• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LA Audio Show 2017: Day 2

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Focal, Naim
093A9970.jpg
093A9972.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Focal, Naim

Avalon by Roxy Music. https://shz.am/t218222

Sounded OK.

On my system, it sounds tubby and OK just the same. Why do exhibitors choose such music? This is not a place to play your playlist of your youth!

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The focal naim combo is a popular one in the uk, often naim is paired with proac's too. I must confess however Iv never liked any naim product and I'm not a huge focal fan either...
Focal has not stood out in my listening at shows and this was no exception.

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
Hegel. Kef blade speakers.

Seeya by Deadmau5 Feat. Colleen D'Agostino. https://shz.am/t122623729

Super dynamic track. Rattling the walls.
Proper demo track! This will show you what the system can do.
Infact I'm powering up my hifi and having a Friday night blast so thanks for the inspiration.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Elac. I went to Elac suite twice. Once without Andrew jones (what is to follow) and then on third day when he was the DJ. Huge difference! These are the new $5,000 Adante speakers from him. More on them when I cover the third day.

093A9973.jpg
093A9974.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Proper demo track! This will show you what the system can do.
Infact I'm powering up my hifi and having a Friday night blast so thanks for the inspiration.
Your note prompted me to play and "oh crap." :) Wow it sounds superb with deep and tight bass and tons of detail.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Elac Adante Speakers. Audio Alchemy electronics.

Blue Rondo A La Turk by Dave Brubeck. https://shz.am/t10257742

A bit boomy in the second row but nice otherwise.

On my system, there is no boominess. Sounds very good with nice high frequency detail, etc.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
MBL

You've Made Me So Very Happy by Blood & Sweat & Tears. https://shz.am/t389970

Mellow. OK sounding.

On my system, it sounds quite a bit more dynamic and sharper. Also a taller presentation which is a function of my taller speakers. Vocals are very focused in mine but were diffused with MBLs.

D

Deleted member 65

Your note prompted me to play and "oh crap." :) Wow it sounds superb with deep and tight bass and tons of detail.

Elac's hallmark used to be their AMT drivers, no more since Andrew Jones joined them, wonder why? Had Elacs a few years back and really enjoyed them mainly by their AMT drivers.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Elac's hallmark used to be their AMT drivers, no more since Andrew Jones joined them, wonder why? Had Elacs a few years back and really enjoyed them mainly by their AMT drivers.
There are two Elac design groups: the one that has always been there in Germany and what Andrew Jones is doing from California. There are some collaborations but for the most part, Andrew's approach is different than Elac home office.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Evolution Acoustics Speakers, darTZeel, Wave Kinetics, Durand tonearms.

This is another room that I went there on the third day for a second listen. They are prototype speakers that are much smaller than their traditional towers. They were playing everything loud as to say these speakers don't sound like small speakers. But they did sound like small speakers playing loud. :) I think they should have brought their other products to show and not keep blasting the volume on these. THey would not give pricing but I suspect it is north of $50,000.
093A9980.jpg
093A9981.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Evolution Acoustics

Sign 'O' The Times by Prince. https://shz.am/t5173113

This was on LP and sounded very nice.

On my system, it sounds warmer but in the same domain of fidelity otherwise.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Evolution Acoustics Speakers.

https://www.shazam.com/track/239119/new-sensation#referrer=shz.am

This was a bargain LP member KeithR had purchased. They did an impulse play it. Speakers are pretty inefficient. The power display on the amps would routinely go over 200 watts.

On my system, it sounds a lot more dynamic than the LP I heard there. Still mid-fi though.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
This is a showroom/static display by Kimber Kable. Got a kick out of their impedance measurement graph.

Can't make it out, could you blow it up or say what the axes units are?

Most of us probably remember the infamous (Monster Cable?) impedance charts showing a huge improvement but they did not disclose that the graph was something like 0.01 dB/div and went up to 1 MHz or something equally silly. Graphed using realistic scale there was essentially no difference.

tomelex

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
And that concludes day 2 at LA Audio show!

As always Sir, I have been having a great old time enjoying your show coverage and I appreciate you Amir.

Top Bottom