• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

LA Audio Show 2017: Day 2

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Rowland, Antipodes Audio, Verastarr Cables
093A9938.jpg
093A9939.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Rowland, Antipodes Audio, Verastarr Cables

Your Heart Is As Black As Night by Melody Gardot. https://shz.am/t47763497

Nice music but I only got there as they were switching tracks so no impression....

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Zeston Audio, Marten Speakers, Merrill-Williams Turntables, Cardas cables
Holst: The Planets, Op.32-4. Jupiter, The Bringer Of Jollity by Zubin Mehta & Los Angeles Philharmonic.

LP. Dynamic but flat sounding.

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Last edited:

Cosmik

Major Contributor
You bought some wires. Here's what you could have bought:

6164409_20170308090501425_1_LARGE.jpg

sub-buzz-29516-1494178211-4.jpg

gallery_nrm_1419173193-_mg_1000_copy.jpg

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Above was a large room and I was really interested in hearing the speakers but they were just talking and playing something uninteresting so I walked out. I think I went back on third day...

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Some of you may know from my coverage of AXPONA 2017 that I was not a fan of the sound/experience that I heard at the VSA room. The issues I identified there were room and placement issues both of which was resolved here. The room here was massive and set up lengthwise. There were two subs in the back and they said they were wired out of phase for room mode cancellation.

Speakers were pulled way into the room but the room was big enough that the seats were far enough that you didn't get the feeling the speakers were going to fall on you! :)

The sound was relaxed, very dynamic when needed and put a towering image. The images were 2 to 3 times life size though so what you get is not ordinary imaging. Some complained that imaging was diffused. I think this was a factor in addition to the fact that a large room ultimately have has higher reverberation time.

In that regard, these speakers are ideal for orchestral or other large presentation type of music. If I were a fan of classical music or opera, these would be ideal candidates. For close in, jazz and blues music, you would either like them or not depending on whether you want an intimate or bigger than life presentation.

There were no other statement products at the show. Everyone else had brought speakers half the size/height of these. So these speakers stood out in my mind as the best of the show.

I went there twice. The first day I hid in the second row due to worries of getting thrown out of the room because of my Axpona coverage. I went there on the third day and said the heck with it and introduced myself. Got an angry look still but I guess they didn't feel like throwing me out. :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Von Schweikert Speakers, VAC audio electronics, MasterBuilt cables, ASC Tube Traps
What Goes Up. by The Alan Parsons Symphonic Project. https://shz.am/t319905880

Can only find a live sample:

Lp. Lots of talking behind me. Nice relaxed sound. Typical lp flaws though with strain.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Von Schweikert Speakers, VAC audio electronics, MasterBuilt cables, ASC Tube Traps
Symphonic Dances: Non Allegro by Minnesota Orchestra. https://shz.am/t56851258

Dynamic and seemingly effortless.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

La Línea Del Sur by Renaud Garcia-Fons. https://shz.am/t70953929

Reel to Reel Tape. Superb. Lots of detail.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
The Nutcracker: "March" by Ernest Ansermet & Orchestra Of The Royal Opera House & Covent Garden. https://shz.am/t57065107

Can't find the exact preview.

Lp. Ok. Volume too low for all the talking behind me.

Top Bottom