• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lamenting the lack of good quality budget A/V Preamplifier/Processors

kadajawi

Only 6 channels?
No, 7.1/5.1.2 I believe. There's another 8 wireless channels, though IIRC the maximum is 12 (between physical and wireless channels). You need to use their speakers for the wireless channels though (and only the newer models with XS in the name).

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Jup, I've already ordered on, directly after the live event on Thursday. Maybe I'm able to send it to Amir?
This Nubewrt nuXinema preAV ($900US?) seems something that I have been searching for, to handle the HDMI and eARC streams, separate from an "audio only" pre/DAC.
Unfortunately, my eyes are illiterate to do German language; even after requesting "English" version of the page.:(

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This Nubewrt nuXinema preAV ($900US?) seems something that I have been searching for, to handle the HDMI and eARC streams, separate from an "audio only" pre/DAC.
Unfortunately, my eyes are illiterate to do German language; even after requesting "English" version of the page.:(
Yes, it does support eARC.

In many ways, it looks like the box from Canton:

But with the added height channels. I still think it's expensive for what you get. Feature-wise, these things are extremely limited. I wonder how good the pre-outs are...

Roland68

Major Contributor
The Canton Box is significantly cheaper, but only has 6 physical pre outs for 5.1.
The Nubert Box has 8 physical pre outs for 5.1.2.
Both are wirelessly expandable up to 7.1.4.
Another difference is the 192 kHz/24 bit of the Nubert box to the 96 kHz/24 bit of the Canton box.
I would find a test at ASR very interesting.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
The Nubert Box has 8 physical pre outs for 5.1.2.
Both are wirelessly expandable up to 7.1.4.
But only with with the brands speakers? Or any WiSa speakers?

You can hook up other active speakers with a adapter:

Another difference is the 192 kHz/24 bit of the Nubert box to the 96 kHz/24 bit of the Canton box.
I couldn’t care less.. 48 kHz is fine :)

These small boxes would be nice to connect to a pro-audio interface and have a PC do multichannel Dirac and crossover duties.

Last edited:

withoutsuit

But only with with the brands speakers? Or any WiSa speakers?

You can hook up other active speakers with a adapter:

Only with their Speakers, no Wisa. The adapter is the stereo trx, I assume they launch a multichannel trx in the middle future. But yes, you can use the existing trx for using with any other speakers, but remember you need two of them (because the preamp supports the new multichannel trx, so you have to plug one stereo trx to preout as a sender and one to your speakers as receiver).

withoutsuit

Yes, the nuXinema. If you have questions, then ask - I can translate.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
According to the live stream, the technican said it will have very very good preouts with 4v capable. So we'll see.
Hope it is much better than the performance of the MonoPrice BlackBird @amirm reviewed few months ago.
...because the preamp supports the new multichannel trx...
Better than the MonoPrice BlackBird 3.5mm jacks for multichannel.;)
If/when fully released, the nuXinema preAV hopefully will be ready for HDMI v2.1 for future proof-ness!

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What does ARC stand for to you?
It means Advanced Room Correction or similar to me so I still don’t understand how your setup has anything to do with Room Correction. Thanks.
Anthem Room Correction? I hadn't heard of Advanced Room Correction before, but an acronym can only be as popular as it's use and Audio Return Channel is the king of the heap for that one.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Anthem Room Correction? I hadn't heard of Advanced Room Correction before, but an acronym can only be as popular as it's use and Audio Return Channel is the king of the heap for that one.
Audio Return Channel used in HDMI to pass-thru the audio back to the processor/receiver/etc. The "eARC" is the newer Enhanced version!
I just rely on the optical out from the TV (to my AVpre/pro) but connectivity is an issue and the optical is more responsive than ARC (imho).

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Audio Return Channel used in HDMI to pass-thru the audio back to the processor/receiver/etc.
Yep that one seems to be the most used for the acronym, altho the latest version is eARC (which can do lossless multich codecs, whereas ARC couldn't).

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Only with their Speakers, no Wisa. The adapter is the stereo trx, I assume they launch a multichannel trx in the middle future. But yes, you can use the existing trx for using with any other speakers, but remember you need two of them (because the preamp supports the new multichannel trx, so you have to plug one stereo trx to preout as a sender and one to your speakers as receiver).
Really? That doesn’t make sense. I would expect that you can use multiple trx’s with this thing to connect legacy speakers without needing the pre-outs.

I’m pretty sure they use WiSa internally. The RF frequency bands used match and it makes sense to use technology that already exists rather than reinventing the wheel. The 192 kHz sample rate doesn’t really match this, but that could just be a marketing gimmick, doe they use two sets of radios to double the bandwidth.

withoutsuit

Really? That doesn’t make sense. I would expect that you can use multiple trx’s with this thing to connect legacy speakers without needing the pre-outs.
Well, as I said, this TRX Standard is completely new and just evolving. They've just releases the XS8500, now the preamp, the wirelessatmosspeaker (ceiling/wall/hanging options with light) will follow soon. I'm pretty sure, that compatible TRX Receivers show up next year.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Well, as I said, this TRX Standard is completely new and just evolving. They've just releases the XS8500, now the preamp, the wirelessatmosspeaker (ceiling/wall/hanging options with light) will follow soon. I'm pretty sure, that compatible TRX Receivers show up next year.
Ah, wait, TRX is the competitor of WiSa. That makes more sense now. It looks like the stereo version is not compatible with the surround version (of what they call X-connect (surround)). Very confusing :facepalm: Let's see how it evolves...

Last edited:
Top Bottom