• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

L30 alternative (Europe)?

Sombreuil

Since my L30 is on its way back to Amazon, I'm looking for an alternative.
Products I'm already aware of in the same price range:

JDS Atom (US Import)
Schiit Magni & Heresy (US Import)
Liquid Spark (Available in Europe and seems to be the best alternative)
Zen Dac (Not the best measurements I believe?)
Loxjie D30 (Available in Europe and I like the idea of a all-in-one box)
SMSL SH-8 (No measurements available IIRC and US import most likely)

What about the SMSL AD18? If I understand correctly it has a subwoofer output that I wouldn't need, would it be a good headphone amp still? The SMSL SH-8 is a balanced amp from what I understand, does it really matter and would it be possible to use it with a regular cable? O2 from Drop, I've read everything and its opposite about this product.

Thanks for the potential answers!

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

highpurityusbcable

The shipping cost of Atom, which is half the cost of an amp itself, is too sad. But it's not abnormal considering the distance. So to me there are none.

Sukie

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The shipping cost of Atom, which is half the cost of an amp itself, is too sad. But it's not abnormal considering the distance. So to me there are none.
With the recent increase in cost of the L30 you can get an Atom, even after shipping and tax, for not much more than an L30. Of course there's the issue of returning it if anything goes wrong!

highpurityusbcable

With the recent increase in cost of the L30 you can get an Atom, even after shipping and tax, for not much more than an L30. Of course there's the issue of returning it if anything goes wrong!
I got L30 for ~$127. If they will offer a full refund option in exchange for L30 snuff photos, maybe I'll just go for the Atom. If something goes wrong again I'll just sing my favorite songs myself after losing all hope.

Reactions: PSO

Sukie

Forum Donor
I got L30 for ~$127. If they will offer a full refund option in exchange for L30 snuff photos, maybe I'll just go for the Atom. If something goes wrong again I'll just sing my favorite songs myself after losing all hope.
The L30 thread seems to suggest that things are moving along nicely. The issue of headphone damage appears to be resolved with the most recently produced units. You can get the L30 in Europe, but you'd need to check with seller what the S/N is. The A50s is also available in Europe and that doesn't seem to have a problem, although it's more expensive than the L30 and more expensive than the Atom or Magni (even with import VAT and postage).

fotoalan

The L30 thread seems to suggest that things are moving along nicely. The issue of headphone damage appears to be resolved with the most recently produced units. You can get the L30 in Europe, but you'd need to check with seller what the S/N is. The A50s is also available in Europe and that doesn't seem to have a problem, although it's more expensive than the L30 and more expensive than the Atom or Magni (even with import VAT and postage).

My Topping BC3, purchased from Shenzen Audio via amazon.de, died the first time I recharged it, and Shenzen took four weeks to respond to my amazon return request. The first Topping product I ever bought and probably the last.

Sukie

Forum Donor
My Topping BC3, purchased from Shenzen Audio via amazon.de, died the first time I recharged it, and Shenzen took four weeks to respond to my amazon return request. The first Topping product I ever bought and probably the last.
That's fair enough, but Shenzen, amongst others, is responding positively on the L30 thread.

Also, I specifically stated that the L30 and the A50s are available in Europe (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/). This means they can be bought from (and returned to) a European distributor.

fotoalan

True, and amazon.de was also listing the E30 & L30 with European distribution last year, although not currently. I'm more concerned about general reliability/build quality

Veri

Master Contributor
Also, I specifically stated that the L30 and the A50s are available in Europe (https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/). This means they can be bought from (and returned to) a European distributor.
From Audiophonics:

Following a manufacturer's alert concerning the L30 Topping Product
If you have any of the L30 with a serial number starting with 2011 or less
Topping will proceed to an exchange, for this it will be necessary to send us a photo of the serial number affixed on the product, the photo must show that the product is destroyed or scratched therefore unusable. With large deep scratches on the top cover using a screwdriver for example

Please stop using this product and return it to a recycling center, so that it does not end up on the market, in particular to avoid second-hand resale.

Replacement process
Your Topping L30 must therefore :
- Be destroyed or scratched deeply on the cover, to prevent the product from being put back on the second-hand market.
- Send us a photo of the destroyed or scratched product with the serial number visible
- Please give us your delivery address so that Topping can send you a new product
Only Headphone Amplifier / Preamplifier will be returned, no accessories will be provided
Best regards

So Topping sends you one directly. I suppose you could get hit with custom charges?

luiccn

I had my E30/L30 stack from amazon.nl. Luckily still in the normal return period so it went back. Replaced with a Motu M2. Not as capable headphone amplifier, but other advantages such as balanced output, little level display, decent headphone amp, mic inputs, 3 years warranty.

OP
S

Sombreuil

Thanks for all the answers!
Regarding the SMSL SH-8, does anyone know if measurements are available?
Also for the Loxjie D30 I read the measurements by amirm (the DAC version), though there is also the class-D amplifier version and was wondering what the differences were?

Top Bottom