• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Large midwoofers

Is there any scientific reason most modern speakers use 4-6.5 in woofers? Aesthetically, I really like speakers with large woofers in the 10-15 in range, like the new tannoy Legacy series. Can anyone comment on the characteristics, pros, cons of large woofers?

bigx5murf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Pros, low end... Cons have to be crossed over lower, so more suited for 3way use.

Last edited:

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Are we talking about bookshelf or floor-standing/tower speakers?

OP
Q
I'm thinking either one, but I'm referring to mid-range drivers that play from around 800-1200 hz and down. I'm curious about the differences between smaller and larger woofers in the frequency range where they are both fairly flat, around 60-1000 hz.

NTomokawa

Forum Donor
Well, larger woofers generally have more bass extension/output, since physics dictates that one needs to move more air to get more bass.

The trade-off is that in general, the larger a driver unit is (a woofer/midwoofer in this case), the heavier it is, which means it has poorer high-frequency response. Since bookshelf speakers are more-or-less size-restricted, woofer calibre usually doesn't go above 8 inches. Floor-standing speakers have less size restrictions, which is where one begins to see 10/12/15 inch woofers.

Of course, given the high-frequency response issue, woofers that large all but require a dedicated midrange driver, which creates a three-way (or more) speaker system. That's where one gets into the whole enclosure and crossover science. Deep magic indeed...

Top Bottom