• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK Rokit RP10-3 G4 vs Adam Audio T8V

nbot

Hello guys,

I've been lurking here for a while but it seems like it's my first topic here and I'm opening it because I'm kinda puzzled and really need some help.

I was looking for some studio monitors and eventually narrowed down options to RP10-3 and T8V Adams.

I almost ordered KRKs because:
- I wanted flat response as much as possible (given the limited budget)
- Wanted good low end on monitors without subwoofer
- Wanted 3-way monitors
- Wanted 10 inch woofer
- I heard KRKs v4 are way better than previous generations which were not really neutral at least according to some engineers/musicians.

So all was good until I found this:

From what I hear in this video they are actually lacking some mids compared to HS8 (Yamahas sound pretty similar to Adams T8V) and sound kinda V-shaped?
How is it possible? Those monitors cost 2x more than Adams?
Does anybody have RP10s ? Do they really sound so "non-analytic"?

Could it be that the measurement process is wrong in that video? Is it possible that mic placement is wrong as some people suggest in the YT video comments?
Maybe 3-way monitors do some weird phase canceling and it can't be properly recorded with this setup?

Hell, in this comparison even RP8 sounds better than RP10:

I don't have access to Adams or KRKs so I can only read resources on the web.
I'm really interested in your opinions, especially people owning either of the mentioned monitors

Thank you!

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I get more information from the side of a carton of milk, than I do by listening to a compressed, room-dominated, unscientific speaker music testing on YouTube.

That aside, stick around for a bit, and Amir will measure his Yamaha HS8 (or was it HS7?) soon. Then, at least you can eliminate that option if it doesn’t suit your needs.

I’m not on pc, but I believe the higher end KRK’s were measured by some German magazine. So you’ll have data to look.

OP
N

nbot

I get more information from the side of a carton of milk, than I do by listening to a compressed, room-dominated, unscientific speaker music testing on YouTube.

That aside, stick around for a bit, and Amir will measure his Yamaha HS8 (or was it HS7?) soon. Then, at least you can eliminate that option if it doesn’t suit your needs.

I’m not on pc, but I believe the higher end KRK’s were measured by some German magazine. So you’ll have data to look.
Thank you Sweetchaos - much appreciated!

As a matter of fact any information would be really helpful :)
Also - HS8 would be really fantastic to see measured indeed

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
KRK RP 10-3 (Gen 3?) was measured by SoundAndRecording.de on 2016-11-04.

1610230962169.png

As you can tell, it's not Gen 4 that's currently advertised on krk website.
1610230998068.png

Frequency Response:
1610231026621.png

Total Harmonic Distortion (3% and 10%):
1610231056910.png

Horizontal Directivity/Dispersion:
1610231101966.png

Vertical Directivity/Dispersion:
1610231125309.png

OP
N

nbot

Fantastic, thanks!
It is indeed Gen3, but Gen4 apparently should be better

Lorenzo74

Fantastic, thanks!
It is indeed Gen3, but Gen4 apparently should be better
why don't you wait for adam t7v review? IMHO better woofer to tweeter integration than t8v almost same mid of t5v (favourably reviewed) but better bottom end. Heil tweeter is another planet respect to silk dome..
eventually look at Kali LP6-8
best

OP
N

nbot

why don't you wait for adam t7v review? IMHO better woofer to tweeter integration than t8v almost same mid of t5v (favourably reviewed) but better bottom end. Heil tweeter is another planet respect to silk dome..
eventually look at Kali LP6-8
best
Do you mean better woofer-to-tweeter integration because of better power split between the two?
I'm actually surprised T7V is rated better than T8V in some articles

Kali looks good too and HS8 is tempting as well, pretty sure I'll never make the decision :)

Lorenzo74

Do you mean better woofer-to-tweeter integration because of better power split between the two?
I'm actually surprised T7V is rated better than T8V in some articles

Kali looks good too and HS8 is tempting as well, pretty sure I'll never make the decision :)

T7V is the product killer in ADAM Audio affordable monitor. unbelievable quality price ratio to me.

adam T series uses same tweeter, same power, same waveguide, almost same crossover point (2.6kHz) with a 5inch T5, 7inch T7 and 8 inch T8.
it means you need to reproduce up to 2.6 with the woofer. 8inch has narrow dispersion beyond 1kHz and it's also heavier and more complex to be controlled and properly damped (check waterfall plot ).
ideally, with 2.6kHz best is to couple with 5-4 inch and use a sub. (adam audio propose a sub for those) or do it with a 7inc and enjoy clean bass down to 39Hz (I'm listening right now to it). 8 inch is a bit stretched for that crossover/tweeter combination. however if you are looking for mid-far field listening capabilities and plenty of bass without the need of a sub just go for the T8 sacrificing a bit of Mid and upper mid clarity.

my ancestors usually said "in medio stat Virtus" virtue is in the middle
Orazio "est modus in rebus" there's a balance in things
Ovidio "medio tutissimus ibis"; following the middle you'll walk very well.
before them in Greece...
Aristotele "μέσον τε καὶ ἄριστον" middle is the best
maybe they were ahead...

(Kali lp6 is incredible good for the price, I had 1:1 listening test vs Adam T7 before purchase...)

OP
N

nbot

Thanks for explanation Lorenzo - so it looks like T8Vs are overstretched in the lows from your description. That would explain it's minor "mudiness"
in some of the videos I saw. In my case sub woofer is off the table for now.
It also looks like I need to read and learn more to make more informed decision...

D

Deleted member 12642

I've got some HS8, don't much care for them . Something about the mid range is off and the whole upper half of the speaker feel nebulous. I've got them in a treated room and just bleh, they're so bland. I use them for mixing and just can't seem to gel with them, really hard to judge elements in the stereo field. I've got a ton of rooms in my house and I tried them in all of them and still don't like them.

I've got a pair of 2030a and old RCA speakers I put nice xovers in that I honestly get much better mix translation with. The imaging on the behringers is really good. Gonna sell the HS8 and get something but not sure what yet. A lot of options.

OP
N

nbot

I've got some HS8, don't much care for them . Something about the mid range is off and the whole upper half of the speaker feel nebulous. I've got them in a treated room and just bleh, they're so bland. I use them for mixing and just can't seem to gel with them, really hard to judge elements in the stereo field. I've got a ton of rooms in my house and I tried them in all of them and still don't like them.

I've got a pair of 2030a and old RCA speakers I put nice xovers in that I honestly get much better mix translation with. The imaging on the behringers is really good. Gonna sell the HS8 and get something but not sure what yet. A lot of options.
Interesting. HS8s get a lot of praise on the web due to their clarity and neutrality. Could it they are too "sterile" for you?

Juhazi

Major Contributor
I've had a single T7V for my bedroom TV for a month now. It sounds good, bass goes surprisingly low and is clean. I measured it lying sideways on the bed, which makes bass elevated.
Adam T7V onax ave port 500ms.jpg

One good thing about Adams is that BR port is on the backside, 800-2kHz noise isn't so disturbing.

Last edited:
Top Bottom