• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

(known) Problems with Marantz Cinema Series

slacki

I thought i create a little thread so others can add things they notice that do not work. Please only list things that are real bugs, not features that are missing (like all that dirac stuff).
As the support gives a sh... when reporting those, maybe someone else will read that with some more "influence" to marantz ;)

I own a cinema 50 and have following problems:
- CEC does often not work. When i power on the AVR (Cinema 50), my HTPC and my TV are still dead. I have to power it on for about 3 or 4 times to get it working. If at all. Thats why i usually power on the TV, then the AVR turns on at about a 50% rate
- When using crossover at 80hz/100hz, the center gets all signals, no matter how deep they are
- Tone dies completely after playing some specific auro3d content - have to reboot the AVR
- not so critical, but also a bit annoying: the menu is quiet slow when started and when changing the tone format the avr gives no sound signal for about 2-3 seconds (iirc my 7011 didn't do that)

I too have a Cinema 50, but I have not noticed any of these as of yet. CEC has worked perfect for me so far. The only thing I noticed was when I first ran the setup, my front heights were not working. After a reset and making sure firmware was updated I ran the setup again and all channels are working now.

OP
S

slacki

I too have a Cinema 50, but I have not noticed any of these as of yet. CEC has worked perfect for me so far. The only thing I noticed was when I first ran the setup, my front heights were not working. After a reset and making sure firmware was updated I ran the setup again and all channels are working now.
can you try to play this auro3d test with auromatic and then play something else from the same streaming device?
i use a htpc with coreelec->hdmi to the marantz, when i play that and try to play something else, i have no sound anymore ;D
i did not test it for a few days now, but would be interesting if you encounter the same, guess mine would still be silent after that
not really sure where that "kill"-sound comes from, if its some specific thingen that is sent from coreelec or from the youtube addon or ... something else

OP
S

slacki

wierd, tested it yesterday and had the same problem again. maybe i will put that on a usb drive and see what happens. maybe my htpc does something evil that kills the avr

OP
S

slacki

i extracted the m4a from the video and put that on a usb stick and tried to play it - no chance, the avr goes nuts.
can you try to put that on a usb stick and play it?

wondering if this is a bug or if i have a broken device

OP
S

slacki

the update from yesterday fixed the problem with the crossover of the center, yay
but the auro3d test file still "breaks" the audio

OP
S

slacki

i found another problem: the marantz does not work with the wifi 5ghz very well... i dont know exactly which channels are not supported, but my router wanted to use 157 and the marantz was not able to find any of my networks, and when i check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_WLAN_channels, this channel should be supported
changed it now to 52 and it works, will see which one i use now... unfortunately, the marantz customer support sucks hard. when i report anything to them, i never get an answer back.

Last edited:

danielmaciel

Smart Select function has bugs - saving and restoring will wipe all speaker Level settings.

OP
S

slacki

The Cinema 50 does not save the last output it was using. Its always TV/Audio, whereas it should switch to HDMI1 which is Coreelec. I have to manually select it with the remote, then kodi starts on hdmi1. Sometimes it even switches back to TV/Audio.

kalexan9

I thought i create a little thread so others can add things they notice that do not work. Please only list things that are real bugs, not features that are missing (like all that dirac stuff).
As the support gives a sh... when reporting those, maybe someone else will read that with some more "influence" to marantz ;)

I own a cinema 50 and have following problems:
- CEC does often not work. When i power on the AVR (Cinema 50), my HTPC and my TV are still dead. I have to power it on for about 3 or 4 times to get it working. If at all. Thats why i usually power on the TV, then the AVR turns on at about a 50% rate
- When using crossover at 80hz/100hz, the center gets all signals, no matter how deep they are
- Tone dies completely after playing some specific auro3d content - have to reboot the AVR
- not so critical, but also a bit annoying: the menu is quiet slow when started and when changing the tone format the avr gives no sound signal for about 2-3 seconds (iirc my 7011 didn't do that)
Sounds like you may have a dud.

danielmaciel

The four buttons close to the bottom of the remote labeled 1 through 4 and it says "Smart Select" above them

broncogr

Firmware from 05.04.2023 (U30.05)
HEOS iOS App (2.98.130)
HEOS Android App / Kindle Fire App (2.98.130)
HEOS Firmware: HS2 devices (2.98.130)
HEOS FY23 AVR (2.98.132)
Households with only HS1 devices will remain on version 1.583.147 (U25.10)
Households with both HS1 and HS2 devices, HS1 devices will remain on 2.71.510 (U29.3)
  • Fixed: After updating to U30, the "Quick Select" option will not save Levels or Distance setting.
  • Fixed: Set "Subwoofers" to "2spks" in "Speakers" > "Manual Setup" > "Speaker Layout", once configured to front/rear layout, the left/right layout cannot be stored anymore.
  • Fixed: HEOS module for product function (Factory Restore).
FY23 AVR - Please note before updating to U30.05 in relation to the "Quick Select" fix mentioned above.
1) If AVR has set "Audyssey Setup", please operate "Audyssey Setup Restore" again.
2) If AVR has not set "Audyssey Setup", please set "Distance" and "Level" manually again.

Other bugfixes and performance improvements

danielmaciel

How do I check if I have that installed? When I go to General -> Information -> Firmware the numbers I see are completely different from those:

6000-4265-6031-8790
DTS version 4.30.10.15

danielmaciel

Also, I have this 1s latency when using it to play sounds from my handheld gaming device via bluetooth (delay not seen when using bluetooth headsets for instance), even in GAME mode.
Makes it unusable for that purpose. Does anyone know of a fix?

Dodgethis

Also, I have this 1s latency when using it to play sounds from my handheld gaming device via bluetooth (delay not seen when using bluetooth headsets for instance), even in GAME mode.
Makes it unusable for that purpose. Does anyone know of a fix?
I’ve had sync issues with the display lagging behind the audio by about 1s, got it down to about 200ms by disabling lipsync

Top Bottom