• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lack of hi-end speaker measurements

Eetu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Out of curiosity, what would you like to see in a $50k speaker designed objectively that isn’t available in $10k designs from Harman, Genelec, etc.?
I would like to see something like a Dutch&Dutch 8C (active/dsp/cardioid bass..) but a tower with nice wood finishes. Also more concentric/coax high end speaker options.

beeface

The hypothetical perfect >$50k speaker is an interesting topic in itself. Now that you mention it, I'd like to see something similar - an absolute end-game speaker that doesn't require separates.

An 8C or Kii 3 type approach to a nice looking floorstander that is no-fuss enough that you just put it in your living room, set it up and then forget about it.
Built-in subs.
Purifi or Hypex amps.
DSP and included mic for tuneable EQ and room correction.
Roon, Spotify, etc. support built in.
Even include HDMI eARC/CEC so you can just plug your TV into it and not mess around with another remote when you just want to watch TV.
At $50k I'm sure people might be worried about points of failure or obsolesce, so it should be easily serviceable with modular amp plates, replaceable input boards and upgradable firmware.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The hypothetical perfect >$50k speaker is an interesting topic in itself. Now that you mention it, I'd like to see something similar - an absolute end-game speaker that doesn't require separates.

An 8C or Kii 3 type approach to a nice looking floorstander that is no-fuss enough that you just put it in your living room, set it up and then forget about it.
Built-in subs.
Purifi or Hypex amps.
Even include HDMI eARC/CEC so you can just plug your TV into it and not mess around with another remote when you just want to watch TV.
At $50k I'm sure people might be worried about points of failure or obsolesce, so it should be easily serviceable with modular amp plates, replaceable input boards and upgradable firmware.
Kii with BXT come fairly close, but don't quite cost $50k. Their Hypex electronics should be serviceable in the field, though not necessarily by the customer.

dshreter

Addicted to Fun and Learning

Built-in subs.
Purifi or Hypex amps.
Yep, the home audio industry is to me badly lacking in a few areas:
  • Powered speakers
  • Electronics designed for use with powered speakers
  • Electronics designed for digital to digital connection and control

MarkS

Major Contributor
Here are a few more:
  • Main speakers designed for use with subwoofers (sealed enclosers = no resonating ports, no large phase shifts!)
  • Bass management for 2.x systems
  • DSP room correction for 2.x systems

Frgirard

Major Contributor
I would like to see something like a Dutch&Dutch 8C (active/dsp/cardioid bass..) but a tower with nice wood finishes. Also more concentric/coax high end speaker options.

The added value of dsp or cardioid is more limited.
The dsp is a CHEAP way to design a crossover.
The cardioide doesn't work under 100 Hz.

i would like to see the woofer without deformation and distortion, things are audible.

Top Bottom