• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Krell KSA 100 MK2

TankTop

Local HiFi store has Ann excellent condition Krell KSA 100 mk2 stereo amp for $1,500. I don’t mind the space heater function but how difficult would this be to repair as it ages? Other than heat and it’s lack of an energy star rating are there any other downsides to this amp?

Doodski

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
It's a beast. Very beasty amp. You will require a variable temperature good'n fairly powerful soldering iron for working this sort of unit. The PCBs and larger parts will sink heat from a iron fast. The hand tools required will be assorted from light duty to medium duty. It apparently has 3 relays in it. Those may or may not have issues. All in all if it is mint and working it's a nice amp. I doubt you can find better for a mint unit that operates well. The parts availability may or may not be good. Until one attempts sourcing parts like semiconductors one never knows if they are common and available. Power supply caps are beasty and may or may not have issue. It's a nice unit. It would be exciting to work on. Try and find a service manual online. I found a schematic but it was made by hand and that's not the best.
krell-ksa100-mkii b.jpg

krell-ksa100-mkii c.jpg

krell-ksa100-mkii d.jpg

krell-ksa100-mkii.jpg

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I own one of these amps. Two downsides - the weight of it means I can't lift it on my own (although I can drag it about) and in the summer it heats the room to beyond comfortable levels. (Although warm summer days here are quite rare so that's not so much of a problem. if you live in the tropics then it's a non-starter).

As far as I am aware there are no unobtainable parts. If you need a schematic e-mail Krell. I did that for a KSA50S and they supplied it within the hour.

charleski

Major Contributor
I saw Forbidden Planet on TV when I was 10. This led to me spending many nights lying awake under the covers frantically straining my ears to hear if the invisible monster was coming to get me. Luckily I knew by then that a light-year was a very long distance, which meant the monster wouldn't have time to get to me before morning came....

But I still remember that period and there's no way I'd let the Krell into my house!

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
lol 'Forbidden Planet' was the reason I bought my first Krell. So far no monsters from the Id have come around, but I suppose there's still time yet.

sq225917

Major Contributor
The small signal transistors are still available if you know where to look, avoid ebay though. Output devices can still be had, nothing else is hard to find apart from the roe caps which have long since been surpassed.

zeyankov

Hello. I need some help. Can someone tell me how to mount new fans? Old ones are removed from previous owner. On which direction is the airflow? To bottom of the amplifier, or to aluminum cooling system (inside)?

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hello. I need some help. Can someone tell me how to mount new fans? Old ones are removed from previous owner. On which direction is the airflow? To bottom of the amplifier, or to aluminum cooling system (inside)?
On the Mark 2 the fans should blow upwards so warm air is expelled through the vents in the top of the case.

Then you can stand over it and get a good warm in the winter. :)

sq225917

Major Contributor
Which is an odd choice because it sucks all the crap off the floor and covers your heatsinks with it. I guess it's going with the heat convection rather than against it

DonR

Major Contributor
Which is an odd choice because it sucks all the crap off the floor and covers your heatsinks with it. I guess it's going with the heat convection rather than against it
Once forced induction (a fan) is involved, convection does not enter into the equation. It is a rounding error.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The mark one has the fans blowing downwards, they changed it for the mark two because that was considered to be an odd choice.

Really if you have any sort of fan mounted in any arrangement it is going to suck in crap, I don't see an answer to that other than keep the room laboratory-grade clean.

Dolor

Hi, I am just buying a krell KSA100 MK 2. Is there any hint I should know before buying the MKII version.
Any important differences between KSA100 and a KSA100 MKII?
Thanks in advannce

Chiily

When I built a KSA50 clone I had the fan at the bottom blowing upwards, I did put a fine fabric mesh/filter on the base of the amp to try and cut down on an dust/crap ingress.

Every so often I take the top and bottom off the amp and hoover out any dust that the filter didn't catch.

Top Bottom