• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Kong: Skull Island

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Went to the standard (not IMAX) screen to see Kong: Skull Island tonight.
Very short and sweet.
Whoever wrote the scripts should be horse whipped. Most everything I don't like about La La Land and their BS are all rolled up in one. That kind of just killed the rest of it for me.
Nothing special to write home about in the filming. Some good scenery and the CGI/monsters aren't bad, but nothing special either.
Best part of the movie is the sound and the immersive mix. Not sure about the details of this cinema's system, but if you have a good home theater system that might make it a bit fun to hear. VERY active surrounds with lots of jungle sounds coming from all around do a good job of making you feel you are right there thru most of the movie.
When the BluRay hits RedBox I'll rent it for $2 just to see how my rig fares.

astr0b0y

I'm a fan of MUTOs in general so its gets an easy pass mark for me just for that. Totally agree with your assessment of script. I saw this a few weeks ago at a midday session on its opening day. Nice middle seat, slightly back from centre row - surround and immersive audio was superb - cinema was not Atmos enabled. I had a family of 5 behind me, 3 brothers maybe 6, 8 and 10. Their commentary was hilarious and really made the experience far more enjoyable. Maybe that's what they're going for? A theatre patronised by rowdy commenters, guffawing at every line fudge and mark missed.
I'm looking forward to watching it again at home too and seeing what rumbles it produces, from the subs and the others in the room!

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Nice middle seat, slightly back from centre row - surround and immersive audio was superb - cinema was not Atmos enabled
Yes the theater I went to wasn't a Atmos either, though they do have a nice array of around 4 speakers down each side.
From the moment they arrive on Skull Island till the closing credits, the room was alive with the sounds of the jungle from all directions. With all the overhead screen action going on, I imagine a well done Atmos replay would be able to showcase this flix mix in a very kool manner, I'd love to hear it like that!

My rooms so small I don't know if it will support a Atmos arrangement but I intend on giving a go with at least one small overhead speaker on each side with my next processor upgrade. ;)

OP
Sal1950

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Well the 4k BD is out and I just had to grab it. The 4k HDR master is very well done, one of the most impressive uses of HDR I've yet experienced, quite a few just impressed me as being a bit too dark. And yep, the exceptionally well exercised use of the surround channels I experience at the theater transferred over well to the DTS-Master HD soundtrack. A note on that, if my memory serves me, this is the first BD I've seen that includes both a Dolby Atmos and DTS-HD MA 5.1 soundtrack option. Seems the ones that have come in Atmos before, didn't include a std 5.1 too? Although I do intend to add Atmos to my rig at some point, I felt as though I might be suffering some degradation when having to use a Atmos track on a 5.2 only system. I may be wrong or mis-reading the tech here?
I don't buy many movies, to me they have to be the equivalent of a HDA music release, a movie I enjoyed very much, that also offers SOTA technology in sound and video reproduction. So glad I wasn't disappointed with this purchase.
IMHO, this is one to own.

Top Bottom