• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LASIK/SMILE in mid 40s

jae

Major Contributor
I had a number of ophthalmologist colleagues and have considered the surgery numerous times myself but have ultimately considered not doing it, although I am much younger than 40. From what I've heard from them and in my own research as well, many "good" or "responsible" ophthalmologists rarely consider doing the surgery to those 40+ for a number of reasons. Most surgeons will not even operate if your vision has not been stable for a number of years and you are able to demonstrate that your eyes are otherwise healthy and pass tear-film breakup tests (which also get harder to pass with age). Getting ICL or getting IOLs (as your would for cataracts) "early" is another possible option, even if you do not have any significant opacities or a cataractous lens yet. If you are not a contact lens user that is also a potential thing you can try, it is more freeing in some ways but also have their own limitations.

One thing to also consider is that any refractive surgery has the potential to add significant high order aberrations to your vision. It can also significantly affect vision in low lighting conditions and make night myopia worse versus glasses/contacts (could be a problem for driving) even if your day vision appears much improved. They are able to minimise this to an extent with modern techniques and wavefront imaging but it does not affect everyone the same as there is also a neurological component to how we process and deal with visual aberrations, and possible side effects include seeing persistent glare, halos, and so on, and the potential side effects and difficulty to adjust to these only gets harder with age. If you are already starting to notice your vision is getting worse or presbyopia is kicking in, that is possible indicator you might not be a good candidate. Another overlooked side effect are issues with dry eye due to the incision going into a plane that potentially damages the nerve plexus in that area (SMILE specifically is a bit less risky for this, but it can still occur- and there are some other disadvantages to smile). "Dry eye" perhaps does not seem that bad when you say it out loud but it can be extremely debilitating and cause even further eye and vision problems down the line and may require multiple drugs and eyedrops you need to take for the rest of your life to cope with. Not to scare you away, but just wanted to mention it because many of these side effects are perhaps mentioned but their lifelong implications are not well explained or even understood by many professionals that perform dozens, even approaching a hundreds of these procedures a week. If you are one of the unlucky ones to get these problems it will be something you should be prepared to have to live with for life, and it can change your life to varying degrees, even if you get cataract surgery and still need to use glasses later on.

One of the biggest reasons I did not the the surgery personally is because I am already suffering from a number of other eye problems including fairly bad chronic dry eye disease, problems with my cornea and impairment from high order aberrations (unrelated to any surgery), and they are already so debilitating enough for me to not even consider making them worse just to be free of glasses/contacts. So I already have a taste of the potential side effects from refractive surgery albeit from from other condition(s) and absolutely do not want more of it. But like anything understand that side effects can also be fairly minimal and there are many millions of people that are perfectly happy with the procedure and it makes their life much better. Or the change to their vision is worth some other inconvenience if they do get side effects. But, be aware there are hidden minority of patients that have greatly regretted the procedure and I've even heard a number of accounts of those who were suicidal and have even taken their own life because they could not cope with the visual disturbances of the side effects. Problems may not manifest themselves immediately but could get exacerbated by age and other unforseen conditions. You only have one pair of eyes and vision is the most critical of all human senses.

My general advice to anyone doing any sort of elective surgery like this is of course to get second or third opinions and do your due diligence, even if it is to the point of playing devils advocate to dissuade yourself from getting it despite really wanting to get it. Ask your professional hard questions, what kind of success rates they encounter in their own practice, ask for explicit details of side effects and what are the treatment options and prognosis is for them and so on, do not allow any doctor to handwave these. My advice to you is to search up pictures of what high order aberrations look like, what bad night myopia, halos and starbursts can look like (especially at night). Search forums like reddit for stories of people talking about their LASIK side effects or bad LASIK experiences, search reddit for people talking about managing chronic dry eye symptoms, what their day to day struggles are like and so on. Good experiences may outnumber the bad, but just be aware of them. I personally know spectacle-wearing ophthalmologists who won't even take the risk to have a trusted friend and colleague perform this surgery on them for many of these reasons, yet have performed the procedure many hundreds or even thousands of times themselves. In the case of genuine cataracts, surgery is more or less a no-brainer because virtually every potential side effect is more desirable to the alternative of being fully or partially blind. But if your quality is life and state of vision OK now, the "juice may not be worth the squeeze". An IOL is a likely thing you may need a bit later in life and LASIK has the potential to affect the quality of that too. Or maybe LASIK could be the best thing that ever happened to you and you should have got it 15 years sooner :)

Last edited:
OP
Kachda

Kachda

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks everyone for your input. I decided against getting lasik. I can see well enough with glasses and since I’ve been wearing them for so long I don’t really mind them in daily use.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In junior high I had an ophthalmologist tell me he did not know how I could tell the boys from the girls. I had severe myopia. I wore glasses until I was 18 when I switched to extended wear contacts. I wore them for about 35 years when I found myself wearing reading glasses with my contacts. I work at a computer all day every day and decided to switch back to glasses for distance which allowed me to ditch the readers. Now 11 years later my prescription improves slightly every year and I still don't need readers and likely never will. My eyes have improved to the point where I can watch tv without glasses although I still wear them to see it clearly.

I never got LASIK because of the numerous stories from friends of them seeing star filter like effects around lights at night after LASIK. That would bug the crap out of me. I like what someone else said, glasses are cool fashion accessories today, unlike when I was younger and four-eyes was a common taunt. I love my glasses and prescription sunglasses. I go to an optometrist for the prescription and buy my glasses cheap from Zenni. I recently found a cheap pair of sunglasses I liked and had LensDirect make a set of prescription lenses for them; they turned out great.

Martin

Last edited:

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
I tried soft contacts for a while, and tolerated them well, but found I missed the "protection" afforded by a simple pair of lenses hung on my face.

My oldest frames (titanium) from 22 years ago are relensed for around the house and taking a TV nap, a pair of polarized sunglasses (plastic frame) for outdoors, and a pair (new titanium frames) with the lenses that darken in sunlight ("Transistions, I think it is called now) for when I expect to be in and out, and in my glider, which already has a smoke gray canopy.

Flew one with a clear canopy recently (while making some repairs to mine), could barely see the flight software on the phone and could really feel the sun on my skin. Glad to have mine back in the air.

1684164232343.png

Yes, that's me in the nose of that thing.

It's nice when under the clouds in the much cooler air than on the ground, out of the sun, too.

No motor, no problem. Longest flight 5hr 20min.

Soaring thread...

Last edited:

Philbo King

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I too have heard that LASIK complicates later cataract surgery. Anecdotal...

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Ow, btw, something some of you may benefit from are night contacts: You only have to wear them at night, and then during the day your good vision is good. I have no idea how it works, but a colleague of mine had them and it does indeed work. Obviously it’s not for everyone.

Top Bottom