• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Lack of Audioengine N22 reviews/discussions

alfarn

I've been looking at small amplifiers for nearfield listening at my desktop. The majority of what I see recommended is cheap Chi-fi class D amps, some of which measure really well here on ASR. Something like the Aiyima A07 sounds perfect for me, on paper. However, I find the lack of quality control that seems to be associated with many (most/all?) Chi-fi class D mini amps off-putting and I wouldn't mind paying a little extra for a more reliable product.

I came across the Audioengine N22, a small $200 class AB amp released in 2010 that gives 22 RMS watts per channel @ 4ohms. It has 1 input and 1 pre out for a sub, which fits my needs perfectly. Its rating distribution and reviews on Amazon and Crutchfield indicates to me that it's a pretty decent product. However, I find very little information about this amp on Reddit and ASR. How come? Could it be that it's an "old" product, a case of bad marketing, the fact that it's a class AB amp, a coincidence, or something else? I know that 22 watts is not much compared to most other amps, but do you really need much more than that for nearfield listening at moderate volumes?

OP
A

alfarn

Do you mean the Rekkr and Gjallarhorn (those are the only Schiit speaker amps that I can find with a similar price tag as the N22)? They look pretty good too, but I find the lack of volume control unfortunate. I'd rather not have a separate preamp.

Kegemusha

or this?, is more expensive, but sometimes a 2nd hand can be found:

Top Bottom