• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK ROKIT 5 Gen 4 Review (Studio Monitor)

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
just wonders what is the scales on the measurements are
Sorry I just cut out a bit of the overall REW measurement, so each line is 1 DB - this was the 3DB shelf for the high frequencies. Having played with some Amplifiers with bass and treble tone controls that can vary up to 10DB its odd that Rokit would only allow such small 'presents' - but I guess as a studio monitor in the near field people won't be changing the EQ that dramatically.

Slyman

Anyone care to explain why a speaker with this great a review only gets a rating of 3.6?

Judging from what i read from amirs review this should be the #1 cheap monitor buy, but the preference rating puts it way below adam, focal, kali etc.?

Dgob

YSC

Major Contributor
Sorry I just cut out a bit of the overall REW measurement, so each line is 1 DB - this was the 3DB shelf for the high frequencies. Having played with some Amplifiers with bass and treble tone controls that can vary up to 10DB its odd that Rokit would only allow such small 'presents' - but I guess as a studio monitor in the near field people won't be changing the EQ that dramatically.
That’s quite acceptable FR out of the box then. The drop in hf in your plot seems like the highest octave having directivity issue so rolled off at slight off axis or room reflections I guess. How about horizontal scale? Full 20-20khz?

Raz

I just realised how good these are for the price. I had plans to "upgrade" and save space om my desk at the same time so I ordered the Iloud MTM's. I a/b'd the monitors on a track I'm working on where I made subtile changes to the sound of the bassline with Waves vitamin and Denise XL vst's, mostly affecting the region between 50- 250hz. On the MTM's I could bearly hear the difference turning the vst's on and off - they sound quite muffled, but on the KRK's the difference was crystal clear. The MTM's will be going back.

Jeromeof

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I actually forgot to post the measurements I made - so here goes.

This test was in my totally untreated kitchen which I know has room modes (and I usually have separate EQ settings beyond the Rokit G4 based ones ) - but I thought it would be interesting for people to see what minor differences the various Rokit 5 G4 EQ settings make. In fairness they only talk about +/- 2db or +/- 3db changes on both the high and low settings. So anyway just to see what effect these EQ settings have I did a bunch of different measurements starting with Neutral and then applying in turn just the Low 1, Low 2, Low 4 and Low 5 (i.e. Low 3 is neutral) and similarly with the various High (treble) settings.

My take away from this test is mostly I think it having some other DSP / EQ is vital (especially for me with the room modes) but the Rokit's exhibit a boosted treble.
1675341041445.png

Here are the same measurements zoomed in a bit:
1675341336397.png

B-Flow

My RP7 G4s (one size up from RP5s in this thread) recently arrived and I am horrified by the extent of hiss even without a source connected. I live in a city with a high noise floor and yet can hear the hiss from >3m away without trying to listen for it. Gain setting makes no difference and both units are as bad as each other.

I bought them after liking the RP5s in store and did not notice any hiss from those, although in my naivety I was not listening for it.

I have heard several reports that the RP7 is worse for hiss than the RP5. Can anyone confirm?

Either way my RP7s are going back. So disappointed.
Either something wrong with your units (hard to believe you just happen to get two bad ones) or there is something wrong with your setup. The RP7 is DEAD silent at idle. Literally have to have you ear up against them to hear any hiss ay idle.

PhantomFoxes

I know this is not a forum about modifications but I have been playing with the krk for a while and I have to say that from my perspective they are not bad but, the cost reduction yes

If you like to take things apart you can do 3 of them on the monitors to improve them a little:

1.- You can increase the power of the amplifier a little by modifying the power supply, this is noticeable at higher volumes

2.- Between the woofer and the wall of the tuning tube there is no absorbent material and you can add a little to reduce the resonances of the woofer

3.-You can open the tweeter and change the absorbent material for a better one and fill the small non-resonant cavity, I used cotton

Results: I don’t know how to explain the difference, I just know that I felt it in my skin, the differences are subtle but very present

Is it worth it? I think so, the delicate sounds of music never sound the same again

YSC

Major Contributor
I know this is not a forum about modifications but I have been playing with the krk for a while and I have to say that from my perspective they are not bad but, the cost reduction yes

If you like to take things apart you can do 3 of them on the monitors to improve them a little:

1.- You can increase the power of the amplifier a little by modifying the power supply, this is noticeable at higher volumes

2.- Between the woofer and the wall of the tuning tube there is no absorbent material and you can add a little to reduce the resonances of the woofer

3.-You can open the tweeter and change the absorbent material for a better one and fill the small non-resonant cavity, I used cotton

Results: I don’t know how to explain the difference, I just know that I felt it in my skin, the differences are subtle but very present

Is it worth it? I think so, the delicate sounds of music never sound the same again
I think better do some quick measurement before and after to make sure it didn't worsen the objective performance and the effect isn't psychological, especially when dempening the interior might induce some FR change, the speaker originally was tuned with DSP also, modding the amp alone could throw the balance off

PhantomFoxes

I think better do some quick measurement before and after to make sure it didn't worsen the objective performance and the effect isn't psychological, especially when dempening the interior might induce some FR change, the speaker originally was tuned with DSP also, modding the amp alone could throw the balance off
Here's a quick measurement

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    59.3 KB · Views: 112
D

Deleted member 60987

Anyone care to explain why a speaker with this great a review only gets a rating of 3.6?

