• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Knives. Knifethread.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I'm happy to see a few people are also posting kitchen knives. We got these while living in Japan... we should have gotten more (other types).

1621426283879.png

AlmaAtaKZ

I like good knives, but I am not ‘into’ knives, and yet I just bought one of these fixed angle sharpening devices. I like my knives sharp.
I really like multitools! Have Leatherman Wave, Skeletool and two small ones. A couple victorinoxes, too. I suppose it is their mechanical nature and precise fit that I appreciate.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Gee, just looking at these makes that spot on my back hurt where my final employer stabbed me.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I am not much into knifes but my favorite is a Wüsthof Grand Prix 2 that I use only for barbecue.

wusthof-chef-grand-prix-ii-8-4585-20_1_1200.jpg

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
Amazing, you guys. There's a whole other world of forums, collectors and knife aficionados out there.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Slicing meat. Often used by sushi chefs.
Exactly. Use it for both. Hated cutting sushi with standard chef knives as it would make a mess. This Miyabi Mizu slices through meat like it is not there! Juices stay inside steaks and such.

devopsprodude

Exactly. Use it for both. Hated cutting sushi with standard chef knives as it would make a mess. This Miyabi Mizu slices through meat like it is not there! Juices stay inside steaks and such.
Yeah, Miyabi makes good stuff that's more on the mass produced end of things, and SG2 is a good stainless steel, especially for people who either don't want to constantly clean their high carbon knives, or don't know that's even a thing.

You'll have a hard time finding knives made from a higher end steel for the same price as a Miyabi SG2. Similar Shuns will be significantly more expensive, and not as good. At some point, I'll probably replace the Shuns we have with Miyabis. I'd like to get a nakiri that's SG2 so it's easy for others to use and take care of, but the Miyabi nakiris have kind of a weird profile.

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
It is possible to get a decent sushi/fish knife for $20:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BC84TQ/

The key is, even though it is monosteel/440-type and relatively soft, it is single-bevel and relatively acute.

Now single-bevel does take a bit of practice to get used to. Compared to usual double-bevel, you will first think 'it doesn't cut straight'..And without proper pressure, it doesn't.

But once you master it, for perfectly thin, undamaged slices, you will never go back to a double-bevel 'axe'.. Fish - or beef roast slicer.. It's great.

Nothing better to cleanly remove that Salmon skin, either. Just don't put in dishwasher. And Never use a 'western' knife sharpener of any type..

Now if you have a bit more $$ to spare:
https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ki30yabl2.html

Last edited:

Cahudson42

Major Contributor
wife wants a knife set in a nice wood block. Should we blow $1,000 on a Wusthof set?
Would you buy this for your HT:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004M18O60/
If so, the Wusthof..

Seriously, forget the wood block. Buy individual knives. You don't need many. Say a decent 210mm Gyuto to start. https://www.chefknivestogo.com/ is a good place to learn and buy.

These days you can get decent stainless. I'd suggest avoiding carbon or carbon laminated to start. One mistake in care and you have rust -'and worse - edge pitting. However, a problem with stainless, even expensive German sets, can be low hardness and poor edge durability. 55-58 HRC is common. Good Japanese will be 61 to 65 (beyond 65 you risk chipping).

Like audio, chef knives have diminishing returns as price escalates. My 'everyday' knife is this $60 210mm : https://www.chefknivestogo.com/riariigy21.html

Consider making your own rack. (Blocks waste counter space) Here's mine - a board, a Harbor Freight magnet tool bar, dowels at an angle: (Never hang knives vertical from a horizontal magnet bar. Dangerous..)

1621480489757.png

Last edited:

PaulD

IMG_4966.jpeg

Picked these up in Kapabashi back when we could travel... They are my favourites!

IMG_2055.jpeg

Here is the daily driver set in the kitchen - really I use the 4 on the right for 95% of things.

Last edited:
Top Bottom