• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lamenting the lack of good quality budget A/V Preamplifier/Processors

Ncesar

So I got my NuXinema today, connected my two fronts to it and got massive hiss (room volume level).

I made a recording during a quiet film scene on low room volume (about one third of max volume on the NuXinema): https://we.tl/t-dnKSSXKfml
Just a recording from my mobile phone, but that's about how it sound. The hiss is constant in volume / independent of the volume setting on the NuXinema. Only disappears on "mute" setting.

I think it must be a defective unit. Or could this amount of hiss be explained by a gain mismatch with my power amps (two "Pro-Ject Amp Box DS2 Mono", no gain control, 550mV input sensitivity)?
Still have the Nuxinema? Have you solve the noise?

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Please correct me if I am wrong:
Most members [to not insult anyone by using the word 'audiophile'] don't live a musical life by "good enough".
All things being equal [usually never]; Having the option of selecting between a system set-up thru-and-thru, employing balanced+XLR analog signalling versus idem RCA... I think we'd have a unanimous voice for the former.

rynberg

Most members [to not insult anyone by using the word 'audiophile'] don't live a musical life by "good enough".
All things being equal [usually never]; Having the option of selecting between a system set-up thru-and-thru, employing balanced+XLR analog signalling versus idem RCA... I think we'd have a unanimous voice for the former.
You're wrong. First of all, there is almost no home theater equipment on the market below $15k that actually uses balanced topology internally (that assumes the Storm and Trinnov stuff is balanced, if not, then there are no equipment on the market).

The only analog cables I have in my system go from my Anthem 720 to the sub and to my Buckeye amp. Given that the receiver-to-amp cables are 2m and the cable to the sub is 5m, I don't have any noise issues. In 99% of home installations, an XLR is completely unnecessary. Why spend the money for no reason?

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Wouldn't say wrong, but I really don't particularly need balanced/xlr thru all devices/cabling. Not much of an option generally either.

Top Bottom