) even when abruptly power off
- reliable
- internal power

On used item, you can found it for good price (mine <300€) .

zanzibar

http://www.lavryengineering.com/products/pro-audio/savitr.html Specs are overall quite good. Shows some rising distortion with frequency but that's not too surprising, and the specs are quite solid overall.

A thinking man's product made in the USA. I had a Lavry DAC, the DA10 and it was an excellent performer.
The engineering is top notch.

This alone puts it in a class all its own. I would love to hear this in my big rig today.

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
A thinking man's product made in the USA. I had a Lavry DAC, the DA10 and it was an excellent performer.
The engineering is top notch.

This alone puts it in a class all its own. I would love to hear this in my big rig today.

I'm not seeing what I get for $8100 compared to my $2000 RME ADI-2 Pro.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a studio/mastering tool.
The right question is "how many DA / AD conversion before hearing a difference".
I think with the right gear the answer is more than 8 conversions. How many is enough?

Here are two threads where I did 8 generations of AD/DA and you can download the results and listen for yourself.

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...dac-loop-vs-the-original-can-you-hear-it.448/

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-choose-the-8th-generation-digital-copy.6827/

I didn't have Lavry gear, but wish I did.

Last edited:
OP
D

dfuller

Major Contributor
The soft clipping on these is supposedly excellent for increasing loudness fairly transparently, which as I understand it is why MEs pay the big bucks for these.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The soft clipping on these is supposedly excellent for increasing loudness fairly transparently, which as I understand it is why MEs pay the big bucks for these.
From one of the Lavry manuals. I was not aware they did analog tape simulation for clipping .

The MXis a redesign of the MKIII, with the additional feature of increased ability to handle clipping of the audio signal without apparent loss of signal quality. In the quest to achieve the elevated levels common in pop music; Mastering engineers as well as Mix engineers can utilize clipping as a means of dynamic range control without the down-side of attack and release times associated with compressors and limiters.Although the MkIII model already had a reputation for “clean clipping,” the MX model extends the useful range of clipping to even higher levels.The MX model retains the Lavry exclusive Soft Saturation modes which increase the level below the saturation threshold by a selectable 3 or 6db. Audio signals above the threshold are processed by an emulation of analog tape saturation without artifacts associated with attack and release times.In combination with the improved handling of clipping level signals, the AD122-96MX offers more options for hotter recording levels than other converters.Because the difference between the MkIII and MX models did not require changes to the converter’s software, the MX model will display “Ver2.1e”©2000dB tech, AD122-96MkII”in the initialization screen of the LCD display

zanzibar

I don't see it either. But maybe it's a more natural and larger soundstage you'd hear?
Not seeing the prices on their page: http://www.lavryengineering.com/products.html

See there's the DA-11 on the page and I know that one and others are far more likely in the same price ballpark as the RME.
Some might see the engineering differences as more analogue. That's a personal taste thing. I have had a nice Lavry DAC but would love to hear the RME in my current big rig.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ahhh....

Well, having several analog tape decks, I don't need no stinkin' tape emulation.... ;)
Hmmmmm, having formerly owned a few analog tape decks, with the Lavry I wouldn't need no stinkin' tape decks.

bennetng

Major Contributor
Ahhh....

Well, having several analog tape decks, I don't need no stinkin' tape emulation.... ;)
Don't know if they also emulate different tape formulae and speeds or not. Perhaps different splicing tapes and different cutting angles also change the sound...;)

Honestly, if I can choose something as a gift but cannot resell it, I may choose something like hardware accelerated Pro Tools HDX or Apollo X16, at least I can have some DSP to play with.

Top Bottom