• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Latest Guttenberg Video talks about measurements

Angsty

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’d go see Amir talk near my town. I probably would not fly to AXPona and hear Amir talk there. So Steve may have a point with the caveat of “a room like this”.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
he doesn't think the "unnamed person" he is talking about could fill a room like this.

What an odd thing for him to say. He does enjoy his devoted 'following' doesn't he.

And Amir is supposed to be the cult leader?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Amir will never be a good cult leader, he regularly upsets large swathes of the forum with his measurements.

Sgt. Ear Ache

Major Contributor
there is even a challenge laid down - that he doesn't think the "unnamed person" he is talking about could fill a room like this.

Uhhh...what a weird thing to say. Apparently Steve G feels that being a person who reviews audio gear is some sort of popularity contest. Working hard at doing whatever is required to put asses in seats are you Steve?

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What an odd thing for him to say. He does enjoy his devoted 'following' doesn't he.

And Amir is supposed to be the cult leader?
Out of context yes.

I just listened to that few minutes of the video and I think he was simply making one of those off handed remarks that we all might make from time to time. I don't think it was a John Lennon "Jesus moment".

tesseractASR

I’d go see Amir talk near my town. I probably would not fly to AXPona and hear Amir talk there. So Steve may have a point with the caveat of “a room like this”.
I can't imagine anyone flew there to attend Steve's talk.

If the two of them were to speak, Amir would pull in supporters AND detractors. Steve's detractors simply would not show up to his talk, I suspect.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I have thought about giving a talk at such a show. Maybe I will do that next year.

I don't know how many people will come. I do know that what Steve said was quite arrogant and unprofessional. He can't say my name? Why?

But sure, I will accept his challenge! :)

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have thought about giving a talk at such a show. Maybe I will do that next year.

I don't know how many people will come. I do know that what Steve said was quite arrogant and unprofessional. He can't say my name? Why?

But sure, I will accept his challenge! :)
I think that would be great!

There are so many people buying audio gear who have not taken the time to think about the logic behind power conditioners, the order of magnitude difference between best/worst electronics and best/worst loudspeakers, and so much that is common knowledge here. Exposure to a thoughtful discussion on the importance of measurements and which measurements are the most meaningful could change the hobby for many.

It would be great if it started a wider conversation within the hobby.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The challenge with giving such a talk at Axpona is that it would upset at least half the exhibitors if not more. This is the reason I have not reached out to the organizers about this.

Mr. Widget

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The challenge with giving such a talk at Axpona is that it would upset at least half the exhibitors if not more. This is the reason I have not reached out to the organizers about this.
I imagine most show promoters will welcome free relevant programming, but you are right, it can't be too controversial. I think picking the right topic will be key.

If the topic is demonstrating how useless the snake oil in our industry is, that will be a no go. If you give a talk about using Klippel and the importance of off axis frequency response or give a talk on headphone measurements I bet they would be very receptive.

I would think the goal should be to start small and perhaps you and others could make it a regular event and over time the objectivists could spread their knowledge.

GXAlan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you give a talk about using Klippel and the importance of off axis frequency response or give a talk on headphone measurements I bet they would be very receptive.

I would think the goal should be to start small and perhaps you and others could make it a regular event and over time the objectivists could spread their knowledge.

I think the best start is tweaks.

How do you use the Klippel to help you understand
1) toe in or not? Gets into off vs on axis..
2) how EQ is easy or hard depending on on and off axis

And then teach about why room correction and EQ are not a bad thing but also not a panacea.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Oh man, it would be so great though!

Just as some antidote to the prevailing pseudo-scientific attitudes. You are so great at explaining not only the technical aspects, but how our biases and perception work, which lead to the dubious impressions many audiophiles take for granted.

posvibes

If Amir was to keep it real tight, Topping DAC/solid state amplifier/Denon Receiver for instance because of trust and relationships already formed to close down the nonsense stuff , less controversy easier for the message to get through.

HarmonicTHD

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Personally I wouldn’t bother. The challenge is childish to begin with. You are reaching much more people more effectively with this website / forum and your videos. I’d say focus on that. (… and if there must be a contest … I bet the traffic on this forum easily outnumbers Stevie’s traffic).

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Hard to believe any organizer would be happy to have a famous objectivist giving a talk at their show. I would imagine the manufacturers would be enraged when people come in asking for measurements, even just for curiosity's sake, and they don't have any or don't want to show them after somebody has just been telling people about how a good speaker measures.

"Oh, you are selling 100k speaker and don't have a Klippel? And don't have measurements at all to show? Huh, that sounds weird, not that I believe the measurements are everything, but still, kinda odd..."

Purité Audio

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Barrowmaster
Forum Donor
Good enough reason then!
Best,
Keith

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Personally I wouldn’t bother. The challenge is childish to begin with. You are reaching much more people more effectively with this website / forum and your videos. I’d say focus on that. (… and if there must be a contest … I bet the traffic on this forum easily outnumbers Stevie’s traffic).

I'd say the idea that there was a challenge is childish to begin with. But otherwise I'd agree the ASR forum is the more effective communication platform.

Edit: I may be a bit biased, I've never actually been to an audio show. And probably wouldn't, at least in Oz or the US: very old/white/male. Might go if I was in Europe, they look a bit better there.

Last edited:

Axo1989

Major Contributor
A guy who listens to EDM and has not used a subwoofer until recently does not strike me as the great conosseur he thinks he is.

I missed this back in Feb but have to agree with @MattHooper that the music JD likes is pretty enjoyable on the range of speakers and headphones he's used and demonstrated. Also, he lives in an apartment.

But connoisseur? His modern musical knowledge is pretty extensive. I go to his stuff as much for the music recommendations as anything. HIs tastes don't lean heavily into stuff with sub-bass necessarily, now that I think about it. Less so than my tastes I reckon.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Inclined to agree plus you'd just be preaching to the converted. Audiophiles wouldn't attend it - except maybe a few who've been on the booze at lunchtime might turn up to heckle.

I mean who here would spend an hour to see Steve G talk? Seems pleasant enough but it's not like he has anything useful to impart.

I'd go and see Fremer though because he's funny.

OP
Jeromeof

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well you see people like Sean Olive attend and talk at these type of industry shows and I believe he mostly receives a tremendous amount of respect. I would imagine Amir would get a respectful audience and I think with the right type of presentation (maybe focusing on the 20+ years of research and the testing techniques and hardware ) would get a number of converts or at least get people who only currently read subjective magazine reviews and watch online reviewers to also "check out what the measurements say" before purchasing something.

Top Bottom