• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Larger Mini-LED TV or OLED TV For TV Upgrade?

Which TV Would You Choose?

• Total voters

luft262

The two TVs I am most interested in for my multipurpose room home theater are the 85" Samsung QN90A LED for $3,300 and the 77" LG C1 OLED TV for $2,900. As far as I can see the advantages/disadvantages of the Samsung would be having a larger screen and no chance of burn-in, whereas the LEG OLED TV would have slightly better picture quality in exchange for a smaller screen and some chance of burn-in. They cost roughly the same, but there are some savings with the LG.

Thank you for chiming in with your opinions!

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
How brite is the room and/or how much day time viewing do you do? Have my LG C8 OLED three years in a darker corner no sign of burn in. Love it.

Last edited:

fieldcar

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If you turn off the lights for watching movies, OLED. If you keep the lights on, then the LED(QLED) may actually be better due to better peak brightness. The QD-OLED is right around the corner, but it may be pricey.

Here's a video comparing the technologies:

Orrr.... consider a JVC D-ILA projector with a 120" screen, that's what I've got.

Laserjock

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
83” OLED :p

I’d say 85” LED backlit but Stop the FOMO could give you a best use case for which model.

I’m of the ilk of; no one has ever said, “man, I wish I would have got a smaller TV”…

McFly

Addicted to Fun and Learning
If TV is in a sunlit lounge and you don't do much night watching, don't get OLED.

Otherwise, get OLED

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
I'm at 75" in one location, it no longer looks that big. 65" LG OLED in another place looks nice but tiny, and I highly doubt it would work at the first location which has the rear and left wall solid with windows.

Karu

Forum Donor
Just went from 48” to 65” (C1 oled) a month ago and the thing still feels huge. In a good way. Go bigger, I guess

OP
luft262

luft262

@luft262 What did you decide? Did you get anything?
Sorry, I should have posted something, but I was waiting until I got everything set up the way I wanted. I went with the 85" Samsung QN90A QLED. I couldn't bring myself to spend 5K on the 83" LG or Sony OLED. That left the LG 77" OLED or 85" QLED. After a lot of research and contemplation I decided that there is no replacement for size. My wall could fit up to a 100" TV, but the cheapest 100" TV I could find was a TCL (mid-range) panel for 10K. The QN90A is also available in 98", but it's 15K. Going above 85" is like going of a cliff in price! The 85" QN90A is $3,300 and the 98" is 15K...crazy huh! I thought about an upfiring projector, but my room has a lot of windows and we use the TV during the day or with the lights on probably 40 to 50% of the time. IMHO a projector is a better option in a dedicated theater room that can always get dark.

So even after everything I was down to a 77" OLED vs an 85" QLED and I decided that although the OLED is a slightly better panel, IMHO the advantages could not make up for the size difference. Our living room opens into the kitchen and I/we spend a decent amount of time watching TV from the kitchen as well and the larger screen is more visible from 30 to 35 feet away. (our living room seated position is 9 to 10 feet from the TV)

I've never owned an OLED TV and I don't have any friends who have one, so I can't give you a good direct comparison. When I bought our previous TV 5 + years ago I had to choose between a 55" OLED for 2K or a 60" QLED for $1,200 (that was the largest size that would fit in our TV entertainment center at the time, before we got rid of it). I went for the QLED for increased size and savings and I did the same thing this time. I've only seen OLED TVs in stores and read about them online. In my 20 years of TV buying history (I'm 36) I've owned a 28" CRT, 32" HD CRT, 47" Vizio HD LED, 55" Insignia Roku HD, 60" Samsung 4K HDR (edge lit), and I installed a 75" Vizio 4K HDR (full array) LED at my inlaws. Of all of those TVs the 85" QN90A is clearly the best, but that's to be expected as its bigger, newer, and has a full mini-LED backlighting array.

I think Samsung is in a strong position to compete against OLED with their QLED panels, because the consumer will always have to choose between a larger QLED display or saving money. The FOMO YouTube channel another user posted above really helped in my decision as well as the video below. In the video below they compare the Samsung QLED to the Sony OLED and the two are pretty similar.

I guess IMHO if you have a very large budget you're going to get either the Sony or LG 83" OLED TV, assuming your room can accomodate that large of a TV. If you have enough money and space to have a dedicated theater room then you'll probably get a projector instead of getting a 100" TV.

If I had to give a simple guide to TV buying IMHO it would be this.

Can your room fit an 85" screen or larger? If yes, and your room is not a dedicated theater room that can always get dark, get the best 85" TV you can afford. If it can always get dark and you can go larger than 85" consider a projector

If your room can't fit an 85" TV then get the largest and best TV you can afford.

My TV preference without considering price would be 1. Sony OLED, 2. LG OLED, 3. Samsung QLED

Within the limitations of budget, panel size etc. I chose the Samsung QN90A 85" and it looks great!

P.S. I drilled holes and fitted grommets to hide the wires, but I didn't have the wire snake tool yet at the time and couldn't get the wires past the insulation. I now have the snake tool and when I get a free day I'm going to hide the wires behind the wall. I'll send an updated picture at that time.

Thank you for your help/information and I hope this post might help someone else in their TV buying decision making process.

Attachments

• PXL_20220219_232635562.jpg
    PXL_20220219_232635562.jpg
    247.2 KB · Views: 399
  • PXL_20220219_232626474.jpg
    PXL_20220219_232626474.jpg
    183.8 KB · Views: 406
  • PXL_20220219_232647852.jpg
    PXL_20220219_232647852.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 397

garbulky

Major Contributor
I was going to vote OLED, but I hear ya on sheer size. Me, I was hoping Mini-LED will be the hybrid that finally dethrones OLED. Unfortunately, based on my showroom experiences, it was not to be so. The OLED still retained the black level ability to my eyes. I did think Mini-LED was substantially better than the old LED Tvs which I think is it's real stregnth. The mini-led's I saw several months ago were all quite high priced, so I'm not sure if the price advantage has made it through yet, but hopefully it has.

munor75

While Mini LEDs do improve upon standard LED technology, it doesn't match the complete overall that OLED offers. That said, OLED TVs are generally more expensive, and those looking for the best 8K TV will find a greater selection in Mini LED than they will with OLED.

Steve_404

I understand that you're considering between an 85" Samsung QN90A LED and a 77" LG C1 OLED TV, both roughly costing the same.

It really comes down to what you value more in a TV. If you prioritize a larger screen, then the Samsung QN90A LED might be the way to go. On the other hand, if you value picture quality and are willing to trade off some screen size, then the LG C1 OLED TV might be the better choice for you.

One thing to keep in mind with the OLED TV is that there is a small chance of burn-in, so make sure you're comfortable with that risk. Also, I would recommend looking into different brands and models to see if there are any other options that might suit your needs better.

munor75

While Mini LEDs do improve upon standard LED technology, it doesn't match the complete overall that OLED offers. That said, OLED TVs are generally more expensive, and those looking for this best 8K TV will find a greater selection in Mini LED than they will with OLED.
Also, If you want the best-looking TV image that money can buy, choose an OLED TV.

Top Bottom