• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LAN Isolators - The Next Digital Tweak

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
These have apparently been around for a few years, but I've recently seen some traction in interest at some other boards:

https://www.pinkfaun.com/index.php/products/streaming-audio/pink-faun-lan-isolator-rj45.html

http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/acousticrevive3/1.html (apparently been around since 2012)

Thoughts so far:

1. Hmmm, I have WiFi...which is actually a LAN, too. But these are specific to Ethernet.

2. They the Acoustic Review 3 claims to do transformer isolation....but I thought Ethernet was already isolated?

3. The Pink Faun claims galvanic isolation for 'audio and video'. Is there a difference between audio & video for some reason? And, again, isn't ethernet already isolated? Why do I even need galvanic isolation for Cat 5 cable?

March Audio

Master Contributor
Audio Company
2. It is and 3. You don't it is already :) Its part of the spec. Ground connection over seperate bits of kit over long distances can cause currents to flow and cause issues.
images (6).jpeg

download.jpeg

Last edited:

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This device is hilariously redundant.

Since ethernet supports very long runs, both end are isolated by transformers to prevent ground offset from destroying computers or electrocuting the user.

I wonder if its transformers are even up to spec? I'd love to see what it does to speed. Won't even need to send it to Amir or anything. If you have recent Intel NIC you've already got everything you need to test an ethernet cable.

BiGwbZJ.png

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
This device is hilariously redundant.

Since ethernet supports very long runs, both end are isolated by transformers to prevent ground offset from destroying computers or electrocuting the user.

I wonder if its transformers are even up to spec? I'd love to see what it does to speed. Won't even need to send it to Amir or anything. If you have recent Intel NIC you've already got everything you need to test an ethernet cable.

BiGwbZJ.png

I mean...

"Ha! The change in sound was immediate and explicit. It was bigger than going from coaxial S/PDIF to HS-Link. The Acoustic Revive transferred incomparably more information about the room and extra-musical elements, so much so that it seemed I was listening to a completely different device."

...it's clearly superior to the thing that really matters, the way it sounds, no matter what your specifications say it should or shouldn't be, because they were written by people who have beavers in their ears.

il_340x270.1096592090_lnbt.jpg

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Come on guys, try and keep up.

The spec may call for transformers, but they aren't AUDIOPHILE grade transformers.

Ditto for galvanic isolation.

You don't think specialty audiophile ethernet product producers are just raising the price and saying stuff do you?

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Come on guys, try and keep up.

The spec may call for transformers, but they aren't AUDIOPHILE grade transformers.

Ditto for galvanic isolation.

You don't think specialty audiophile ethernet product producers are just raising the price and saying stuff do you?

If they had Alnico transformers I'd pay a lot more.

Or silver.

Or maybe some combo. Yeah, that would be sweet to have silver-wired Ethernet with Alnico magnet transformers.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It's like hearing music for the first time, it lifts a veil and adds rhythm, pace and slam, but to really realise its potential I recommend ripping out the internal wiring and replacing the wiring with a 22 carat gold bus arrangement and replacing the casing with one milled from a billet of beryllium wrapped in carbon fibre, and it goes without saying that you really must use it with an upgraded audiophile sub-station so as to feed audiophile grade electrons to your home. The difference will amaze you and reveal details you've never heard before.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Years ago a guy was in a store I worked trying to sell outrageously expensive gold wires to go from the cartridge to the tonearm. This was the 80's and he wanted something like $500 for a set of four, one-inch or so tiny gold wires. He claimed gold was the best conductor you could use. I pointed out that copper and silver were more conductive, gold was soft and would break easily, and what about the rest of the wires from tonearm to preamp? I did not buy his "But it's the first wire the cartridge sees and that makes all the difference!" argument and mentioned KCL and KVL (Kirchhoff's current and voltage laws). He became rather vexed. We did not pick up his product line...

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Years ago a guy was in a store I worked trying to sell outrageously expensive gold wires to go from the cartridge to the tonearm. This was the 80's and he wanted something like $500 for a set of four, one-inch or so tiny gold wires. He claimed gold was the best conductor you could use. I pointed out that copper and silver were more conductive, gold was soft and would break easily, and what about the rest of the wires from tonearm to preamp? I did not buy his "But it's the first wire the cartridge sees and that makes all the difference!" argument and mentioned KCL and KVL (Kirchhoff's current and voltage laws). He became rather vexed. We did not pick up his product line...

The old Kirchoff gambit. Nice.

JJB70

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Nothing wrong with Kirchoff's law, it is abuse by idiots which is the problem.

Blumlein 88

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
How in the world do you happen to know this?

I was aware of Kirchoff's laws, and seeing the name on a Deli stuck in my mind. So I looked on the internet and found the sign. Not really surprising.
I've yet to see a Thevenin's Deli though.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Thevenin is also the producer of some rather idiosyncratic Burgundy. The Chardonnays are notable for an unusual amount of residual sugar. As far as I know, they have no equivalent, even among hybrid grapes like Norton.

thevenin.jpg

norton.jpg

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
You guys are hilarious! And/or have too much time on your hands...

Note it is Kirchhoff, Gustav Kirchhoff, two h's if you want to be picky about it. Only mentioning it because I can't believe I actually got it right after all these years -- I usually just say KCL or KVL. :)

andymok

Addicted to Fun and Learning
How about this one lol

AQVOX modified D-Link switch by changing the internal clock

I'm sure AES67 / Ravenna's use of PTP is much more reasonable, but what do you guys think?

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I see an in-depth subjective review written here: https://www.audiophil-online.com/test/aq-switch-8-by-aqvox/.
I also found something here: http://patatorz.com/2018/08/11/optimisation-du-reseau-dans-le-cadre-de-streaming-audio/ and here http://ppaproduct.blogspot.com/ and long thread here https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/digital-source/340410-audiophile-ethernet-switch.html.

aqvox-aq-switch-8-zubehoer-hifi-40312.jpg

dlink-tcxo.jpg

Probably the TCXO was changed with a lower ppm one and the SMPS was changed with a LPSU.

I have seriously doubts that there could be any errors in the LAN transmission that couldn't get identified with a "netstat -es" command or with iperf between 2 networked devices, but I guess anyone with such a switch and an original DGS-108 could stream a 12Khz sinewave from a NAS or SAMBA server and check the jitter on a networked DAC with ARTA/REW by using both switches, then compare visually. Of course, SINAD could be measured as well...or perhaps other tests too.

I wonder if @amirm thinks that testing such an "audiophile" switch worth the trouble or not, although...not sure anyone on this forum owns such a device to send it over to your place for testing.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder if @amirm thinks that testing such an "audiophile" switch worth the trouble or not, although...not sure anyone on this forum owns such a device to send it over to your place for testing.
I am definitely interested in testing them. Not because I think they will make a difference. But to show that they can't.

Some of the previous USB cleaners and such I have tested, have actually made things worse!

So data is good either way. If someone has one that wants me to test it, do let me know.

Top Bottom