• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

KRK 10S2 subwoofer with Genelec 8030C

evansj57

Hi,

I'd like to add a subwoofer to my Genelec 8030C's. The only models available in the country where I live are:
Genelec 7040 $750
Genelec 7340 7350 $1,150
KRK 10S2 $300

I have read that the 7040 is underwhelming, while with the 7340 7350, I will be paying for a SAM speaker but won't be able to use GLM.

So for the price it would seem that the KRK 10S2 is a no-brainer unless there are any major issues with using it with the 8030C's?

Last edited:

Peluvius

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
How big is your room? Seems like a strange list of available subs, may I ask where you are located?

Peluvius

Forum Donor
Maybe you should open up a subwoofer distribution business :cool:

The 8030C has pretty good bass already for its size and intended application so you need something decent to have an impact. Do you listen at high levels?

I suggest the 7040 will significantly outperform the KRK. I agree there is little point in going for the 7340 if you cant use GLM.

Do you have an opportunity to try them before you buy them?

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What about a 7050? Far cheaper than a 7340 and more than a 7040.

OP
E

evansj57

Not with the high customs duties here. The models I mentioned are reasonably priced because they are professional models and I suppose incur lower duty. There may be other professional subwoofers here that I have not found - I have only searchde online. But I don't think there are any consumer or HiFi subwoofers here at all, unless part of a TV surroundsound system.

I don't think I will be able to try them out at home before I buy.

OP
E

evansj57

What about a 7050? Far cheaper than a 7340 and more than a 7040.
Not available. Maybe I could order but, given the current economic situation, might not be such a good deal and could be take a while to arrive.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not with the high customs duties here. The models I mentioned are reasonably priced because they are professional models and I suppose incur lower duty. There may be other professional subwoofers here that I have not found - I have only searchde online. But I don't think there are any consumer or HiFi subwoofers here at all, unless part of a TV surroundsound system.

I don't think I will be able to try them out at home before I buy.
The duty would not be higher then a 7340.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
E

evansj57

It's actually the 7350 that is available, not the 7340. I have corrected the opening post, sorry for the confusion.

Peluvius

Forum Donor
With the information so far presented, if I were you I would go for the 7350. You have gone to the trouble and expense to buy the 8030C and they deserve a decent sub to pair with. The KRK gear has its place but not in the same league as the Genelec gear. If "professional" is the availability criteria maybe you can also look for Adam, Neuman, Hedd?

You wont be disappointed with the 7350 however and it will give you the full range experience in that size room.

OP
E

evansj57

With the information so far presented, if I were you I would go for the 7350. You have gone to the trouble and expense to buy the 8030C and they deserve a decent sub to pair with. The KRK gear has its place but not in the same league as the Genelec gear. If "professional" is the availability criteria maybe you can also look for Adam, Neuman, Hedd?

You wont be disappointed with the 7350 however and it will give you the full range experience in that size room.
How about this? https://btech.com/en/media-tech-9900w-subwoofer.html :D

Actually, I can't find other brands in stock, at least not online.

The 7350 is almost as much as I paid for both 8030C's, and I am not sure it's worth that much to me.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Peluvius

Forum Donor
How about this? https://btech.com/en/media-tech-9900w-subwoofer.html :D

Actually, I can't find other brands in stock, at least not online.

The 7350 is almost as much as I paid for both 8030C's, and I am not sure it's worth that much to me.

That thing looks scary to me but I am afraid I would be in guessing territory to suggest I have any idea what it would sound like.

It seems you have a decision to make based on your budgetary constraints and have already put the choices available to you in good order. Let us know how you go!

OP
E

evansj57

That thing looks scary to me but I am afraid I would be in guessing territory to suggest I have any idea what it would sound like.

It seems you have a decision to make based on your budgetary constraints and have already put the choices available to you in good order. Let us know how you go!
So I think will go for the 7040. I am not going to be listening at high levels and others seem to have had success in similar sized rooms: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...genelec-7040a-sub-to-my-8030c-monitors.27024/

Top Bottom