• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK ROKIT 5 Gen 4 Review (Studio Monitor)

YSC

Major Contributor
Because in purely comparative terms it suggests relative differences in FR.
well, to answer your question from measurement alone I definitely think the G4 is better than the G3 with the waveguide added and DSP, resulting in much better FR.

But I have to say the youtube is completely useless piece of information, in such case your problems I can immediatly come to mind are:

1) you are supposed to be using something worse than the target purchase, which in itself severely coloured the sound already, e.g. if you have a bright speaker/headphone, you would prefer a way too dark monitor in this case and vice versa

2) from the quick view of the video they don't even use repetitive sections of the track to make a comparison, that would induce a lot of illusions.

3) from the FR included in the video the room modes are entirely not corrected in the comparison and likely they don't place in the same location during playback, that makes the FR in the video completely different to what you would actually hear in real life.

So personally I would opt from Amirm's anechoic measurements and the type of room mode correction built in to dive into the real purchase (in my case I upgraded from KEF X300A to the Genelec 8030Cs), this works much better than some random youtube comparison

edahl

well, to answer your question from measurement alone I definitely think the G4 is better than the G3 with the waveguide added and DSP, resulting in much better FR.

But I have to say the youtube is completely useless piece of information, in such case your problems I can immediatly come to mind are:

1) you are supposed to be using something worse than the target purchase, which in itself severely coloured the sound already, e.g. if you have a bright speaker/headphone, you would prefer a way too dark monitor in this case and vice versa

2) from the quick view of the video they don't even use repetitive sections of the track to make a comparison, that would induce a lot of illusions.

3) from the FR included in the video the room modes are entirely not corrected in the comparison and likely they don't place in the same location during playback, that makes the FR in the video completely different to what you would actually hear in real life.

So personally I would opt from Amirm's anechoic measurements and the type of room mode correction built in to dive into the real purchase (in my case I upgraded from KEF X300A to the Genelec 8030Cs), this works much better than some random youtube comparison
I'm aware of these issues. Thanks for answering my question! :)

Dgob

I watched a YouTube demo (I know I know, but it's all I have) between the 305P, HS5 and Rokit 5 G3 (not G4) and they seemed really muddy. Do you think the G4 is considerably better than the G3?

Hi edahl, I do and have owned some very expensive speakers and have recently bought a pair of Rokit 5 G4. While I cannot talk about the G3, I can definitely say that the G4's are transparent. Amir did a review of them that I think might help in appreciating their performance. Good luck.

edahl

Hi edahl, I do and have owned some very expensive speakers and have recently bought a pair of Rokit 5 G4. While I cannot talk about the G3, I can definitely say that the G4's are transparent. Amir did a review of them that I think might help in appreciating their performance. Good luck.
Thank you! The front port does give it some added flexibility over the 305P to be sure ...!

edahl

Very hard decision to buy speakers, but re-watching the video review clinched it and I now have a couple of these guys on the way. Excited!

Dgob

Very hard decision to buy speakers, but re-watching the video review clinched it and I now have a couple of these guys on the way. Excited!
They seem to have taken a few weeks to fully run in and become equally revealing across the high, mid, and bottom end. At first, they sounded brighter around the highs and a little thin around the mids and bottom end in my set-up. I now feel that they will be as good as the accompanying elements of a system and so might be an excellent point to build (or rebuild) around. I run my CDP straight into them but will be using a Topping E30 DAC between them and my current Marantz CD63 Mk2 KI sig. All of which has cost me less than a single power cord that hooks them up!!!

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
They seem to have taken a few weeks to fully run in and become equally revealing across the high, mid, and bottom end. At first, they sounded brighter around the highs and a little thin around the mids and bottom end in my set-up. I now feel that they will be as good as the accompanying elements of a system and so might be an excellent point to build (or rebuild) around. I run my CDP straight into them but will be using a Topping E30 DAC between them and my current Marantz CD63 Mk2 KL sig. All of which has cost me less than a single power cord that hooks them up!!!
Personally I feel that’s your ears ran in with the new more neutral sound signature, measurements suggested that speaker run in don’t make significant difference, but adaptation does

Dgob

Personally I feel that’s your ears ran in with the new more neutral sound signature, measurements suggested that speaker run in don’t make significant difference, but adaptation does
You may well be correct. Psychoacoustics and equalizing of one's ears and expectations are often underestimated. But they have got/sounded better each day. Maybe as my ears have adapted to the higher neutralilty.