Judging from what i read from amirs review this should be the #1 cheap monitor buy, but the preference rating puts it way below adam, focal, kali etc.?
True. They have become one of the most popular studio monitors around. But what are they rated on, flatness or enjoyability? I thought the Adam Audio T5V sounded better than anything in the room. M-Audio, Rokit, JBL and Yamaha. But the reverse is true. Are they flatter than the others? Including their own T7V?

PeteL

Major Contributor
True. They have become one of the most popular studio monitors around. But what are they rated on, flatness or enjoyability? I thought the Adam Audio T5V sounded better than anything in the room. M-Audio, Rokit, JBL and Yamaha. But the reverse is true. Are they flatter than the others? Including their own T7V?
Well I don’t think this review suggest the krk is. the #1 to get in low cost. Adam T5V objectively performs better in all aspects, including but not limited to frequency response.I also subjectively think they are a notch above all these mentioned in the price range.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
that box(?) resonance and cancelation around 650 Hz-ish?
unusable at 96dB, even if you high pass to a sub?

TV5 looks not a notch, but a category above (on paper).

Rowaj

Is it possible to set values for each band manualy? I'd like to encrease amout of low frequenties (predefined +2db is not enaugh)
I found pic like below, that make me think how to do it. In that example somebody set exactly opposite that I want.
1685897145357.png

Last edited:

jedics

Howdy, just bought the Mr4's for my mums Samsung tv, they get a pass for music and even movies that are well recorded but on lesser quality content the intelligibility really suffers especially when certain ambient sounds are also present.

The M4's tend to squash sounds together rather than project openess and seperation, anyway I will just say I know there are better speakers for the job, like mine, but she can't have them :) Im thinking of spending a bit more and getting the T5V's.

Anyone know what Im talking about? and have experience with both speakers?

WOLFAGRAM

I have been living for two and a half months with a pair of these KRK Rokit 5s for casual listening at home (together with a KRK S8.4 sub) of my eclectic CD collection (courtesy of Marantz CD6007, Schiit Sys, and some Sommer Cables). They are not my only stereo system, for streaming I have another completely independent system.

I could write long about them, but one thing that stands apart for me: They are dead silent up to moderate listening levels. Absolutely no perceptible noise/distortions some associate with D-Class amps. Especially when listening to classical music, one can also easily hear that hiss is almost not to be heard at all. Only when I bring my ear to less than 0.5 m from tweeter, I can tell that they are powered on, but even that only during nights or weekends when my apartment gets very quiet (I live in a high rise CBD that is a ghost town outside of office hours). I guess that the glowing logo is more than marketing trick for these boxes: It tells you that the if speakers are off, in stand-by, or on. Based solely on the amp/driver noises, it is almost impossible to tell.

On top of that, mine are: "White noise limited edition", which makes them IMO look less like an entry level studio monitors, and more like a pair of proper hi-fi speakers, perhaps even 2-3 times the price. Good thing is that they also used appropriate back panel, instead of screwing in the same black coloured panel from black version. The only thing that gives them out - there are no "Left" and "Right" speakers like with hi-fi (and even some studio monitors), but rather both boxes have KRK logo to the left, when looked at from front.

If I would try to find something to complain about, that would be only that the front removable baffle seems to have slightly uneven gaps, but that is only in very small amount and the baffle itself is tightly fixed to the bow. I believe the problem is less visible on standard black edition, and all together not unexpected in this price range. If I were someone recording professional, or someone who likes to mess with sound, I would also have a problem with lack of proper parametric EQ, but I am not and these speakers are a bargain for how they sound and function.

To cut it short, I like very much how they sound (even without a sub), I like how they look and how little I had to pay to get my hands on them. They are fun for casual listening of wide range of music (lively but controlled, yet not too "clinical" and some jazz CDs I own even sound warm). If I had to work professionally with sound, I would probably get something with higher specs (primarily higher wattage), proper parametric EQ and digital inputs (for example Adam S2V), but for enjoying music at home - these little KRKs are great. I would rate my user satisfaction with 4.5 (out of 5 stars).:)

Attachments

• IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    174 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_3763.jpg
    IMG_3763.jpg
    175.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited:
Top Bottom