• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lars Roon Bridge/Server Build on a Budget Thread

D

Deleted member 65

Second child moving out of home, only one remaining at home now.

I'll convert his old room into a second music room/library. Since I already have Roon Core installed in primary listening room I'll build a Roon Bridge on a budget using an existing AMD / Linux PC I have, a few years old but I think it can do the bridge job.

1. Case - Since Amir used the Streacom case I decided to try the HDPlex H5 fanless case:
37515762102_c162d9775b_o.jpg

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Za963w] HDPlex%20package_zpslkesodv6(1) by Lars Strömberg, on Flickr[/URL]

2. Internals - AMD Linux PC not used anymore will be used as donor of internals.

AMD%20Donor%20PC_zps748750xc.jpg

a>

Last edited by a moderator:

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Second child to moving out of home, only one remaining at home now.

I'll convert his old room into a second music room/library. Since I already have Roon Core installed in primary listening room I'll build a Roon Bridge on a budget using an existing AMD / Linux PC I have, a few years old but I think it can do the bridge job.

1. Case - Since Amir used the Streacom case I decided to try the HDPlex HD5 fanless case:

HDPlex%20package_zpslkesodv6.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

2. Internals - AMD Linux PC not used anymore will be used as donor of internals.

AMD%20Donor%20PC_zps748750xc.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]
Careful they Yeo Yeo back and forth some times.. Well maybe not if their room is full of hifi gubins.:D I see the what your doing there :)

OP
D

Deleted member 65

3. PSU - I have this LPS lying around unused so I'll try to see if it has enough power.

LPS_zps0r1cepgm.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 65

4. Unboxing Case - IKEA style content of case, seems appropriate for me:

Unboxing%20Case1_zpsnpozzitk.jpg

Unboxing%20Case2_zpssolullum.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 65

5. Internals of Donor PC to be used: Gigabyte GA-880GA-UD3H ATX MB, AMD Athlon II X4, Samsung 256GB SSD, 12MB mem. Thats what I'll be stripping from the donor.

Internals%20Donor%20PC_zpstsxyj7kt.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 65

No progress for the last couple of weeks due to prep of son moving out of our home. We have this "get rid of children apartment" in Stockholm. Daughter moved out and son on his way in. Been renovating apartment, painting, furnishing, building new media PC for son aso.

Son opted to keep the speakers I built for him a few years ago, based on Swans B1 kit instead of the Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne's I've had in storage now for a few years. The Swan B1 clones are really good considering the investment.

Now I need to decide what to do with the EA MicroOnes, they're to big for the second music room I'm about to equip.

Sons new media setup in the apartment, note the nice paintwork ...
MediaPC far left (reused case from this build), Swans B1 clones built by me, Samsung 55" TV, Pioneer A-A6-J integrated amp (highly underrated dual mono design), Audio-Gd REF 5 (R2R DAC) & Sony PS4:

Harpsund_zpszrwq3ihe.jpg
Harpsund_zpszrwq3ihe.jpg

These parts has been harvested to be used in new Roon Bridge. Hopefully better progress moving forward.

PCParts_zpsv4pctbna.jpg
PCParts_zpsv4pctbna.jpg

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Your children are very lucky to have parents such as you!

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Been distracted in my build of the Roon Server/Bridge by requests from my youngest son moving into old room of moving out elder son.

Had to do a total renovation of the room prior him moving in & investing in new active speakers (Audio Pro on Adam Audio stands).

New oak floor, painting roof & walls, new electricity, new plumming & zinc (used to be a maidens room in the 1930's). Anyway, coming new year I'll make sure to complete build of Roon PC. Hesitating though if I shouldn't go for new Intel motherboard similar to Amir's.

Refurbished room below, note I have one more room to go before installing the Roon PC (youngest sons old room). Room currently occupied by one of our cats who's had an injury on her back leg. She's on medication now and needs to be there for at least a month according to Vet.

SAM_0997_zpsuxe9btzn.jpg
SAM_0997_zpsuxe9btzn.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Finally finished second Music room. Ready to start buildning the Roon Bridge on a budget.

Installed Evolution Acoustics MMMicroOne's after having them stored away for several years. Speakers now in new room with new DAC (iFi iDAC2), new amplifier (Onkyo A-5VL) and new player (Roon).

@dallasjustice, have to admit that the MicroOnes now really sing! Day and night experience from my previous installation, glad that my son turned them down.

SAM_1038_zpsv3n0nknx.jpg

SAM_1039_zpsxenxffl2.jpg

78gu01

p5v3d9

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
And speaking of which... @amirm did your HiFiBerry arrive in the mail yet?
Yes and so is the other commercial solution. Alas, I am deluged with projects at home and having a hard time dedicating time to them. But will do soon. :)

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Build started again. If all goes according to plan expect it to be ready by tomorrow.

SAM_1043_zpsbulhwfgr.jpg

OP
D

Deleted member 65

Bottom plate nicely marked where components should go.

SAM_1044_zpsmdzicwyo.jpg

Top Bottom