Dgob

Still toying with the option of adding a KRK S8.4 sub, just to extend the bottom end. That along with the Topping DAC (and possibly my repaired Marantz CD7 as the replacement transport), could well be my final word on CD playback - within my re-evolving 2 channel hifi system!?

Last edited:

edahl

Hope you enjoy them too.
Thanks, I hope I will too! Slight buyer's remorse telling me that a pair of A3X would be better (with limited space and all), but sadly amir hasn't tested them yet.

Dgob

Thanks, I hope I will too! Slight buyer's remorse telling me that a pair of A3X would be better (with limited space and all), but sadly amir hasn't tested them yet.
I think you are entitled to return the KRK's (or any product) within a limited time after purchase. So maybe you could try out the Adams instead. I'd be interested in hearing back about your impressions if you do decide to try the A3X's.

I'm sure Amir would be willing to test them if you did.

hotdogsandwich

Forum Donor
FWIW, I bought a second pair of G4’s for my office after the first set for home based on Amir’s review. I did use the iphone app to figure out what eq preset to use and they’ve just been great. I’m sure my friends are getting tired of me talking about how nice it is to listen to a near field rig.

edahl

I think you are entitled to return the KRK's (or any product) within a limited time after purchase. So maybe you could try out the Adams instead. I'd be interested in hearing back about your impressions if you do decide to try the A3X's.

I'm sure Amir would be willing to test them if you did.
The KRK's haven't shipped yet so I can still cancel them. I am low-key hoping someone here has any insight on it, haha. The price differential isn't huge.

I'm in Norway btw., so sending equipment to Amir is sadly not feasible.

Dgob

The KRK's haven't shipped yet so I can still cancel them. I am low-key hoping someone here has any insight on it, haha. The price differential isn't huge.

I'm in Norway btw., so sending equipment to Amir is sadly not feasible.
Excellent, I'd hope that sooner or later someone from his own shores will send the Adams to him for an objective assessment. Given that their frequency response seems more restricted than the KRK's, I'm curious about how that affects their overall performance - particularly in the bottom and mid-range areas.

Dgob

I should confess that I am completely blown away by my Rokit 5 G4's, playing my CDP transport through a Topping E30 DAC. And, yes, Amir's reviews have hugely (and somewhat obviously) influenced my purchases here. Yet it all depends on what you're looking for in a system, I suppose. for me, it's neutrality and equipment that lets you experience the full detail of the artists as they performed their music. That old "being there" nirvana.

khark

I can tell you from personal experience that the A3x are not worth the trouble and the money (in contrast with the other bigger Adam speakers). It seems that you have made a solid choice with the G4.

edahl

I can tell you from personal experience that the A3x are not worth the trouble and the money (in contrast with the other bigger Adam speakers). It seems that you have made a solid choice with the G4.
Thanks for sharing your experience! I'll stick with it them!

YSC

Major Contributor
As much as I am fancy of the Adam's tweeter look and feel, and have positive experience with real world listening, from the measurements it seems that the G4 will be a better choice, especially at this price range where DSP is really useful to fix some glitches on drivers or cabinet design from the manufacturer (You can't expect near on axis perfection like those doubling the price in pure analog/design domain). and that the A3X 4.5" driver is really too small to produce bass extension, 60hz cut off point is pretty high. so if choosing between the two I would say the G4 is much better.

edahl

I can just over double the investment for a pair of (hardly used) Genelec 8330SAM (white) + GLM 3.0 and stands. Still Rokits, or are we getting to where it's worth the extra investment?

Top Bottom