• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK ROKIT 5 Gen 4 Review (Studio Monitor)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Allo all, and amirm, Big fan of the audiofoo busting real world measurements for products and with the review of the KRK above I thought I’d join up and share my experience of them.
Ive been a long time fan of using KRK monitors as for the very modest cost you get a perfectly decent sounding speaker, I previously used KRK Rokit 5 G2’s with a KRK 10s subwoofer and Cambridge Audio DacMagic + but after a recent hifi shopping spree I ended up buying the KRK Rokit 7 G4’s to pair with my 10s sub and Cambridge Audio CXN V2 network streamer.
I’ve had the new setup for a few months now and can say that I’ve listened to more music in that time than I have listened over the previous year, some of that can be put down to the ease of use/integration that the CXN V2 has with my ssd library and tidal/roon subscription, especially when sat down away from the iMac using an iPad to navigate my library/roon but that shouldn’t take anything away from the fact that the KRK 7 G4 pairs extremely well with the KRK 10s sub, much more so than its smaller/older brother, very happy with the performance of the Rokit 7’s for such a reasonable cost and these have a substantially more powerful amp compared to the Rokit 5 G4’s so distortion is a total non issue.

50835160652_ce9c70ffab_k.jpg

50933083712_9999f45162_k.jpg

Somafunk

Major Contributor
All the acoustic treatment in my room is from GIK Acoustics , including the tri traps in the corner. Very pleased with the overall sound in the room now it’s all been treated, still got a floor to go down but corona has put that on hold for now. I’ve spent more on room treatment than what my system cost if you discount the iMac which holds my library/roon core. No point in attempting to get decent audio quality in a poor room, I see so many very expensive systems (I consider £10k+ to be expensive, yeah....I’m cheap) on other “hifi” forums that are placed in highly reflective rooms and my ears cringe at the thought of attempting to listen with enjoyment in such an environment - each to their own I guess but not for me.

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
User configurable PEQ, high pass and delay really needs to become standard on budget monitors. This functionality (and more) has been present since DSP-based crossovers were first introduced but is not typically exposed to the user. The additional cost to the manufacturer is minimal.

D

Deleted member 12642

User configurable PEQ, high pass and delay really needs to become standard on budget monitors. This functionality (and more) has been present since DSP-based crossovers were first introduced but is not typically exposed to the user. The additional cost to the manufacturer is minimal.

I totally agree, but would also argue that it should be easily accessible DSP. I have some KH80 and I can't use the DSP because manual control is only available on an ipad app. I'm probably going to sell them because I can't do anything with the DSP :/

Weeb Labs

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I totally agree, but would also argue that it should be easily accessible DSP. I have some KH80 and I can't use the DSP because manual control is only available on an ipad app. I'm probably going to sell them because I can't do anything with the DSP :/
Absolutely. A simple USB FTDI interface is all that we really need.

Dgob

Hi Somafunk (and ALL),

I have a pair of Rokit 5 Gen 4 speakers that I am using in my developing second system. It fills my small-ish listening room with excellent imaging and tonal balance. It just lacks the detail in the lower and midrange that a decent sub might provide. Hence, I was wondering if you have tried the Gen4 Rokt 5 with the KRK 10s subs? Being mindful here about the problems you suggest you found in matching your old Gen2 Rokit 5's with the sub.

My now redundant main system had a pair of Talon Hawk monitors that were matched with a pair of Velodyne DD12 subs also set up in stereo. The subs were integrated into the listening room and then to the Talon's through my modified Mark Levison 23.5 power amp, which was limited to play down to only 40 Hz, at which point the subs were set up to take over seamlessly. This proved a phenomenal approach, which I am hoping to match in my second system.

Any advice or suggestions around achieving that mid and bottom accuracy will be greatly appreciated.

Dgob

Those were of course the Talon Hawk 2, stand mounts: not their more expensive $40K Firebird siblings. :)

Somafunk

Major Contributor
Hi Dgob : Never tried the G4 Rokit 5's with the 10s sub, I imagine the 8s would be a more suitable match for the 5" driver.
I had previously used my KRK G2 Rokit 5's with the 10s sub very happily for a number of years till last august as one of the Rokit 5's suffered the usual capacitor/board failure leading to loud hissing, I had my 10s sub crossover set to 100hz and very little volume as the sub could easily overpower the 5" driver in the KRK's and give an exaggerated bottom end that the Rokit 5's mid/high range couldn't compete with.

edahl

Anyone have an opinion on how this compares to the JBL 305P MkII and Yamaha HS5?

edahl

this should perform similar to the JBL but better than HS5 IMO
I watched a YouTube demo (I know I know, but it's all I have) between the 305P, HS5 and Rokit 5 G3 (not G4) and they seemed really muddy. Do you think the G4 is considerably better than the G3?

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
I watched a YouTube demo (I know I know, but it's all I have) between the 305P, HS5 and Rokit 5 G3 (not G4) and they seemed really muddy. Do you think the G4 is considerably better than the G3?

I’m new here, but how could a youtube video possibly give any insight into the performance of a particular speaker.

Top Bottom