• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LA Audio Show 2017: Day 2

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Can't make it out, could you blow it up or say what the axes units are?
093A9979-2.jpg

The scale is in milliohms.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some actual cable loss/frequency response measurements: http://sound.whsites.net/cable-z.htm

cz-f21.png

"Last (in all respects) comes the Figure-8 cable, but at the equivalent of perhaps 14 gauge (US gauge numbering), one expects it to be less than impressive. Minimum level is 26.6dB at 20kHz, and maximum is around 26.91dB - a total deviation of 0.31dB. Midband level is about 26.68dB at 200Hz."

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Thanks Amir. I couldn't get my banana plugs to fit (couldn't shut the panel) and didn't have spades for my old Fulton Gold so ended up using regular old 10 AWG to the Salon2's. I have some old heavy Monster Cable (~12 AWG) to the Voice2, and more Monster Cable (~11 AWG) to the surrounds and rears. Should be good enough. The Monster Cable I got free either thrown in with another purchase or from larger spools stores were dumping when they were too small to send on an install.

The one quibble I've always had with many of the wire charts is that loss is rarely an issue; the usual issue I have measured and occasionally heard is when the overall impedance is high enough to muck with the speaker's frequency response. A lot of designs assume an ideal voltage source so the crossover moves around a bit with higher impedance. Usually not audible IME but you can measure the shift.

Top Bottom